Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

BigTxEars

The Snow Queen was written by a Danish author. American animators then adapted that into an American movie.

The only connection to Norway is that when it came time to design the look and feel of the landscape, they flew to Norway for inspiration. Saying that is a "representation of the Scandinavia culture" is a pretty huge stretch.

No it's not, borders do not stop cultures very well. All across the world cultures cross them, always have and always will. Look at Belgium and France for example, large areas of both countries along their border share common cultural aspects. Texas and Mexico is a example I am very well versed in :)

But none of that really matters, the vast majority of WDW guest relate it to Norway. WS is not museum, flawless historical accuracy is not their job. Pleasing their guest is, and their guest by and large are demanding Frozen at this point in time.

BigTxEars

Norway and Morocco are the only pavilions in which the governments of the actual countries were sponsors. That was not the purpose of my post. The China and Canada pavilions were not sponsored, yet they promote their respective countries and not Disney movies. The opening-day sponsors of the other pavilions were businesses that wanted to sell merchandise or food/beverages. The point is that the theme and creative direction of World Showcase has always been primarily dictated by Disney itself.

Fair enough. Disney is still directing creative aspects of WS with this change, so what has changed? As posted earlier Norway is embracing Frozen as a way to promote their country, it has increased the interest in Norway in millions of young minds around the world so why would they not?

BigTxEars

Education isn't the right word (and it's edutainment, btw ;) ) it's sophistication. Like DisneySEA has and WS used to... And no, this isn't complaining for complaining sakes. If anything in these 90 pages should tell you is that the feeling about the values and purpose and meaning of WS and EPCOT is real and genuine. It almost feels like a Disneyland crowd.

I'm sure all of these anecdotal "surveys and Frozen demanding guests" would have much preferred a real Frozen attraction and would have taken it anywhere. These imaginary (okay, theoretical) desires has nothing to do with EPCOT and WS.

The normal group of stick in the mud folks who complain about everything Disney does are well represented on this thread.

What is sophisticated about Germany for example? Where is the educational value is giant beers and pretzels? The clock is cool no doubt but educational? I would not call it that. So where is the education at? It's mostly (i.e. 80%) retail and food like all the showcases. Nothing wrong with that at all, but it's not educational.

BigTxEars

Everybody who will enjoy this new attraction at Epcot. Which will be a LOT of people.

Of course, according to some people, all those people who are enjoying themselves are too stupid to realize Epcot should stay a museum of rigid ideals.

P.S. - how long has it been since there was a new attraction at Epcot? Almost twenty years?

That is what bugs me the most, the ideal put forth by some on here that anybody who is in favor of this move are only in favor of it because they are too stupid to know better. Perish the thought that some of us enjoy seeing Disney characters at a Disney park. If I wanted a character free educational environment I could find one at the local museums for a lot less money than WDW. :)

It's a theme park, designed to make people happy. If more people are happy with Frozen in Norway than were happy before then the folks at Disney did their job. I think that is exactly is what is going to happen, more happy guest in Norway. Time will tell of course if that is the case. Of course some on here will break out terms like "unwashed masses" and other such terms to group anyone that enjoys it into. Funny thing is that too many people in America the very fact that any of us go to WDW at all makes us all part of the "unwashed masses". All personal perspective I guess :)

lazyboy97o

No it's not, borders do not stop cultures very well. All across the world cultures cross them, always have and always will. Look at Belgium and France for example, large areas of both countries along their border share common cultural aspects. Texas and Mexico is a example I am very well versed in :)

But none of that really matters, the vast majority of WDW guest relate it to Norway. WS is not museum, flawless historical accuracy is not their job. Pleasing their guest is, and their guest by and large are demanding Frozen at this point in time.

The normal group of stick in the mud folks who complain about everything Disney does are well represented on this thread.

What is sophisticated about Germany for example? Where is the educational value is giant beers and pretzels? The clock is cool no doubt but educational? I would not call it that. So where is the education at? It's mostly (i.e. 80%) retail and food like all the showcases. Nothing wrong with that at all, but it's not educational.
Themed entertainment works through experience and design, not lectures and static displays.

Matt_Black

That is what bugs me the most, the ideal put forth by some on here that anybody who is in favor of this move are only in favor of it because they are too stupid to know better. Perish the thought that some of us enjoy seeing Disney characters at a Disney park. If I wanted a character free educational environment I could find one at the local museums for a lot less money than WDW. :)

It's a theme park, designed to make people happy. If more people are happy with Frozen in Norway than were happy before then the folks at Disney did their job. I think that is exactly is what is going to happen, more happy guest in Norway. Time will tell of course if that is the case. Of course some on here will break out terms like "unwashed masses" and other such terms to group anyone that enjoys it into. Funny thing is that too many people in America the very fact that any of us go to WDW at all makes us all part of the "unwashed masses". All personal perspective I guess :)

As far as "edutainment" goes, it's nice to have, but it's not necessary in today's society. Technology and culture have changed significantly in the past 30 years. Now, if you want to know about Norway or China or wherever, you can do a google search. There is a plethora of resources available if you have the desire.

misterID

I said in that very quote Educational was the wrong word.

And being a long time member here I can tell you the "stick in the mud" folks are huge Disney fans who hold WDW to the Disney Standard that TWDC created and touted... and used to believe in. DLR fans have proven holding them to that standard, pointing out the flaws, and refusing to accept mediocrity works to change things. These types of threads are good things. Being happy and accepting of everything, even the crap you don't like is the wrong way to go.

Last edited:

misterID

As far as "edutainment" goes, it's nice to have, but it's not necessary in today's society. Technology and culture have changed significantly in the past 30 years. Now, if you want to know about Norway or China or wherever, you can do a google search. There is a plethora of resources available if you have the desire.
You can learn about Harry Potter in the books or on Google, it's about the physical experience. These lands are supposed to give you a taste without going there, or inspire you to go there, and give you a more authentic experience where you can taste, smell and feel an that you can't get on Wikipedia. It's supposed to inspire the imagination that no bit of home tech can recreate on a computer or tablet.

Mike S

Fair enough. Disney is still directing creative aspects of WS with this change, so what has changed? As posted earlier Norway is embracing Frozen as a way to promote their country, it has increased the interest in Norway in millions of young minds around the world so why would they not?
This is such an easy argument in favor of this to trounce and stomp on that I'm surprised people even bring it up anymore. Desperation to justify each and every decision from Disney I suppose. Well, here I go.
image.jpg
image.jpg

How many times must I bring this up before it sinks in? I'll spell it out for you: the tourism board does not equal the people of Norway.

Last edited:

jensenrick

One thing about this situation- it brings the funniest tweets.

@DinseyParsk - Asking for a friend, would you guys notice if someone taped a carrot to a polar bear and called it a snowman?
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

BrerJon

Has anyone asked any of the Norwegian exchange students who work the Norway pavillion what they think?

SpiritOfNorway, who posted here earlier (and is in that news report Mike posted the screengrab from), is a former Cultural Representative for the pavilion. Check out his post for a detailed view of the Norwegian view of things.

Its amazing to see that this thread has so many postings, and Im happy to see that the majority of peope are against a remake of the Norwegian classic Maelstrom to be a full on Frozen ride. I have been working against this from the moment I heard it, and while the hope to stop Disneys plans to remake the ride is gone, its my hope and goal that the ride will be done in a correct way (after seeing what happened to Mexico and Test Track, Im scared...).

Mike S

SpiritOfNorway, who posted here earlier (and is in that news report Mike posted the screengrab from), is a former Cultural Representative for the pavilion. Check out his post for a detailed view of the Norwegian view of things.
I never looked close enough to his avatar to know it was him. Thank you @spiritofNorway for going out and doing that news report. Great job getting the word out :D

jensenrick

Comedy gold, I tell ya.

@WaltsFrzenHead - The real reason we have to get rid of Maelstrom: there was a sink hole and... Wait, did we use that one already?

@WaltsFrzenHead - FYI, the terms for Annual & Season passholders forbid them from griping about WDW on social media. You have to be Preferred level for that.

@WaltsFrzenHead - If we got the rights to the BBC Professor Who TV show and dropped a ride in the UK, I doubt I'd be hearing these same complaints.

@WaltsFrzenHead - Someone told me that it's DR Who that the kids are watching these days. I don't have as much time for TV since I'm a head in a jar now.

@WaltsFrzenHead - Imagine you're on El Rio del Tiempo when a Maelstrom comes, and you can only save Dreamfinder, Bonnie Appetite, or some guy from Horizons.

@WaltsFrzenHead - Just remember, unlike Horizons, you can always watch HD ride videos of Maelstrom any time of the day or night.

@WaltsFrzenHead - A year ago, if I asked the average Disney fan about of Maelstrom, they'd shrug and say "Eh, it's okay." Now it's EPCOT's Haunted Mansion.

@WaltsFrzenHead - Walt Disney statue look alike contest! First prize gets to pick the next attraction redo theme in EPCOT! http://ow.ly/i/6TowL

@TheMagicalPlus - I don't know what the big deal is. Tangled didn't take place in a restroom but there it is in the Magic Kingdom.

jensenrick

Here's my entry for the contest of the next Epcot attraction redo-

Well, they want popular IPs, right? How about Syfy's HIGHEST rated original movie?

So long, Seas with Nemo&friends- so hello to SHARKNADO, THE EXPERIENCE!!

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
i'd totally ride that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom