Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Monkee Girl

I grew up in Minnesota on the Iron Range. My mother's family is 100% French. My father is half Swedish and Half Norwegian. My parents were very much products of their heritage. My Swedish grandmother and Norwegian grandfather had obvious differences in traditions and attitudes. It was enlightening for me as the the "melting pot" American grandchild. Scandanavia is not a country by any stretch of the imagination. My hope for my October trip with my BF was to visit the pavilions for our heritage (he is 100% German heritage). We will be dining at Germany and France but the only thing Norwegian we can do now is the bakery since the restaurant has become Princess Central. I think the disrespect of Norway started a long time ago.

I agree. Just because we are complaining about one thing doesn't mean we like the rest of the stuff. I am ok with the characters in the countries...it is something for the kids to do and doesn't take too much away from the pavilion's message and helps associate (teach) where the characters came from. HOWEVER, sometimes it's too much. I would rather see Norway updated with real Norwegian cultural things...Update the ride with more Norse Gods or something. I think the popularity of the Marvel characters help peek interest of the real characters. I would love to see a ride more akin to Thor and Odin than Frozen.

I would also see the princesses out of the dining experience as well. I love the princesses but I am sure we can find them another place; perhaps the studios. And though I have no problem with the Grand Fiesta Tour, to be fair, it should be returned to it's original lay out.

I just feel the showcase (one of my FAVORITE parts of Disney) is just way too cluttered with kid stuff...characters and scavenger hunts make it almost unbearable. Easter, we did the Muppet hunt for the Muppets 2 promo. Made sense; World Tour and all that. But that was on top of the Agent P thing, and the Easter Egg hunt. No one was paying attention to anything...it was just too much and way too many kiddie thing. The World showcase can be fun without constant forced cartoons. And this from a fan of cartoons.

BigTxEars

Another member of Swedish descent here, and I completely agree. In fact, a cousin from Sweden recently visited with us. You are right in that Norway and Sweden are very different, and are not even close to equal. If you call a Swede a Norwegian, you've got something coming to you. It's almost a rivalry. Actually, making generalizations about Scandinavia like that is like calling Mexico, Canada and the USA one exactly equal region. Widely diverse areas we are talking about here...

Who is superior? :)

Canada and the US share a lot of the same culture as do the US and Mexico. Where borders are culture tend to merge. Come on down to South Texas, the Mexican culture is alive and well here in many ways. It's only natural and certainly an historical truth. That being said Mexico and Canada can bite it, America is clearly superior. :)

ThemeParkJunkee

The restaurant in Norway has that nasty fish the folks in Norway eat, you can still partake of that part of their culture.

Lutefisk. Soaked in lye as a preservative. Gives it a gelatanous consistency and it is quite horrible. During the holiday season it is prevalent at many events. And no, I have no desire to eat that. However, my Swedish and Norwegian grandparents did have many good recipes that my French mom learned to make and most of them were breads.

cw1982

Who is superior? :)

Canada and the US share a lot of the same culture as do the US and Mexico. Where borders are culture tend to merge. Come on down to South Texas, the Mexican culture is alive and well here in many ways. It's only natural and certainly an historical truth. That being said Mexico and Canada can bite it, America is clearly superior. :)

But you just acknowledged it's the Mexican culture in Texas. I bet you would laugh if someone called it Texan culture.

Monkee Girl

It's not frozen's fault TDO is cheap and wants the easiest route possible to create a ride. Frozen could actually make an amazing ride, if put in the right place with the right budget. The fault is TDO not frozen or it's fanbase.

Would it be childish and immature of me if I said 'Little Mermaid had to wait 15+ years for a ride so Frozen should too?' :D

jakeman

filmmakers found much of their inspiration in Eastern Africa and the Serengeti, as well as Kenya
Interesting.

Oops! What is this?

http://thegazette.com/subject/news/...st-in-decorah-to-feature-frozen-ties-20140722

http://en.trondelag.com/disneys-frozen-inspired-by-trondelag-central-norway/

Central Africa. From the northern Savanna to Mount Kilamanjaro.
I remember that scene.

"Everything the light touches. From the northern savanna to Mount Kilimanjaro, even though they aren't mentioned by name and Kilimanjaro is only a background for a second in the opening number. But forget those details Simba...we are in Africaland."

minsmk

Wow man just wow. There are no words. And from someone that was saying others in this thread were flinging insults at him. o_O

Yeah.. All I can say is that southern hospitality is NOT real.. I was born and raised by parents from south jersey in new york so I'm pretty northern. I moved down to the south about 8 years ago and all I can say is... I don't mind "Grumpy" northerners as much as I mind fake "Southern Hospitality" people.

jakeman

But you just acknowledged it's the Mexican culture in Texas. I bet you would laugh if someone called it Texan culture.
Tex-Mex is a thing you know...

Yeah.. All I can say is that southern hospitality is NOT real.. I was born and raised by parents from south jersey in new york so I'm pretty northern. I moved down to the south about 8 years ago and all I can say is... I don't mind "Grumpy" northerners as much as I mind fake "Southern Hospitality" people.
Well you know, carpetbaggers in general aren't the most pleasant conversationalist down here.

Monkee Girl

I'll say it again. Frozen itself is not a problem. It isn't an awful movie, kids love it, most adults do as well. Sure, it gets extremely old, but it'll be around for a while, like all other princess stories. It's still relevant at this point.

The problem is that it's replacing Maelstrom, a ride that represented Norwegian culture and was a key part of the pavilion. Now the country may become over commercialized and have nothing but Olaf dolls plastered everywhere. That's not what the WS is about.

I know I am joking here a lot (It's how I handle things) but I will say that you are right. Yes, I do not like the movie, but I also understand it is part of Disney and it is well received. That means that when done right, it will be great. Frozen lighting the castle at Christmas makes absolute 100% PERFECT sense. No hate for that what-so-ever. If they took the time and said 'we are going to make a frozen section in MK...ok, makes sense.

But it's the constant rush, force, push stuff out that makes no sense to me. And makes me angry because I am not a fan. Again, in the right place (stick them at Blizzard beach) awesome. Force them in a spot they don't belong? (Bring out the laser eyes)

cw1982

Tex-Mex is a thing you know...

Well you know, carpetbaggers in general aren't the most pleasant conversationalist down here.

Yes, but that's not the same thing as Mexican culture or Texan culture. It's an acknowledgement of the blending of the two, primarily for food labels as I understand it. I've never heard of Tex-Mex literature.

BigTxEars

Wow man just wow. There are no words. And from someone that was saying others in this thread were flinging insults at him. o_O

There are no words? What do you post when someone says something really offensive? :)

And that fish is nasty, I tried it, yuk. Going back there in about 135 days to eat at Norway, that fish is safe from me!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom