Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

CDavid

Don't know if this has already been noticed (I've never seen a thread explode quite like this!), but the Maelstrom news has made the 'latest news' at CNN.com. The article comes complete with a picture of the Disneyland monorail, but the really interesting part is the comments section. Very different from the Disney Parks blog.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/09/12/media/disney-frozen-ride/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Cesar R M

in other news, sorry for the grouped consecutive posts/replies.

I was busy working and only had a few minutes between hours to read some posts and reply.

Yankee Mouse

I can't believe they quoted Walt in this announcement.

I knew it was coming but I am so disappointed and disgusted right now.

I would totally boycott the whole pavilion but I am sure my target audience..I mean daughters....will love it.

Spike-in-Berlin

HOLY THREAD EXPLOSION BATMAN!

This thread did not only explode, it's an Upper-Megaton-Range-H-Bomb-Thread-Explosion in the yield of Castle Bravo! 53 pages, 1045 comments in less than 24 hours, quite a lot of fuzz about what some commentators consider only a "mediocre", "boring" and "outdated" attraction, isn't it?

I tried to read through the entire thread but after 25 pages I surrendered so I apologize if I write about aspects which were already mentioned or discussed.

I am not happy with this decision because I always liked Maelstrom, I never missed it during a day at EPCOT (and I measure my stays in WDW not in days but in weeks normally so I am not in hurry and doing the parks commando style) and consider it a little gem of a dark ride. YES it is (or was in the near future) quite short, actually it's shortness is about the only flaw of this carefully and highly elaborate attraction. And it is, for years now, badly maintained (a common major flaw in WDW nowadays). Ever experienced the original segment in the North Sea? With the wind, the wave machine and the real electricity lightnings striking the oil rig? I never saw every special effect working in any of my stays in the 21. century so far. The missing effects (sometimes even the loudspeakers didn't work and the troll at the drop remained mute) add to the shortness of the ride and that leads to less attractiveness to the crowds. That's the problem and TDO solves it in the easiest way they can imagine (their imagination is today very near the level of imagination of some bean counting Wall Street bankers, which Walt always despised) by ripping out a classic but aging attraction and replacing it by a ride based on the most hyped movie in Disney history.

Yes Frozen has it's moments and some atmosphere but I consider it only a mediocre movie, with a lot of plotholes (Anna "lives" how long in her "Fortress of Solitude? One day? Or two? "Eternal Winter" lasting for what, three days?) an annoying percentage of music scenes, even for a musical cartoon (in the first third of the movie is more singing than talking) of mediocre quality (sorry folks , but Christophe Beck is no match whatsoever as a composer for Alan Menken, Jerry Goldsmith, the Sherman Brothers or Hans Zimmer) and I simply don't understand the enormous success of the movie at the box office. I understand also that Disney want's to cash in as much as possible, the last years it was the Pixar division that scored the mega blockbusters, not Disney animation. But they could do this easily by adding an attraction somewhere else, at a park where it fit's into the theming and topic of the park and land. But this is TDO, they only build something entirely new if they are on a sinking boat already, without WWoHP we would never had a New Fantasyland and Avatarland in this decade. TDO is so "undisney" like anything you could make up in your mind, in opposite to Walt, who always actually dared somenthing and expanded Disneyland to the max, they wait as long as possible, choose only the most mediocre and less risky plan and build it as much as possible at the expense of other attractions/lands.

They do it with Frozen replacing Maelstrom, the good decision would have been a major refurbishment for Maelstrom and a completely new built (E-Ticket?) for Frozen at MK (in Fantasyland) or DHS (Animation Courtyard?). Instead, because they are TDO and not Walt Disney, the take away the ONLY good ride in WS which is based on the country of the pavilion and replace it by a movie ride, based on a fictional country that is inspired by scandinavian culture and based on the book of a DANISH author (Andersen is not Norwegian). Thats the TDO way. And they insult an entire nation by reducing it to the background for a fictitious movie. Yes, I heard that Norway has stopped the sponsoring of the pavilion so TDO can do what they want, but it is the definite beginning of the end of the WS concept and the entry to Disneys Character Showcase.

Even if the Frozen ride is more than a simple new overlay and even if they expand the ride (which is essential for making the new ride long enough) Maelstrom was an epitomic signature ride in WS, the only good attraction in entire WS, the decision is wrong and a step into the wrong direction.

Last edited:

matt9112

Do they really censor negative feedback? I mean, I can understand if someone is belligerent or offensive...but just the simple disapproval of a product is deemed unworthy to them to be shared in the public eye?

That's absurd. Most companies want & WELCOME both positive & negative feedback.
\\haha no company's value us dollars... WDW magic censors stuff here when needed too...even if it is tame...i know...watch this go poof.

matt9112

A Poppins ride would be fine in the UK, as the movie is actually set there, but, like having Aladdin in Morocco, having Arrendale in Norway just diminishes the real country.

it's actually kinda racist to just group everyone from a vague geographic region into one land. I know most Americans don't have a clue what the difference is between Norway, Sweden, Finland etc., but that lumping all foreigners into the same pot shouldn't be encouraged.

Imagine if the American pavilion had a New York ride, but it got replaced by a Gotham City Batman ride. How would that feel?

i would not care because in America you can do things like that without freaking the hell out....its a theme park...not a history museum....

JohnD

I am all for a Frozen attraction, but Maelstrom was not the best spot for it. It will be a capacity nightmare. The ride is too short, but most importantly, where are they going to put the queue for this?!

If I had a choice, I would say to gut Little Mermaid and turn it into a Frozen ride. Except for Ursula everything feels cheap and plastic in it.

JohnD

I guess I don't mind the Frozen Characters being incorporated into Christmas at the Magic Kingdom. For one, the wintery theme fits nicely. So why not put them into a show? And the Magic Kingdom is where these characters belong! I think you, and I as well, are suffering from Frozen overkill. But I cannot fault this move.

As for adding cartoon character rides in World Showcase? That is something that I fundamentally disagree with on so many levels. Right now, two parks have an identity crisis and are deteriorating before our eyes. In DHS, we have a park that has lost direction on its original theme and intent (there are several threads that discuss this further). As for EPCOPT, it has several empty ( Wonders of Life), under used ( Universe of Energy ) or perversely not fun ( Imagination ) pavilions. To further degrade the park by introducing a ride that clearly should be in a Fantasy Land building (isn't there a former Snow White ride building taking up space?) is clearly a sign that WDW is being run by a management team that has no clear vision on how to advance each park's individual theme and purpose.

AK: Avatar anyone?

JohnD

TeriofTerror

Glad I went earlier this year. I've had my October 19-25 trip scheduled for months. Had I known. . . In hindsight, I think we all could see this coming when WDW moved Maelstrom to Tier 2. They were setting the stage for it's removal. Now I get to choose Captain Eo and Character Spot. Oh, joy.
Keep your eyes peeled - I'll be there the 19th - 24th. The annoying drunk about whom everyone complains tipsily careening her way through WS? That'd be me. I'm my own little pocket of wandering Streetmosphere happy to provide entertainment and turpitude to my fellow guests. ;)

Communicore

This is the best announcement ever since Project Florida!! It can be argued that it tops Project Florida! Amazing in every sense of the word!

JohnD

Finally! Not exactly the announcement we are all waiting for... But it's at least something! This also paves the way for other animated titles to make their way into WS without being thematically out of place, such as Ratatouille in France. I know this idea is unpopular here, but EPCOT needs whatever it can get.

That's the slippery slope argument. "At least it's something!" So are Tangled Toilets. That doesn't mean it should be added. How about respecting the concept for which EPCOT Center was built and improving upon that?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom