Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Malrora73

I understand where everyone is coming from as far as being upset about cartoons in the Disney countries but did anybody ever stop to think that maybe this is a way to get more kids interested in actually coming to the countries section of the park? This way there is something there for the kids to enjoy as well as maybe learn something new. What if there was a video at Norway where Elsa, Anna, and Olaf were the hosts and they educate guests about other cities in Norway that actually exist? I guarantee alot more kids will sit and watch with them as hosts. When people come on vacation, especially kids they want to have fun and they don't want to be educated because that is the whole point of not being in school. As far as replacing malestorm, umm it features trolls which don't really exist and are part of the folklore of that region of the world. Guess what mythical creatures are featured as part of Frozen? Trolls!!! Yet people say this does not make sense...Really? Another point that people make is the wait time. Well the average wait time at Princess Fairy Tale Hall for Anna and Elsa is pretty much the longest in any of the parks. Therefore Disney is actually being smart in recognizing that they need another meet and greet location for these particular characters. Norway actually makes a lot of sense, especially given that there are other princesses that they can meet around the World Showcase. Personally if I were a parent I would much rather take them to the World Showcase to visit them than I would Magic Kingdom because of the crowds. Finally since apparently this rennovation is going to take a while...if anyone has watched the bonus features of Frozen there is an attraction that was in the works with a model for a movie that Walt thought about producing called "The Snow Queen". So if you are looking for concept art you might want to check that out. From what I saw it looked pretty epic and awesome. Sorry its so long but I thought this thread definetely needed some positive feedback..

hpyhnt 1000

So what everyone already knew was happening has finally been made official. About time.

And it still absolutely, royally stinks. It completely and willfully ignores and defies everything that Epcot and World Showcase is supposed to be. At least Gran Fiesta Tour still depicts real things about a real place - Mexico. But this, a ride transporting guests to a fictional, cartoon creation in a park that was meant to showcase the cultures, cuisines, and beauty of ACTUAL countries - its indefensible and cannot be justified in any logical or rational way. They might as well turn Morocco into Agrabah because, hey, it'll make the 4 year olds happy.

To anyone who says this is a good move or that it make sense - No. It is not a good move and it does not make sense. It doesn't make sense from a show standpoint, a theming standpoint, an operations standpoint, a guest standpoint - none of it. It's by far the most shortsighted and illogical attraction decision in WDW's history. And anyone at WDW or Imagineering who dares tout how Disney pays so much attention to theming and detail and story and authenticity in its attractions needs to be fired on the spot. Because clearly you don't care about any of it anymore. Putting Frozen into the Norway pavilion flies in the face of all of that.

I have updated my profile information. Although I have many fond Epcot memories, I can no longer defend this park and its creative direction.

Agreed. Though I feel that way about the Walt Disney Company as a whole, not just Epcot.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Do you include the Original Figment as a mistake? I never experienced the original but bc of YouTube I can agree its a shell of its former self

Did Rocking Rollercoaster, Tower of Terror, expedition Everest (minus disco Yeti) a failure on return of investment
Figment isn't in the WS, now is he? And no, but those are E-tickets wth a large merchandising line behind them, much more so than Space or Splash. Tell me, is TDO introducing a new E-ticket to the WS?

Clamman73

I agree I love epcot and always have since I first visited. But kids these days are being raised in a time of IPads and video games.

On my first visit to the world in 2001 I was 13. I loved all of it. I was a huge Bill Nye fan! The wonders of life pavilion was a blast! Minus the making of me thing... I don't remember that one... Might be a good thing. Figment was ridden over and over again. Exploring the WS was an Indiana Jones adventure for my brother and I.

But if we look at what we have today. We lost wonders of life. Kids don't know who Bill Nye is. Also kids these days seem to have a short attention span.

So this might be the direction our world is going. A drastic one. But it's away to connect kids to exploring the world. Only time will tell

I grew up playing plenty of Atari and portable electronic games in early/mid 80s - still loved Epcot Center. I guess to each his own at this point, or Iger's own. *shrugs*

CDavid

One thing that I find interesting is that, on the blog, all of the comments are yay, not nay

That is because the negative ones are not getting past moderation.

Agree, they keep deleting every negative post as fast they can.

I actually tried to post a comment over there - and I chose my words very carefully to avoid appearing overly negative. Even then, it is still 'pending moderation'. I'm sure they'll get to it any minute now. :rolleyes:

PeterAlt

Finally! Not exactly the announcement we are all waiting for... But it's at least something! This also paves the way for other animated titles to make their way into WS without being thematically out of place, such as Ratatouille in France. I know this idea is unpopular here, but EPCOT needs whatever it can get.

Mike S

Dang... It just hit me.

I'm going to miss hearing "What's this? INVADERS! Back! Back! Over the falls! Huehuehuehue"
I'd like to imagine the trolls using that line on Anna, Elsa and the rest of the Frozen gang. "INVADERS!!!!!! This is Troll country, be gone!!!!!!! I'll cast a spell, you'll disappear!!!! Disappear, disappear!!!!! Back, back, over the falls"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Finally! Not exactly the announcement we are all waiting for... But it's at least something! This also paves the way for other animated titles to make their way into WS without being thematically out of place, such as Ratatouille in France. I know this idea is unpopular here, but EPCOT needs whatever it can get.

They will still be thematically incorrect.

Txrayado

Figment isn't in the WS, now is he? And no, but those are E-tickets wth a large merchandising line behind them, much more so than Space or Splash. Tell me, is TDO introducing a new E-ticket to the WS?

But In the beginning of Epcot there was to be no characters at all. The Fab 5 were seen during the opening and that was it. Figment was seen in the same light at Anna and Elsa are now. Epcot was to be an educational thing.

And yes, when this ride opens it will be an e-ticket attraction. Remember the Hall of Presidents was an E-ticket

MerlinTheGoat

But In the beginning of Epcot there was to be no characters at all. The Fab 5 were seen during the opening and that was it. Figment was seen in the same light at Anna and Elsa are now. Epcot was to be an educational thing.
Figment was never seen in the same light as this Norway overlay, the original Imagination was adored by pretty much everyone upon opening, kids and adult alike. Imagination was always intended to be a part of EPCOT in the form it opened in, according to Martin's tribute it was just delayed because of technical problems with the ride system and such (it was under construction at the same time as the rest though). It was also an education ride, imagination being the spark that makes progress possible in the first place. It fit flawlessly with the rest of the park, and was seen as a truly ground breaking and amazing E ticket.

Despite whatever Mongello tries to spout, no sane person will see a cheapo Frozen overlay as an E ticket.

I'm at least glad WS is getting some attention. Obviously not the attention everybody wanted, but in my opinion Maelstrom needed something. Somebody will be standing in line, and I hope that parents don't keep their kids out of the park because of their veiws on how WS should be. If a little girl wants to see the new Frozen ride, let her go.
Maelstrom needed something, it needed to be longer. There was nothing wrong with the original foundation and concept of the ride. What was actually there was quite great, appropriate, respectful to the culture, very entertaining for any age etc. It's just criminally short and leaves people wanting more. This Frozen overlay though is a misplaced mistake that doesn't fit the park and further attempts to rip apart its already ruined heart and soul. Instead of putting it where it actually belongs (preferably as a Fantasyland ride since it's still desperate for capacity) and giving a Frozen ride adaptation the proper budget and loving care it deserves while treating both fans (young and old) of the parks and movie with proper respect. Instead this is being done on the cheap because Disney had no faith in the movie to begin with (spirit mentioned that it was a shock to them that it did so well as few in the company actually enjoyed it), without any respect to fans of the parks or the movie. EPCOT fans (like myself) should be insulted for yet another ruined attraction, and fans of the movie (also including me) should also be insulted for Frozen not getting the proper respect it deserves. This pleases no one except for the lowest common denominator Walmart/McD's crowd who have no standards. As insiders such as WDW1974 have said (74 broke the news months ago and has long since earned our trust before), this is a cheap cash in to grab gullible people. They're even reusing the same track, it won't even address one of Maelstrom's few glaring faults to begin with- the ride's brevity...

It's ironic and fitting that the movie has a song that has the lyrics "Let it go, can't hold it back anymore". Ironic because despite the song's intended message in the film, it's really a profoundly accurate analogy of explosive diarrhea. "Letting it go" all over EPCOT, the Norway pavilion (and the country) and the fans of both the parks and the movie. Park and movie fans get crapped on, but sing praises as if they've actually been baptized in holy water by their lord and savior.

As for parenting, parents shouldn't give their kids everything they want just because they beg you for it. Kids don't generally have very good taste and gravitate towards things that are bad for them (further instigated by corporate propaganda). It's a good parent's responsibility to question whether they should just turn a blind eye and feed their poor tastes. Doing so is poor parenting and leads to long term side effects that can be very harmful not only to the child, but also society as a whole. For every parent that caves to their kids' tantrums for whatever old crap they want, it creates a generation of entitled brats with low standards. Disneyland and Disney World were both created with all ages in mind, EPCOT in particular was originally created specifically for a less immature and more intelligent audience with a higher standard of entertainment. WDW used to be a place where adults enjoyed the parks alongside the kids. But more and more the changes imposed since the mid 90's have transfigured the once wonderful place everyone loved to what is more and more seeming like a McDonalds (not just the food quality is eerily similar). Like McD's, kids still like it as they lack standards and don't know any better, gravitating towards low quality things that appeal to their limited senses. But some responsible and rational adults have begun to be turned off by it and even feel reluctant/guilty exposing their children to such poor quality products because they care.

I'm not saying people should cut all ties to WDW, but parents would definitely be wise to more often consider expose their kids to better quality entertainment and cutting down on the WDW addiction.

Made these a while ago. With today's official news, it's finally time to share them outside the Disney meme thread.
View attachment 65583 View attachment 65584
I don't have a picture to share, but here's mine anyways-

RIP Maelstrom, 1988-2014
We weren't the first to pass this way, though we were the last on its dying day.

Last edited:

rael ramone

Oh well...another Frozen thing to ignore. Lots of other things to do...

A reason I can accept the presence of MG&G's is they absorb crowds away from the things that interest me.

But there needs to be 'lots of other things to do' that are worth doing. From a 'popularity' standpoint, arguably Maelstrom is the closest thing to an E-ticket that World Showcase has. And it's being shut down a mere week after they fired a bunch of street performers and replaced with a lumberjack show.

If the parks need less time to enjoy, perhaps that means more time relaxing at the resort. But if relaxing at the resort becomes the focus, then why not do it at a cheaper resort...

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

And yes, when this ride opens it will be an e-ticket attraction. Remember the Hall of Presidents was an E-ticket
And the WS was seen as a cultural thing. What's your point, caller?

No, it will not. It will be an overlay of an existing ride, nothing more, nothing less....

WDW1974

Something get announced today?

Oh well, always nice to bury news on Friday and then have multiple people with no souls (or at least basic sense of right and wrong ... yes, Dr. Blondie, looking at ya and pals ... literally deleting posts by the dozens ripping this ''by popular demand' decision) pimping it.

I just had to drop in... but some interesting thoughts will be placed on my thread.

Txrayado

I grew up playing plenty of Atari and portable electronic games in early/mid 80s - still loved Epcot Center. I guess to each his own at this point, or Iger's own. *shrugs*

Same here except it was a Nintendo and N64.
My point is kids these days have short attention spans.They all have iPhones iPads and what have you and refuse to put them down

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom