Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

PhotoDave219

This is another part of what troubles me. Basically, TDO is going to have all kinds of happy guests because more and more people are starting to value education less and less. The fact that TDO doesn't care about edutainment is indicative of the fact that they see this trend and they see that people are becoming more and more of the mindset that learning and vacation must be two different things. I see this all the time at work. Heck, we're a month into the school year, and I still have parents arguing with me about why their darling angels shouldn't get a zero for summer reading, since it was to be completed while school was not in session (never mind that I gave them time after the school year started to get it turned in without penalty) and took away from summer vacation. Apparently, it's okay to ask me to spend my summer preparing for their children, but it's not okay to ask their children to read one measly book.

The thing is, though, not all families feel this way. Several of my honors students have parents who are pushing them to read The Odyssey in its entirety, despite the fact that I'm only teaching certain excerpts due to time constraints. I've had other parents to ask what they can do to help their kids to better absorb what we're doing in class when they're at home together. Some of my neighbors, who do not work in education, ask me and other teachers that are mutual friends for guidance on helping their kids with certain academic struggles on a regular basis, even during the summer.

Unfortunately, in my experience, the ones who don't like the idea of learning away from school tend to be the ones who are most vocal.

I don't think Epcot is conforming to society by "dumbing down" World Showcase, but I do think TDO may be getting the misguided message that this is what society wants, and thus think they are doing the right thing by acting on it.

Here's a sidenote… "Team Disney Orlando"? It doesn't exist. At least it doesn't exist anymore.

All of their marching orders come from Glendale. All of the decisions are made in Glendale. Everything happens in Glendale.

So everyone's issue should be with Tom Skaggs, not local Orlando.

DarthGrady

I never said those were quality attractions. They just didn't have widespread appeal and certainly didn't drive attendance. Because whether you like it or not, this is a business. It's a theme park. Parks and resorts are responsible for at least 22% of Disney's profits as of 2012.

As for Carousel of progress? That's one of the original attractions that my father actually saw at the 1964 worlds fair. I wasn't even born then and I'm pretty sure you were even close to being conceived.

All you're doing is regurgitating the talking points of every fanboy out there. You don't have a cohesive argument. It's like the talking points memo excepted Disney style…. Come back when you have something. You can't even back up your argument. Hell, I'm not on your side, and I could back up your argument.

It's a kiddie ride that sadly is getting a cartoon overlay. I'm in less you have $1 billion sitting around, I don't think there's any thing you can do about it.

What is a mirage of a utopia to you is a business to those making the decisions.

I'm talking about nostalgic preservation of classic attractions, and the unwelcome invasion of cartoons. You're off on some greed-is-good Gordon Gekko trip.

Right you are that I don't have the numbers. And moreover I don't care about them. I'm not a shareholder.

I'm just one of the guys that's been going to EPCOT since Magic Journeys and knows what he likes.

I bid you all a good night. I'll check back in tomorrow when this thread will surely be on page 1037.

cw1982

Here's a sidenote… "Team Disney Orlando"? It doesn't exist. At least it doesn't exist anymore.

All of their marching orders come from Glendale. All of the decisions are made in Glendale. Everything happens in Glendale.

So everyone's issue should be with Tom Skaggs, not local Orlando.

Interesting. That's a phrase I picked up coming on here lol. Dually noted.

Cesar R M

I've said in other threads on other topics, if you want Disney to change, you have to hit them where it hurts... Their stock. It just keeps going up. If that number representing their share price goes down, they'll start to listen in a BIG hurry.
hard to see them go down, because despite the moronic decisions in WDW.
They have good stuff elsewhere.. like Marvel movies and Disney Cruise Line.
That can pretty much balance the supposed loses.
TDO will still milk WDW like the cashcow it is.

Cesar R M

The Norwegians did talk, back in 2002 when they, against the advice of the American embassy in Norway, did not extend their contract further with Disney.

I'm not placing all the blame at the feet of the Norwegian government about this, but they've got their share.
didnt they do this because Disney wanted an unreal amount of money to maintain the pavilion?

Would you like to have an adult conversation where we exchange views or continue to act like a pompous jerk? I am good with either, just let me know.

The question is how can you have an adult conversation when 99% of the time you ignore facts, logic and general consensus while you prance about "I'm totally going to be the first and enjoy it deal with it!" type opinion.
You already used the excuse of "lol norwegians are All ok with the change!" when they did NOT.
You also used the excuse of "lol the mouse as spoken".

In short, no way to have a decent "adult" conversation if you dismiss every single opinion and only prance yours as the absolute truth.
Laughable when you cant even understand what is Real folklore, history and difference it from a completely made up pop modern story like FROZEN.

Milla4Prez66

The issue with this isn't about the quality of Maelstrom or even if this Frozen ride is awesome, it just doesn't belong and goes against everything Epcot and World Showcase is about. It's supposed to be a showcase of many cultures of the world, getting all this fictional Disney "magic" thrown in is just bringing it down from what it should be. This attraction belongs at DHS (since it won't be at MK), the park needs more attractions and they are already doing Frozen Summer there. Seeing Epcot continue to lose it's original purpose and vision is sad to me. I'm shocked TDO hasn't jumped all over things like Test Track featuring Lightning McQueen!

Cesar R M

If you remember back when they opened all that, people were complaining that nothing on GG worked. None of the AA's were functional and that the audio was off.. It was just a quiet, dark coaster with no special effects. Albeit to Disney to actual take "some" time to make sure that the product actually does work before they open it to customers.
Well, if you remember.. the 7dmt took a lot to build too, and it went down a lot (animatronics not working).

Cesar R M

It doesn't...any more than Lion King specifically represents a specific country in Africa.

Frozen is Norwegianish just like Lion King is Tanzanianish.

:)

Not justifying the overlay, just pointing out the congruency.
Hang on, is Lion King represented in ANY country and has a presence in the world showcase?
I only remember seeing lion king videos promoting re-utilization, renovation..etc.. in the area around "THE LAND".

Like we said, the content is not the problem.. the problem is the placement.
leave real culture stuff to worldshowcase and pure created pop fantasy elsewhere.

Cesar R M

No, I'm talking about the 12-year-olds that are screaming about Epcot in ruins now.

Honestly if the least popular attraction in Epcot being changed ruins Epcot for you, you have not been paying any attention in the past 10 years.
I dont think its the change of one attraction, but the eroding of the worldcase.
they already destroyed other great pavilions out of pure greed/lazyness, didnt they?
At this rate, Epcot will be Magic Kingdom v2 (with a taste of Movies)

Also, as for this thread, the more I read.. the more I really think some people arguing here are very elaborate and intelligent internet trolls.. (to cause such ruckus with some expressed dumb opinions)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom