Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

jakeman

There is nothing that says Disney must receive funding from the Norwegian government. Like with the bulk of the pavilions were the respective government declined sponsorship, Disney could have sought private sponsors.
Apologies as it was not my intention to imply they were under obligation to provide funding. They could have, but they chose not to. Doesn't make it right, but it is what it is.

And preteens are relevant how?
http://www.wwd.com/markets-news/textiles/tween-spending-remains-bright-spot-for-retailers-7207669

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/tweens-have-big-say-household-spending-150570

This one is old, but probably still relevant:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/tweens-a-billion-dollar-market/

http://smallbusiness.foxbusiness.com/sbc/2010/12/08/tap-lucrative-tween-market/

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20..._1_tweens-appearances-count-convenience-store

http://www.marketresearchworld.net/content/view/583/77/
http://www.marketresearchworld.net/content/view/583/77/
That should be enough right?

PlutoHasFleas

According to Billy Madison, peeing your pants is cool...

But Billy Madison is a fictional character, so I do not condone trying to pee your pants to be cool
Billy Madison is a nationally syndicated morning show host in something like 4 or 5 markets. He's crazy and makes the guys on his show do way worse then pee their pants. I didn't even think about the Sandler movie until just now...

lazyboy97o

It's not frozen's fault TDO is cheap and wants the easiest route possible to create a ride. Frozen could actually make an amazing ride, if put in the right place with the right budget. The fault is TDO not frozen or it's fanbase.
This is not just Team Disney Orlando. Walt Disney Imagineering should have enough creative strength to argue for the parks. The problem though is that in such a poisonous environment something like this is an easy sell.

Pocahontas

I'll say it again. Frozen itself is not a problem. It isn't an awful movie, kids love it, most adults do as well. Sure, it gets extremely old, but it'll be around for a while, like all other princess stories. It's still relevant at this point.

The problem is that it's replacing Maelstrom, a ride that represented Norwegian culture and was a key part of the pavilion. Now the country may become over commercialized and have nothing but Olaf dolls plastered everywhere. That's not what the WS is about.

BigTxEars

I grew up in Minnesota on the Iron Range. My mother's family is 100% French. My father is half Swedish and Half Norwegian. My parents were very much products of their heritage. My Swedish grandmother and Norwegian grandfather had obvious differences in traditions and attitudes. It was enlightening for me as the the "melting pot" American grandchild. Scandanavia is not a country by any stretch of the imagination. My hope for my October trip with my BF was to visit the pavilions for our heritage (he is 100% German heritage). We will be dining at Germany and France but the only thing Norwegian we can do now is the bakery since the restaurant has become Princess Central. I think the disrespect of Norway started a long time ago.

I have never though of Scandinavia as a country to me it's a region and culture. Of course things varies from country to country there just as they do from region to region in the U.S. What we do down here in Texas is culturally different in ways than those lousy yanks up north. But we are are part of the greater American vulture IMO. :)

The restaurant in Norway has that nasty fish the folks in Norway eat, you can still partake of that part of their culture.

jdmdisney99

I grew up in Minnesota on the Iron Range. My mother's family is 100% French. My father is half Swedish and Half Norwegian. My parents were very much products of their heritage. My Swedish grandmother and Norwegian grandfather had obvious differences in traditions and attitudes. It was enlightening for me as the the "melting pot" American grandchild. Scandanavia is not a country by any stretch of the imagination. My hope for my October trip with my BF was to visit the pavilions for our heritage (he is 100% German heritage). We will be dining at Germany and France but the only thing Norwegian we can do now is the bakery since the restaurant has become Princess Central. I think the disrespect of Norway started a long time ago.
Another member of Swedish descent here, and I completely agree. In fact, a cousin from Sweden recently visited with us. You are right in that Norway and Sweden are very different, and are not even close to equal. If you call a Swede a Norwegian, you've got something coming to you. It's almost a rivalry. Actually, making generalizations about Scandinavia like that is like calling Mexico, Canada and the USA one exactly equal region. Widely diverse areas we are talking about here...

Matt_Black

True, but it's still the original source of inspiration, which makes the tale not relevant to Norway.

That's like saying that since the Lion King is based on either Shakespeare's Hamlet or the Japanese film Kimba the White Lion (depending on who you talk to) that it doesn't belong in the Africa section of Animal Kingdom.

aladdin2007

Another member of Swedish descent here, and I completely agree. In fact, a cousin from Sweden recently visited with us. You are right in that Norway and Sweden are very different, and are not even close to equal. If you call a Swede a Norwegian, you've got something coming to you. It's almost a rivalry. Actually, making generalizations about Scandinavia like that is like calling Mexico, Canada and the USA one exactly equal region. Widely diverse areas we are talking about here...

Ha that is so true. Theres so many jokes as well about the two. I have a book of them hmm I need to find that.

Fractal514

True, but it's still the original source of inspiration, which makes the tale not relevant to Norway.

I think that's going to be a tricky argument to support. There are likely many examples of things having an origin in one nation and for whatever reason being associated with another.

mouse_luv

I have never though of Scandinavia as a country to me it's a region and culture. Of course things varies from country to country there just as they do from region to region in the U.S. What we do down here in Texas is culturally different in ways than those lousy yanks up north. But we are are part of the greater American vulture IMO. :)

The restaurant in Norway has that nasty fish the folks in Norway eat, you can still partake of that part of their culture.

Wow man just wow. There are no words. And from someone that was saying others in this thread were flinging insults at him. o_O

cw1982

That's like saying that since the Lion King is based on either Shakespeare's Hamlet or the Japanese film Kimba the White Lion (depending on who you talk to) that it doesn't belong in the Africa section of Animal Kingdom.

Fair point.

However, there is much more to Africa at AK than just the Lion King references. The Norway pavilion is another story. The ride, bakery, and shop are all that's left that represent Norway as Norway. Now that the ride is changing and shop space is being sacrificed for a meet and greet area, essentially all that is left that's not based on something non-Norwegian is the bakery. It's hardly accurate to call the space the Norway pavilion at that point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom