Disney Digs Deep Into Marvel's Sack Of Obscure Superheros

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I’ve heard from a good source, the voices in my head, that Disney is going to put Marvel meet and greets in every resort and have the Hulk welcome you to the buses at MCO. It is also going to force every marvel product to carry the Disney tag ahead of the Marvel Logo.

I’ve also been able to work out by reading a blog by someone Im sure is in the know, that Disney will smash Universal, so that by getting rid of the competition it can ease back on all the expense of trying to improve things as they are very popular as it is and to waste money adding and changing things if there is no competition would be irresponsible to shareholders and erode management bonuses
,Just wait, law enforcement will prove me right.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I’ve heard from a good source, the voices in my head, that Disney is going to put Marvel meet and greets in every resort and have the Hulk welcome you to the buses at MCO. It is also going to force every marvel product to carry the Disney tag ahead of the Marvel Logo.

I’ve also been able to work out by reading a blog by someone Im sure is in the know, that Disney will smash Universal, so that by getting rid of the competition it can ease back on all the expense of trying to improve things as they are very popular as it is and to waste money adding and changing things if there is no competition would be irresponsible to shareholders and erode management bonuses
,Just wait, law enforcement will prove me right.

So right, and yet so wrong at the same time. :sohappy:

jakeman

NOTE TO MODS: -- And, frankly, this thread has NO PLACE in WDW News and Rumors. This belongs in either Disney Business or on the UNI Board (is there one for Hollywood since the only news here is very old news regarding THAT park?) :xmas:
Why don't you let Steve and the others do their job as they see fit?

I'm pretty sure they don't need you to tell them where things should go in their own forums.

Phonedave

I think we need to see Ravage in Tomorrowland, he would be perfect to hang out with push.

I think thats about as obscure a Marvel character I can dig up off the top of my head, seing as I have not bough a comic in 20 years (when I used to spend waaaaaay to much money on them - still have them as a matter of fact)

-dave

SMRT-1

WDW1974....I think we are having an interesting enough conversation here, so whats the difference where it is....and sorry if its "old" to you, its "new" to me....I dont live with Disney up my rear all day, sorry, I have a life.
The conversation is pleasant enough, there's no bashing as far as I can see, let it be. There are like 54 forums not including SUB forums....I know IM NOT reading through them all just to find the EXACT to the T correct forum..

must be a slow day for peeping toms of the walt disney company :lol:

EPCOT Explorer

Sigh...Marvel characters invading MK just seems so Magic-Less to me.

DHS, certainly would be a different story....

I feel very much the same way about the Muppets. For Disneyland, it is just fine, but Magic Kingdom at WDW, they seem VERY out of place.

I agree, too.

Theoritically, I don't want anything else in DL, even ST and IJA. It's supposed to be DISNEY only. the only reason they get the pass, is the superior theming and execution of story.

Marvel is REALLY pushing it, though. Hope it does not happen. DHS, would be better.

wickedfan07

I agree, too.

Theoritically, I don't want anything else in DL, even ST and IJA. It's supposed to be DISNEY only. the only reason they get the pass, is the superior theming and execution of story.

Marvel is REALLY pushing it, though. Hope it does not happen. DHS, would be better.

I really don't think you have to worry about Marvel comics-based attractions being built inside Disneyland or the Magic Kingdom. If an attraction ever comes about I would think you'd see it built in Hollywood Studios or California Adventure's Hollywood area. I don't think Disney would blindly place Marvel characters in the Magic Kingdom when there are far better places to put them. DHS makes much more sense because (1) comics are a form of entertainment and (2) the park could use an additional attraction.

As for Star Tours and Indiana Jones in Disneyland...I really don't see the problem. Have you ever been to DL? Have you seen how those attractions fit into the stories of their respective lands? As for non-Disney stories being told inside the gates of MK or DL, I don't see a problem with it as long as Disney's storytelling standards are retained in the attraction and in the area the attracxtion is located. If it's a good story, let's tell it! Who cares if Disney originated it? I really don't see any issue with having Star Tours or Indiana Jones in DL. If it weren't for our studios park, they'd probably be in our MK, too. (And the GMR would be rather out of place in Future World, too, which would probably send a bunch of people over the edge.)

EPCOT Explorer

I really don't think you have to worry about Marvel comics-based attractions being built inside Disneyland or the Magic Kingdom. If an attraction ever comes about I would think you'd see it built in Hollywood Studios or California Adventure's Hollywood area. I don't think Disney would blindly place Marvel characters in the Magic Kingdom when there are far better places to put them. DHS makes much more sense because (1) comics are a form of entertainment and (2) the park could use an additional attraction.

As for Star Tours and Indiana Jones in Disneyland...I really don't see the problem. Have you ever been to DL? Have you seen how those attractions fit into the stories of their respective lands? As for non-Disney stories being told inside the gates of MK or DL, I don't see a problem with it as long as Disney's storytelling standards are retained in the attraction and in the area the attracxtion is located. If it's a good story, let's tell it! Who cares if Disney originated it? I really don't see any issue with having Star Tours or Indiana Jones in DL. If it weren't for our studios park, they'd probably be in our MK, too. (And the GMR would be rather out of place in Future World, too, which would probably send a bunch of people over the edge.)

I'm not too worried, either. If anything, it will be in the foreign parks, especially Shanghai.

Never been to DL, but you said exactly why they DO fit.(bolded them) :lol: I don't have any problem with them, really, but philosophically, MK Parks are Disney only, as Walt started out with.

However, they DO work, and this is my own odd little opinion. :lol:

protiius

Sigh...Marvel characters invading MK just seems so Magic-Less to me.

DHS, certainly would be a different story....
marvel will never come to mk...however, if it came to dhs i would be very happy! lucas, henson and pixar joined by a marvel land would make for a perfect dhs for me (not that i can see it happening in the near future/ever)...

btw, who owns the rights to dc? would be interesting to see universal pick up the rights to this...

wickedfan07

I'm not too worried, either. If anything, it will be in the foreign parks, especially Shanghai.

Never been to DL, but you said exactly why they DO fit.(bolded them) :lol: I don't have any problem with them, really, but philosophically, MK Parks are Disney only, as Walt started out with.

However, they DO work, and this is my own odd little opinion. :lol:

I wonder if things would have stayed that way if Walt had lived longer. He was obviously not against outside influence as far as attraction/exhibit sponsorship was concerned. I wonder if he would have eventually allowed outside stories and characters in. I mean, Disneyland as a whole was not created in a vacuum, and most elements of that park are not Disney-created, like the inspiration for the Jungle Cruise or the American West. It's the way it's designed and presented that makes it Disneyland. By extension, if there was a story to be told, Walt may have told it, even if he or his company didn't create it originally. It's the Imagineering that makes it what it is.

Something interesting to think about, I think. :)

EPCOT Explorer

I wonder if things would ahve stayed that way if Walt had lived longer. He was obviously not against outside influence as far as attraction/exhibit sponsorship was concerned. I wonder if he would have eventually allowed outside stories and characters in. I mean, Disneyland as a whole was not created in a vacuum, and most elements of that park are not Disney-created, like the inspiration for the Jugnel Cruise or the American West. It;s the way it designed and presented that makes it Disneyland. By extension, if there was a story to be told, Walt may have told it, even if he or his company didn't create it originally. It's the Imagineering that makes it what it is.

EX-ACT-LY. :lol: Something I have been trying to verbalize for a while.

In my opinion, that's what Disney (as a whole!) needs to go back to! Making things that are everyday into something DISNEY by putting that flair, that style and that quality into them.

Pixie Dust, Pirates, and Princesses are not the only things that can be Disney, and they need to move out of that crutch and do something unique, but with the same quality. That would really be returning to a long departed area for them. I don't think we have seen it since EPCOT Center.

wickedfan07

EX-ACT-LY. :lol: Something I have been trying to verbalize for a while.

In my opinion, that's what Disney (as a whole!) needs to go back to! Making things that are everyday into something DISNEY by putting that flair, that style and that quality into them.

Pixie Dust, Pirates, and Princesses are not the only things that can be Disney, and they need to move out of that crutch and do something unique, but with the same quality. That would really be returning to a long departed area for them. I don't think we have seen it since EPCOT Center.

Oh man, I just read my post over, and wow do I need to proofread what my stupid fingers type! :lol: But anyway...

I happened to be reading The Imagineering field Guide to Disneyland earlier today. In the New Orleans Square chapter, the author notes that the land contains two of the most difinitive Disney attractions of all time: HM and PotC. I think at that point I stopped reading and thought, "Well have we had any attractions like those since the sixties?" When you think about it, few attractions in Disney parks today match the sensitivity to design that those attractions have. I don't know what the differences in design practice between 1967 and today are, but there is a big difference, very often a lacking, in the depth of attractions created more recently as opposed to those thought of as "the classics."

I know there are talented people working in Imagineering. I know there are talented people working in Animation. I know there are talented people working in the Studio. The ability and the desire is there. Disney just needs to believe that it's Disney again, and not some pixie dust-pumping machine. I think the attitude is the defining factor, not the ability.

As applied to Marvel, Disney can do this right, but they have to let themselves.

JimboJones123

I wonder if things would have stayed that way if Walt had lived longer. He was obviously not against outside influence as far as attraction/exhibit sponsorship was concerned. I wonder if he would have eventually allowed outside stories and characters in. I mean, Disneyland as a whole was not created in a vacuum, and most elements of that park are not Disney-created, like the inspiration for the Jungle Cruise or the American West. It's the way it's designed and presented that makes it Disneyland. By extension, if there was a story to be told, Walt may have told it, even if he or his company didn't create it originally. It's the Imagineering that makes it what it is.

Don't forget all the Grimm, Anderson, Barrie, Carroll, Verne, Milne, and many more that had established franchises that Walt swooped in and slapped his sticker on as well. There would be no Disney World if Walt had not swooped in and taken the public domain Grimm story of Snow White and adapted it.

I still do not like outside movie franchises in MK, but again, Disneyland is a whole different ballgame. They have had Circus Days there, Roger Rabbit(kinda Disneyish, but just as much WB to viewers), Indy, Star Tours, and many other outside franchises making a presence. I do wish MK could be Muppetless and Marvelless.

Actually, Rafiki's Planet Watch could be replaced with Kermit's Easy Being Green Greenhouse and could be pretty kickass if they actually produced a show and added a ride or two.

Since the Muppets produce 1-2 web videos a month now, how hard would it really be to replace Muppetvision 3-D at DHS with a quality show?

I sure as heck do not see any Ponyo at MK, but that was one of the best Disney distributed films in a long time.

_Scar

Umm.... Professor X is crippled too.... :lookaroun :lol:

DAMN. Forgot about him. Apparently I don't know my X-Men rules :(

I shall redeem myself. Meet:

Razorback

razor.jpg

Shanna the She-Devil

shanna.jpg

& my personal favorite

Power Man

pm.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom