Disney cutting back summer hours?

Bandini

I'd be interested to see how often people are outright told not to post their opinion and cross reference that with how many times people claim they have a "right" or are being censored. I bet that's a rather lopsided ratio
please show me where i said I was being censored? You are very selective in your quoting since I went on to say that I appreciated this site because I wasn't censored. Did you miss that part of my statement?
3 was the original plan. Analyses suggested that's all guests needed or wanted.
I thought it was 3 based on the amount of attractions that were available.

jakeman

please show me where i said I was being censored? You are very selective in your quoting since I went on to say that I appreciated this site because I wasn't censored. Did you miss that part of my statement?
"Or" was the operative word in that sentence you seemed to miss.

You are correct that you said that you were not censored here, but you most definitely implied that others here would like to infringe on your "right" to post. Infringement of your right to expression is very much the definition of censorship.

Besides, I was just wondering about the correlation to such accusations to their actual occurrence. Nothing to get bent out of shape over.

EDIT: I digress as I don't want to distract from the topic at hand over sentence syntax.

Bottom line, if Disney is going to make any part of their reservation system available at 180 days then they need to have their park hours worked out at that time. That shouldn't be too much to ask.

Bandini

Bottom line, if Disney is going to make any part of their reservation system available at 180 days then they need to have their park hours worked out at that time. That shouldn't be too much to ask.
I completely agree. I just wish they didn't have a 180 day booking window. IMO it's unnecessary.

Biff215

Absolutely, but when it's accompanied (for example) by such hyperbole as "We must book 6 months out" when that is not the case and not even true for FP+, then you (plural) have to be expected to be called out on that. It doesn't mean that you can't have your opinion, just that the facts you're using to support it aren't correct.
It's not correct that more than a few restaurants require a reservation at 180 days (or very close to it)? Of course it depends upon the time of year and even the day of the week, but this does happen, and obviously it's at the most popular restaurants. I don't think most are saying it's impossible to get any reservation up to the day of, but if you're looking for BoG, CRT, or Ohana, you're certainly up at 6:00 am six months out hoping for the best.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
It's not correct that more than a few restaurants require a reservation at 180 days (or very close to it)? Of course it depends upon the time of year and even the day of the week, but this does happen, and obviously it's at the most popular restaurants. I don't think most are saying it's impossible to get any reservation up to the day of, but if you're looking for BoG, CRT, or Ohana, you're certainly up at 6:00 am six months out hoping for the best.
Well, again not true. I can get both BoG and CRT for breakfast on August 9th for a party of 4 - only a few months from now, and still during the busy summer season. Now I will absolutely agree that the larger parties will have to book earlier, but a blanket statement that you HAVE to book at 180 is simply not true.

ETA: I just looked for a party of 6, and all 3 are available that day.

Biff215

Well, again not true. I can get both BoG and CRT for breakfast on August 9th for a party of 4 - only a few months from now, and still during the busy summer season. Now I will absolutely agree that the larger parties will have to book earlier, but a blanket statement that you HAVE to book at 180 is simply not true.

ETA: I just looked for a party of 6, and all 3 are available that day.
Not sure what time you're getting, but I didn't see anything on August 9 quickly searching for lunch or dinner for four.

I wasn't making a blanket statement but simply disputing the argument that it's not at all necessary to book at 180 days. That's simply not true in many circumstances.

Kman101

FP clearly has an effect on standby times, especially for the most popular attractions and those with low capacities. So Disney has conditioned us all to preplan so we can get those coveted FP's and avoid the long wait. So is it too much to expect Disney to post accurate hours and closings?

I don't think anyone is complaining just to be difficult here. Most of us have experienced the parks pre-FP, then with legacy FP, and now with FP+. We see the pros and cons, but most of all how it's changed how you plan for a WDW visit. It's not nearly as easy as many here make it sound, especially if you have young kids, a large group, or limited time.

While it's not impossible to experience the parks pre-1999, it's certainly not the same experience if you try to. As many have posted here, there are a lot of attractions guests refuse to ride without a FP. Are we spoiled? Maybe, but that was created by Disney, not necessarily the guest.

Disney may not be responding to direct complaints from WDWMagic, but some of what gets discussed here ultimately may reach management when someone gets frustrated enough to make that call or send that email. It's certainly not pointless to have these discussions, and each are entitled to their own opinion. But if you're 100% happy with the current system, is it impossible to understand that others are not?

I don't recall anyone saying the discussion was "pointless". I know these boards get read. But it's called constructive criticism, not constant complaining about something we can't ultimately control. Again, this is all JMO. I know most would rather complain about the system then find a way to make it work for them.

And as for the last point, the same question can be asked back. "Is it impossible to understand those who don't mind the system and have found a way to make it work for them. Even if they don't personally love it". I don't love it but I make it work for me. I'm also just simply disputing some statements that it's not always true you HAVE to plan ahead of time. Which it isn't. I'm not trying to be argumentative.

jakeman

FP+ and dining are two things. You can't say "I hate FP+ because of the 180 day window" because that's an opinion based on a false statement. That was my original point, not directed solely at you (we really need an English equivalent to 2nd person plural).

Your basing your disdain for the system which includes FP+, erroneously, because of the availability of 3 restaurants out of over 100? You're welcome to your opinion, but that seems like a very small margin of success that borders on perfection.

Kman101

Not sure what time you're getting, but I didn't see anything on August 9 quickly searching for lunch or dinner for four.

I wasn't making a blanket statement but simply disputing the argument that it's not at all necessary to book at 180 days. That's simply not true in many circumstances.

It is true you don't HAVE to book at 180. Disney has told you that you have to so many do, leaving reservations unavailable. What if no one booked it that far in advance? Wouldn't more tables be open? Isn't that a novel concept?

And yes, you can find many restaurants day of. Sure it probably depends on party size and crowds, but it's not impossible. I've looked, others have looked. And like everything, one person's luck is another person's bad luck, and they don't find anything. No one's saying it's like that all the time every day, every hour.

Kman101

Just looked for dining reservations, today. For a party of 3

1900 Park Fare - 8:40pm
50's Primetime Cafe - 7:55pm
Artist Point - 7:50pm
Biergarten - 6:35p, 7:25pm
Boatwrights - 7:55pm
Boma - 7:55pm
Bongos - 7:30pm, 7:45pm
California Grill - 9:20pm
Cape May Cafe - 7:30pm
Captains Grille - 7:10pm
Chef Mickey's - 9:15pm
Chefs de France - 8:10pm
Citricos - 7:50pm, 8:05pm
Coral Reef - 8:10pm
Frontera Cocina - 7:30pm
Grand Floridian Cafe - 7:05pm, 7:35pm
Hollywood & Vine - 6:00pm, 6:25pm
House of Blues - 7:45pm
Jiko - 7:50pm, 8:10pm
Skipper Canteen - 8:30pm
Kona Cafe - 8:10pm
La Hacienda de San Angel - 9:00pm
Las Ventanas - 7:00pm, 7:15pm
Liberty Tree Tavern - 8:00pm
Mama Melrose's - 6:35pm, 7:25pm
Maya Grill - 7:30pm, 7:45pm
Moniseur Paul - 7:45pm, 8:00pm
Nine Dragons Restaurant - 6:35pm, 6:50pm
Olivia's Cafe - 7:35pm, 7:50pm
Paradiso 37 - 8:45pm
Raglan Road - 7:30pm
Restaurant Marrakesh - 6:20pm, 7:05pm
San Angel Inn - 8:15pm
Sanaa - 8:25pm
Sci-Fi Dine In - 9:00pm
Teppan Edo - 9:00pm
Boathouse - 8:00pm
Crystal Palace - 8:45pm
Wolfgang Puck - 8:00pm
Garden Grill - 7:55pm
Hollywood Brown Derby - 6:45pm
Turf Club Bar and Grill - 7:45pm
The Wave - 7:20pm, 7:45pm
Tiffins - 7:00pm
Tokyo Dining - 8:10pm
Tony's Town Square Restaurant - 6:15pm
Trail's End - 7:00pm, 7:30pm
Trattoria al Forno - 8:25pm
Tusker House - 7:20pm
Tutto Italia - 8:15pm
Via Napoli - 8:40pm
Whispering Canyon - 7:35pm, 7:50pm
Wolfgang Puck Grand Cafe - 8:30pm
Yachtsman Steakhouse - 8:15pm

So, no, you can't get same day dining anywhere ;)

Sure that's probably not everyday, but at 5:40pm ... look at all that. Are times ideal? Probably not but if people want to be flexible ... and of course it also depends on party size, etc. I chose 3. Someone could choose 1 and see almost nothing. Someone could choose 2 and see half that ... or not. I'm not checking all that, LOL

Biff215

FP+ and dining are two things. You can't say "I hate FP+ because of the 180 day window" because that's an opinion based on a false statement. That was my original point, not directed solely at you (we really need an English equivalent to 2nd person plural).

Your basing your disdain for the system which includes FP+, erroneously, because of the availability of 3 restaurants out of over 100? You're welcome to your opinion, but that seems like a very small margin of success that borders on perfection.
Where in that post do I mention FP+? I know we've discussed both in this thread as summer hours are the original topic. I don't particularly care for dining at 180 days or FP+ at 60, but I've learned to live with it to make my trips work for my family. I just believe Disney should play by the same rules or change the policy.

Biff215

Sure that's probably not everyday, but at 5:40pm ... look at all that. Are times ideal? Probably not but if people want to be flexible ... and of course it also depends on party size, etc. I chose 3. Someone could choose 1 and see almost nothing. Someone could choose 2 and see half that ... or not. I'm not checking all that, LOL
Who said you couldn't get same day dining anywhere? Keep in mind many guests aren't winging it and hoping to land a reservation at the last second. If you choose to do it that way and it works for you, that's great. I choose to have a plan that included which park we'll visit morning and evening, usually a dinner reservation and sometimes breakfast, as well as FP+ times to match. Do I prefer it this way? Not necessarily, but I've found it to be the least stressful method for my family.

The discussion here is about summer hours that Disney is likely to change as we get closer, but for now it's a guessing game. For those of us going in late August, we don't even know for sure if there will be fireworks at MK as times aren't posted. Kind of makes it tough to plan if you're hoping to end your evening with fireworks or a show.

CosmicPrincess

I'm not trying to undermine your point but today isn't exactly a busy day in the parks and it's not at all peak season.

I understand what you're getting at but for someone who is going at a peak time, it might not be as easy to find same day reservations.

jakeman

I'm not trying to undermine your point but today isn't exactly a busy day in the parks and it's not at all peak season.

I understand what you're getting at but for someone who is going at a peak time, it might not be as easy to find same day reservations.
Not targeted at you specifically, but that was trotted out literally the week of Easter when this was done from someone with a similar complaint. It's been done enough around here around different times of the year that this one data point just corroborates the rest.

Yeah pickings get a bit slim, but isn't that true of reservations at most destinations around their peak times?

By the way, I like your avatar. :D

ToTBellHop

Not targeted at you specifically, but that was trotted out literally the week of Easter when this was done from someone with a similar complaint. It's been done enough around here around different times of the year that this one data point just corroborates the rest.

Yeah pickings get a bit slim, but isn't that true of reservations at most destinations around their peak times?

By the way, I like your avatar. :D
Regardless, we all seem to agree Disney should follow its own schedule.

I personally wouldn't mind if they reverted to ADRs at 90 days out like several years back and FP at 60 for resort guests AND AP holders. Why not extend the courtesy of advanced-booking to ALL of your most valued guests? Resort guests would still be getting the +10 benefit but AP holders would finally be treated better than guests staying at the Days Inn.

Kman101

Regardless, we all seem to agree Disney should follow its own schedule.

I personally wouldn't mind if they reverted to ADRs at 90 days out like several years back and FP at 60 for resort guests AND AP holders. Why not extend the courtesy of advanced-booking to ALL of your most valued guests? Resort guests would still be getting the +10 benefit but AP holders would finally be treated better than guests staying at the Days Inn.

All of this would be nice

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom