Disney Diet Buddies...

raven

The free app "My Fitness Pal" has done wonders for myself and several friends that introduced me to it. Try it!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I always attempt to lose weight before my Florida holidays. Im going to WDW in Sept and started 'eating sensibly' in January, I have so far lost 35lbs and am now at 9st 12lbs!!! Ideally I want to lose another 5lbs. The sad thing is once I'm home I don't care and go back to being chubby!!!

Wow, good for you!!

crispy

I didn't lose specifically for Disney, but I have dropped almost 100 pounds since March 2011, and it has made my Disney trips so much better. I would be fatigued and hurting after a few days, but now I can walk all day long and still feel great.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Good going everyone! I, too, started watching my food intake recently. My daughter's getting married next summer and then there is the Girl's Cruise next September. Not doing anything special, just cut out sugar and white flour. Trying to walk every evening (at least on the days when the temperature isn't above 90!), and so far have lost 8 pounds. One thing I've found - the older I get the harder this process is!:rolleyes:

I've shared that little gem with my "ten-years-younger-than-me" co-workers, much to their dismay!!

Once I passed 40-something, I noticed that simply changing my eating habits didn't take weight off like it used to--I had to MOVE in order to shed pounds. Now that I'm in the back half of my 40's, I have to move a bit more, but I think I'm in better shape now than I was in my mid-30s.

There's a thread in Chit Chat called Disney Diet Buddies which started out similarly to this one--join us over there, everyone! ;)

njDizFan

I always attempt to lose weight before my Florida holidays. Im going to WDW in Sept and started 'eating sensibly' in January, I have so far lost 35lbs and am now at 9st 12lbs!!! Ideally I want to lose another 5lbs. The sad thing is once I'm home I don't care and go back to being chubby!!!
Taking out my iphone stone converter app....

....wow that's awesome

nngrendel

I am off of my See Food Diet and started actually eating better. I dont want to call it a diet because we all know they are no fun. However when I get on the vacation the See Food Diet is back on!

Actually trying to get in better shape when I hit 40 this year. :(

flipadeeflop

About 2 years ago I was a size 4 at 117lbs. My last Disney trip I was about 135lbs. The day my boyfriend and I decided we're definitely going to disney this November I was 140lbs. Today I am back down to 135! Ideally I'd like to be 117 again but I don't think I could do that in about 3 months! My goal though is to lose 10 more from now! I might be able to, but I'm not trying too hard.

Congrats to everyone on working towards reaching their goals! Health is so important!!

Patricia Melton

Has anyone gone on a diet before Disney (I mean, I get it's normal to do before vacation...haha). What are you doing to lose weight, if so?

I've lost 17 lbs so far and need about 10 more to get to my goal! ALLLLMOST there. Im soooooo flippin excited :D

Britt --

You are beautiful the way you are! Please don't feel a need to lose weight to go on vacation. Just find a balance of calories and exercise that works for you and gets you to a place that makes you happy in your body.

I struggled with weight for years until I realized that other people's opinions of me don't matter. Then I started thinking about what I was buying at the grocery store. I started avoiding anything with "high fructose corn syrup" or "corn syrup" in its list of ingredients. Then I stopped buying things that were frozen or things that came in boxes or cans. I stick to fresh fruits and veggies and I eat a lot of grilled chicken, grilled fish, and turkey with lots of salads. I also drink almond milk and have reaped a lot of health benefits from that.

If you are hungry and it's not mealtime, another trick I learned was to drink a glass of warm water. Makes me feel full like I just ate a full meal.

Britt

Britt --

You are beautiful the way you are! Please don't feel a need to lose weight to go on vacation. Just find a balance of calories and exercise that works for you and gets you to a place that makes you happy in your body.

I struggled with weight for years until I realized that other people's opinions of me don't matter. Then I started thinking about what I was buying at the grocery store. I started avoiding anything with "high fructose corn syrup" or "corn syrup" in its list of ingredients. Then I stopped buying things that were frozen or things that came in boxes or cans. I stick to fresh fruits and veggies and I eat a lot of grilled chicken, grilled fish, and turkey with lots of salads. I also drink almond milk and have reaped a lot of health benefits from that.

If you are hungry and it's not mealtime, another trick I learned was to drink a glass of warm water. Makes me feel full like I just ate a full meal.
This is almost exactly what we did :D We cut out all processed foods, everything is homemade, from scratch (sauces and marinades). We eat tons of veggies, drink lots of water and minimal snacks, other then fruits. We eat very clean now! I don't know how Disney foods will fare on our bellies!

And thank you for the compliment <3

Patricia Melton

This is almost exactly what we did :D We cut out all processed foods, everything is homemade, from scratch (sauces and marinades). We eat tons of veggies, drink lots of water and minimal snacks, other then fruits. We eat very clean now! I don't know how Disney foods will fare on our bellies!

And thank you for the compliment <3

Britt --

There are a lot of healthy options available in the parks...even doing something as simple as taking a bottled water for your "snack" if you are on the dining plan. You can also substitute a bottled water for a "dessert" on the plan too.

Have you ever heard of a "primal diet"? I'm not talking about a specific one or a plan by anyone in particular, but just the concept of only eating things that you could have picked or caught and killed yourself with your own two hands (if you really, really wanted).

The biggest change this meant for me was:
* no soda pop (as it's not found in nature anywhere)
* no bread or cake (as you can't pick it or catch/kill it)

The other biggest life change I made was to print up and laminate an "ingredients list" that I keep in my purse at all times so that it's always going with me to the store. I use a wax pencil to write on it in a column I made for check marks so that when I'm getting ready to go to the store I can check off the things I need to buy to make sure I always have the ingredients I need in the house.

I just went shopping yesterday and can tell you that this is what I bought:

* salad mix (I like this one organic mix of greens and herbs they have at our store that's $6 for a package that lasts my husband and I a full week)
* carrots (I use them in salads, in my cooking, and also they are the go-to snack in our house while watching TV)
* bell peppers (these come in a big $5 bag that has yellow, red, and orange peppers; they are my secret cooking weapon as I use different colors in different dishes to give the food different colors and looks. I can honestly make chicken with peppers and rice three days in a row and my husband will not complain because the different colors make him think it's three separate meals)
* oranges, grapefruit, and lemons -- I use these to make my own salad dressing at home to stay away from the processed stuff from the store and I use the oranges to make orange chicken and the lemons to make lemon pepper chicken

I spend about $200/month at the grocery store for my husband and I by only buying fresh fruits and veggies, unprepared meats, and other "primal things" that don't have flour, corn syrup, or processed additives in them.

I drink the almond milk because I need the calcium but am lactose intolerant. Almond milk, for those who don't know, is ground up almonds and water that to me tastes better than cow's milk and does not give my body any digestive problems. I substitute almond milk for cow's milk in all recipes and I have never had any problem (just don't use the vanilla flavored kind for anything besides drinking because it will make your mac and cheese taste weird if you use vanilla almond milk in it instead of plain almond milk).

Honestly, I wish I had the sense to approach healthy eating at your age. You are so mature and remarkable to be taking a hard look at your eating habits when you are young. I weigh 140 or so now and have been at this weight consistently for the last 10 or 15 years. Prior to that, I was often as heavy as 185 and was not very happy with myself because I felt like I was carrying around cement all around my mid section. I got embarrassed once when a well-meaning but ignorant person came up to me and rubbed my stomach and asked me when my baby was due. I was not pregnant, I just had a chubby belly. That's when I started to cut out all the processed stuff and to shop and eat "primal".

The best advice anyone ever gave me is that weight loss begins and ends while shopping at the grocery store. If you do not buy unhealthy and processed things and if you only buy and bring home good nutritious things for your body, then your body will have no choice but to shed weight. You can hasten this process by committing to exercise but I admit I have never been inclined to follow through on that.

But I lost about 45 pounds just by very zealously refraining from any and all products with "corn syrup" in them and by getting my brain to see baby carrots, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, or orange slices as snacks instead of chips, cake, brownies, or Twinkies.

Ramizallos

Actually as a reward for loosing weight my parents decided they would pay for my tickets to the park and the hotel if i can loose at least 50 pounds by the time i go disney world. I have about a little over 4 months until my trip. so far i have lost about 5 pounds which isnt that bad considering i weigh about 290. they just offered this as a reward about a week ago, So hopefully i can loose it and not have to really pay for anything during my trip.

GeekDad

My wife and I are both working on loosing weight. More so to be around as long as possible for our son then for our vacation but our vacation is our current focus for loosing the weight. We have both lost about 20 pounds with my wife loosing slightly more then I have. We've tried several diets and they work until we go off the diet. This time around we are just eating better, sticking to the outside perimeter of the store and avoiding the inside isles as much as possible (that's where all the processed food is found at most stores). We are also exercising like getting on the treadmill everyday.

Patricia Melton

Actually as a reward for loosing weight my parents decided they would pay for my tickets to the park and the hotel if i can loose at least 50 pounds by the time i go disney world. I have about a little over 4 months until my trip. so far i have lost about 5 pounds which isnt that bad considering i weigh about 290. they just offered this as a reward about a week ago, So hopefully i can loose it and not have to really pay for anything during my trip.

I bet you could safely and easily lose 12 pounds or so a month (3 pounds a week) if you just cut out all sugar and high-fructose corn syrup items from your diet. Do 30 minutes of cardio a day (walking around the block, walking up starts, crunches, etc.) and watch your diet and you will drop those pounds for sure!

You will meet your goal of 50 pounds if you focus on burning more calories per day than you take in. Only weigh yourself once per week though. Doing it every day is a psychological letdown...but if you do it every Sunday afternoon you will see progress and be encouraged to do even better the next week.

I am rooting for you!

Please update your thread to let us know how you did.

bgoebel

The free app "My Fitness Pal" has done wonders for myself and several friends that introduced me to it. Try it!

I've lost 42 post third baby lbs on myfitnesspal and think I will always use it for accountability and keep me on track. I'm now pre-marriage weight and it's do-able for me because I allow one cheat meal a week to jump start my metabolism and also know if I want something high in calories that I have to get some good cardio in that day !! Now that it's been 6months I find it so much easier cause my body is used to how much I eat ! I plan to keep this up and yes Im hoping to continue to be on it for next years Disney trip. (June. 2013)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom