Disney+ Day Kicks Off Global Celebration With Week-Long, Company-Wide Promotions

Kamikaze

I think you guys are too-easily dismissing the content drops and their ability to attract and retain subscribers. I know several people who are keeping or renewing their subscriptions because this coming wave of content includes things like Shang Chi, Get Back, Hawkeye, and Boba Fett.
Thats... how subscription services work...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That is good that they are keeping some subscribers. It is a long term business. The reason Netflix got rid of its Marvel series before Disney Plus was that the budget was too high to be profitable. It is not like cable channels, where there are contracts. Streaming is a difficult business.
The Disney fans understand of streaming sales (like DVC) is never accurate.

“they have 100,000,000 subscribers! They’re raking in the dough!!”

no…they are losing money…they just take that number to the speculative markets and used it to get a 30% stock price bump…to cash out on.

that’s modern business.

Last edited:

Kamikaze

That is good that they are keeping some subscribers. It is a long term business. The reason Netflix got rid of its Marvel series before Disney Plus was that the budget was too high to be profitable. It is not like cable channels, where there are contracts. Streaming is a difficult business.
Uh, no.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t know how much they really need to promote the parks to D+ subscribers, but I’m thinking more in that direction than vice versa.

I’m all in on the D+ promotion on ESPN, GMA, etc, this week. Lighting up DLP’s ToT D+ blue for 30 minutes is forced, lazy, and unnecessary. I agree that has no place.

I’m thinking more along using the service to highlight the parks on D+. The Nat Geo behind the scenes at AK, for example. Or the new sunrise series. Maybe a few human interest stories for runDisney events. They’d probably get a few eyeballs for a NYC nurse who battled the first wave of the pandemic coming down for marathon weekend. Follow her week in the parks, special experiences, etc. Do that for a couple people, maybe a COVID survivor, a teacher, and a dad who found himself juggling a new WFH position and getting the kids ready for school with run training. Then follow the run for each of them in the finale episode.

I agree the parks can’t/shouldn’t be used to promote D+ very much. Especially not in this shoehorned fashion. Again - two years to do something and this is what we get. Just don’t bother, then. But content can be created in the other direction, even minimally, at real overly low cost but to real commercial benefit.
They got caught with a bad “celebration “ in the swamp.

it’s not ALL their fault…for an obvious reason…but their share of that fault is a lot higher than I bet fans here would believe.

they just expected to pack on 20% more than 2019 at double the prices…it was just gonna “happen”. And they even messed with their new rides…because they stretched them out so long it was obvious they weren’t building them in good faith.

bad look.

Kamikaze

My point is, a lot of high-budget, high-profile content is coming to the service in relatively rapid succession. It makes complete sense that they would accompany those releases with a marketing blitz across all of their platforms.
Fine, but 30 minutes early in the parks isn't a 'blitz', its silly and pointless. I would imagine the Venn Diagram of D+ subs and park goers is pretty much a circle.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My point is, a lot of high-budget, high-profile content is coming to the service in relatively rapid succession. It makes complete sense that they would accompany those releases with a marketing blitz across all of their platforms.
It doesn’t make sense to promote it heavily this season…

the park might be a bit of a reach.

here’s an idea: put it on the resort TVs!!!

why not? You don’t sell the kinda in demand merchandise in the parks anymore that they wanted to get you out of the rooms to go buy at conch flats general store…
It’s a different world now.

Last edited:

celluloid

An actual idea that would gain interest for the parks and potentially Disney Plus would be to bring some random filming or some set pieces back. Goodness forbid it goes to a bit of Studio theme too in the process.

sullyinMT

It doesn’t make sense to promote it heavily this season…

the park might be a bit of a reach.

here’s an idea: put it on the resort TVs!!!

why not? You don’t sell the kinda in demand merchandise in the parks anymore that they wanted to get you out of the rooms to go buy at conch flats general store…
It’s a different wor
Plus, how easy would it be with a Disney single sign-on for them to already have your D+ account ready to go at check-in?! If you’re not a subscriber, an account could be created for you, with a free 30 days that starts on check-in day. I’d wager more than 1 account would remain active. It would be easy to opt-out, cancel at check-out, or follow reminder cancel links sent weekly or more to avoid predatory billing.
The thirty minutes isn't the point. The point is the thousand blog posts from WDWMagic, The Dis, **************, Theme Park Insider, etc. etc. etc.
Again, though, the people trafficking these sites is probably a 1:1.001 overlap with subscribers.

I understand Jeremy Renner firing his trusty bow into a storm, the arrow turning into a football, and having one of the receivers from the MNF game catching a TD from a highlight reel. A new cupcake in “D+ blue” at the MS bakery comes across as desperate. It’s harmless, but feels different than Robin Roberts doing some goofy read on GMA.

ImperfectPixie

Plus, how easy would it be with a Disney single sign-on for them to already have your D+ account ready to go at check-in?! If you’re not a subscriber, an account could be created for you, with a free 30 days that starts on check-in day. I’d wager more than 1 account would remain active. It would be easy to opt-out, cancel at check-out, or follow reminder cancel links sent weekly or more to avoid predatory billing.

Again, though, the people trafficking these sites is probably a 1:1.001 overlap with subscribers.

I understand Jeremy Renner firing his trusty bow into a storm, the arrow turning into a football, and having one of the receivers from the MNF game catching a TD from a highlight reel. A new cupcake in “D+ blue” at the MS bakery comes across as desperate. It’s harmless, but feels different than Robin Roberts doing some goofy read on GMA.
When I signed up for Disney+, I used a different e-mail than my MDE account...and it changed my MDE account because all my other identifiers are the same.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
An actual idea that would gain interest for the parks and potentially Disney Plus would be to bring some random filming or some set pieces back. Goodness forbid it goes to a bit of Studio theme too in the process.
Not a lot of physical sets anymore…

and no…we can’t actually have Hollywood history or nostalgia in a park that used to be charming because of it

celluloid

Seems kind of stupid that they took the studios out of Studios, doesn't it?

Very little in theme even remains. It is a shame. I always said Uni would be smart to partner with Netflix since Ga filming is right up the road. Disney could take that same concept and do it with Disney Plus with Ga filmed shows right up the road. FL failed a lot of tax breaks for filming business but it could still be something. Disney of recent does synergy really strangely.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Yeah…as bonzai said above: the Venn Diagram is probably close to a circle

The Aracuan Bird

Nobody is debating the “yet to be profitable” streaming service…

it has ZERO to do with the parks. Like not even a smidgen
They are gearing it up to be. Lots of the planned attractions can be tied in with Disney + Specials and Shows.

That being said, relevancy chasing rarely works at the parks. A streaming show may extend the period of relevancy, but it does not establish a film or brand as a timeless classic. Just look at Emperor’s New Groove. That had a TV Show that ram into the mid 2000s.

Kamikaze

They are gearing it up to be. Lots of the planned attractions can be tied in with Disney + Specials and Shows.

That being said, relevancy chasing rarely works at the parks. A streaming show may extend the period of relevancy, but it does not establish a film or brand as a timeless classic. Just look at Emperor’s New Groove. That had a TV Show that ram into the mid 2000s.
Thats not what he's saying - he's saying there should be more content on the service that is about the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom