Disney+ Day Kicks Off Global Celebration With Week-Long, Company-Wide Promotions

MrPromey

It's cool we're getting a bunch of stuff at once on Disney+, I guess, since regular new drops, particularly in shows, have been lacking over the last year.

But as others have already mentioned, I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what this has to do with the theme parks other than a convoluted attempt at Uncle Bob's World of IP Synergy™.

Last edited:

mf1972

maybe they can give current subscribers a free week or something…
100CE411-40BA-4C3A-AAFF-1DB562A1D23F.gif

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If only they had some old shows from a certain night of the week that were hosted by someone that was important to the company and lots of episodes had to do with a certain theme park.

But they've only managed to put up like ... 3 of them.
…hmmm. Does it represent proper diversity?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They are gearing it up to be. Lots of the planned attractions can be tied in with Disney + Specials and Shows.

That being said, relevancy chasing rarely works at the parks. A streaming show may extend the period of relevancy, but it does not establish a film or brand as a timeless classic. Just look at Emperor’s New Groove. That had a TV Show that ram into the mid 2000s.
I mostly agree..

problem is they have ZERO planned attractions…which everyone has seemed to have forgotten. The clock has been running on That for 3 years already

sullyinMT

I mostly agree..

problem is they have ZERO planned attractions…which everyone has seemed to have forgotten. The clock has been running on That for 3 years already
They’ve been hard at work designing Incredibles inflatables for the Wish.

Not really. They’ve also cancelled Mary Poppins in the UK/London pavilion, dumbed down the Festival pavilion to a garden, and stretched out construction of any attraction (even Moana’s water adventure) until 2022 at best.

They did put that Roman back in SSE, though. And added a taco truck to the lagoon.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They’ve been hard at work designing Incredibles inflatables for the Wish.

Not really. They’ve also cancelled Mary Poppins in the UK/London pavilion, dumbed down the Festival pavilion to a garden, and stretched out construction of any attraction (even Moana’s water adventure) until 2022 at best.

They did put that Roman back in SSE, though. And added a taco truck to the lagoon.
….mmmm…tacos 🌮

but seriously…I am always a bit shocked at how quickly people forget/gloss over the bad construction situation…and we are at it again. Once tron opens…you’re looking at a minimum 5 year construction gap..and it could be more.

bad habits being repeated

The Aracuan Bird

I mostly agree..

They have Moana, PatF, and Guardians (the last of which is getting a holiday special). They were probably going to try and force more, like Zootopia, but that’s obviously on the back burner for now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They have Moana, PatF, and Guardians (the last of which is getting a holiday special). They were probably going to try and force more, like Zootopia, but that’s obviously on the back burner for now.
Moana: a “park ornament”…I’ll take it…but it doesn’t serve the same purpose

patf?? That one eludes me.

guardians - great…but it broke ground in like 2017!!! What about 18, 19, 20? 22? 23?!?

parks require consistent, near constant investment.

dak hasn’t had a shovel thrown at it other than that dumb theater since 2017…no wait…they just tore down a coaster. My bad 🙄

studios? The dormancy clock is running…

Epcot…who knows? 2 new things but didn’t dent the two decades of decay too much.

magic kingdom? You’d be lucky to get anything for ten years starting in 2022

sullyinMT

Guardians and Princess aren’t new capacity. That’s the point Walter is (rightfully) making, I think.

Moana could be very nice but won’t eat people out of the walkways. Even though it’s IP-centric, unlike the original EPCoT, if they do it correctly it could be the most edutaining addition to the park in a long time. I’ll withhold judgement until I experience it first hand, but I have hope in concept.

I hope they have plans for AK dinoland beyond demo of PW. Please don’t be Zootopia. I read somewhere on these boards a while back about expanding into SE Asia and using concepts of Shang-Chi or Raya. I’d rather they do something original like they used to be so good with, but those are at least better than Officer Hopps and pals.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Guardians and Princess aren’t new capacity. That’s the point Walter is (rightfully) making, I think.

Moana could be very nice but won’t eat people out of the walkways. Even though it’s IP-centric, unlike the original EPCoT, if they do it correctly it could be the most edutaining addition to the park in a long time. I’ll withhold judgement until I experience it first hand, but I have hope in concept.

I hope they have plans for AK dinoland beyond demo of PW. Please don’t be Zootopia. I read somewhere on these boards a while back about expanding into SE Asia and using concepts of Shang-Chi or Raya. I’d rather they do something original like they used to be so good with, but those are at least better than Officer Hopps and pals.
Oh…the splash overlay???

that is NOT a new addition. Just let’s not go there

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I wish someone had the stones to build Australia…

but until Disney buys crocodile Dundee and the crocodile Hunter library…not happening.

I’d take anything that involves theming AND animals…

it’s not a zoo…it’s also nahtasixflags either

peng

They said in at least a few calls that Disney+ is their main focus. On the other hand, I do feel this will backfire, yes dc fandome worked as a sort of Nintendo direct clone, but while I think the trailers will generate buzz, I’m not sure what the Disney execs are smoking to think people are this attached to a mediocre streaming service.

Also unlike a lot of the recent parks things, I think we can fully blame chapek for this. Plusiversary is a dumb name and most of the announcements will probably be lame.

plawren2

It's cool we're getting a bunch of stuff at once on Disney+, I guess, since regular new drops, particularly in shows have been lacking over the last year.

But as others have already mentioned, I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what this has to do with the theme parks other than a convoluted attempt at Uncle Bob's World of IP Synergy™.
one hour early morning opening has its benefits, just checked Friday Nov 12 park hours and MK has early entry at 7am, Epcot is 900am, Studios 8am and AK at 800am - all one hr before regular opening, without FP and not using Genie and LL, that hour could be an advantage to getting on Rise of the Resistance, for one example. We are in WDW this week and will look to take advantage.

MrPromey

one hour early morning opening has its benefits, just checked Friday Nov 12 park hours and MK has early entry at 7am, Epcot is 900am, Studios 8am and AK at 800am - all one hr before regular opening, without FP and not using Genie and LL, that hour could be an advantage to getting on Rise of the Resistance, for one example. We are in WDW this week and will look to take advantage.
Cool.

Hope it works out for you.

That still doesn't make this attempted tie-in make sense to me. 🤷‍♂️

I mean, they could have opened everything an hour early for Bob's Birthday or Taco Tuesday (It's a Deadpool reference so it's a Marvel tie-in. It counts!) and it would have made just about as much sense to me.

Also, as another person pointed out, it's weird they're offering more with the parks for their streaming-service-promo-day than they did on the actual anniversary of the resort last month.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Cool.

Hope it works out for you.

That still doesn't make this attempted tie-in make sense to me. 🤷‍♂️

Also, as another person pointed out, it's weird they're offering more with the parks for their streaming-service-promo-day than they did on the actual anniversary of the resort last month.
It makes perfect sense if you look at their attendance figures and resort occupancy…I hear 😉

BrowncatP

I feel SO left out! As a charter "member" of Disney +, I am getting nothing special at home. If you can go to the parks that day great, but the majority of us can't just get up and go to WDW, or DL. Hey, Disney what about the rest of us? Did you forget us?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom