Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

BigTxEars

Okay.

So by that logic, King Arthur belongs in any part of Europe, right?

In the parts around Ireland, Scotland, England, Wales, France etc, it does. Just as the areas around current day Norway and Denmark share many of the same stories and culture historically.

We share Bigfoot with those beer drinking hockey watching funny speaking folks up north :)

lazyboy97o

I'm sure there was a measure of schadenfreude on the part of Disney for Norway to suddenly scramble to "save" their pavilion after they got essentially 12 years of free advertising.

Not saying that's right, just pointing out the human nature of how those talks probably started.
Yeah, I get that. My point was more reemphasizing your point that the Norwegian culpability in this shouldn't be ignored fully.
There is nothing that says Disney must receive funding from the Norwegian government. Like with the bulk of the pavilions were the respective government declined sponsorship, Disney could have sought private sponsors.

Just as the tales out of early Europe are part of European culture (full of princes and princesses and magic) so are the stories out of Scandinavia part of their culture.

I like trolls, in fact I played one in WoW for years :) But they are as fictional as any magical princesses or talking snowman.
Since when is Burbank, CA in Scandinavia?

Arthur is certainly British by nature. But I think it can be argued that with the shifting borders of Europe over the last 2000 years, it is hard to define some cultural aspects to any ONE country.
Norway has been a unified kingdom for about 1000 years, so those borders did not see the same sort of radical shifts as the rest of continental Europe. Hans Christian Andersen was born and died in 19th century Denmark.

This is strange. I can't seem to find one 6-12 year old that has a complaint.
And preteens are relevant how?

Fractal514

Math is cool. In New York over the summer, my kids chose, from a list of museums I gave them, to visit the National Museum of Mathematics.

Oh, wait, maybe that doesn't mean math is cool as much as it means my kids are geeks!

Math is awesome, and children discovering that for their own is even better. What is uncool is when teachers have trouble getting kids motivated and they try to MAKE math cool. Nothing is less cool than trying to be cool.

cw1982

What literature? Your King Arthur example is a good one and an example of how myth has been turned into a culturally identified work of literature. But Norse mythology and trolls in particular are not literature specific to one story, unless I'm missing something.

Frozen is based on a fairy tale from Denmark.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Math is awesome, and children discovering that for their own is even better. What is uncool is when teachers have trouble getting kids motivated and they try to MAKE math cool. Nothing is less cool than trying to be cool.
So the only way to be cool is to stop trying to be cool! That's what I've been doing wrong all my life!

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
This and I'm sure all the adults here that want to fight for this Frozen ride will love them making EPCOT a dry park lol! Let's drink different kinds of milk around the World!
Since they recently made MK a non-dry park, pretty sure you don't need worry about EPCOT going dry. But you know that already. Taking arguments knowingly past the point of logic doesn't help much.

ThemeParkJunkee

I grew up in Minnesota on the Iron Range. My mother's family is 100% French. My father is half Swedish and Half Norwegian. My parents were very much products of their heritage. My Swedish grandmother and Norwegian grandfather had obvious differences in traditions and attitudes. It was enlightening for me as the the "melting pot" American grandchild. Scandanavia is not a country by any stretch of the imagination. My hope for my October trip with my BF was to visit the pavilions for our heritage (he is 100% German heritage). We will be dining at Germany and France but the only thing Norwegian we can do now is the bakery since the restaurant has become Princess Central. I think the disrespect of Norway started a long time ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom