Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

FigmentsFangirl

I'll say it again. Frozen itself is not a problem. It isn't an awful movie, kids love it, most adults do as well. Sure, it gets extremely old, but it'll be around for a while, like all other princess stories. It's still relevant at this point.

The problem is that it's replacing Maelstrom, a ride that represented Norwegian culture and was a key part of the pavilion. Now the country may become over commercialized and have nothing but Olaf dolls plastered everywhere. That's not what the WS is about.
Better than those PErryethe Platapus fan things for KidCot Funstops. Honestly, Olaf's Summer Around The World seems better to me then a platapus. Imagine Olaf goin' to Mexico or Japan or France. {I saw him as far as somewhere on the Safari at AK!!}

1) Does The Lion King ever actually USE the word "Africa"?
2) Frozen was heavily inspired by Norwegian culture and history; Arendal is a port city in Norway, not unlike how Arendelle seems to be a port kingdom. Homophones.
I pointed this out to my mom today, so they just edited the name a bit {Arendal =/= Arendelle} she laughed. Thought it was funny, had to really look at the map though to see what I was saying.

cw1982

Meh. I have a hard time caring about that. Especially when they don't seem to mind reaping the economical benefits of the tourism bump.

Perhaps the pervasive 'Murica stereotype of my own countries has made me callous to the minor qualms of a country that has a film that presents their country in a pretty positive and attractive light.

Fair enough. No one said we have to agree on what's important here.

But where does the film represent Norway, specifically, at all? I know the city is supposed to be roughly based on a city in Norway, but it's not something made obvious in the film itself. If it's only common knowledge among those who learn through Google or by Disney including the references at Epcot, it's hardly an effective reference.

BigTxEars

If I told you how I really felt about your ignorant comments towards Northerners who have done nothing to you etc, and then your proceeding to pick at something in Norwegian culture, I would probably get banned and/or hurt your feelings (since you make up that people were flinging insults at you when they were helping you). So let's not go there. Let just keep trying to play nice.

I picked at nasty tasting fish, they can can still eat it, and mine for that matter :) No need act like I insulted their national pride becuase I said I did not care for one of their national dishes. For the record I think the sushi sucks as well :) Now fried catfish, that is some good eatin right there.

It's a wee bit differnt insulting each other on here and say calling the entire north lousy yankees. They are indeed yankees, no debating that. And that small rivalry that had existed between north and south for well over 150 years accounts for the lousy :)

Like I posted I don't care if someone I will never meet insults me, I am just not going to exchange views with someone who does. I was just asking them let me know what they wanted to do going forward. Me feelings were never hurt, and their comments were not posted " trying to help me".

mouse_luv

I picked at nasty tasting fish, they can can still eat it, and mine for that matter :) No need act like I insulted their national pride becuase I said I did not care for one of their national dishes. For the record I think the sushi sucks as well :) Now fried catfish, that is some good eatin right there.

It's a wee bit differnt insulting each other on here and say calling the entire north lousy yankees. They are indeed yankees, no debating that. And that small rivalry that had existed between north and south for well over 150 years accounts for the lousy :)

Like I posted I don't care if someone I will never meet insults me, I am just not going to exchange views with someone who does. I was just asking them let me know what they wanted to do going forward. Me feelings were never hurt, and their comments were not posted " trying to help me".

You just keep believing that. I was indeed trying to help you, but what do I know, I'm just a lousy Yankee.:hilarious:
So much for playing nice.:rolleyes:

jakeman

Fair enough. No one said we have to agree on what's important here.

But where does the film present Norway, specifically, at all? I know the city is supposed to be roughly based on a city in Norway, but it's not something made obvious in the film itself. If it's only common knowledge among those who learn through Google or by Disney including the references at Epcot, it's hardly an effective reference.
It doesn't...any more than Lion King specifically represents a specific country in Africa.

Frozen is Norwegianish just like Lion King is Tanzanianish.

:)

Not justifying the overlay, just pointing out the congruency.

lazyboy97o

That's like saying that since the Lion King is based on either Shakespeare's Hamlet or the Japanese film Kimba the White Lion (depending on who you talk to) that it doesn't belong in the Africa section of Animal Kingdom.
Disney's Animal Kingdom is not as overtly focused on specific human cultures, but yes, The Lion King is not African culture and should not be presented as such.

1) Does The Lion King ever actually USE the word "Africa"?
2) Frozen was heavily inspired by Norwegian culture and history; Arendal is a port city in Norway, not unlike how Arendelle seems to be a port kingdom. Homophones.
The aesthetics are what was inspired. The setting is of little consequence compared to the interpersonal relationships. How would the story have been impacted if the design inspiration was of Swedish or Finnish or Russian origin?

Magenta Panther

Um. No one is sponsoring Norway now, so yeas, Disney is going to make make money. Plus, Maelstrom wasn't very good. , and the Princesses should have been a clue that the Norway areas was open territory. Would rather have unique cultural experiences, yes, but frankly most guests don't care if they have a fun time. At least it's a ride and not another food option, and hopefully the trend will continue as far as the castle, etc go - each new tentpole movie has it's temporary spotlight.

That said, We're going in december, and my daughter is flat out going to burst with all of this. So to heck with all the grumps, we're going to have a great trip:)

Feh. By the time the thing's built, your kid'll be good and sick of Frozen. Wait and see.

BigTxEars

Them be fighting words.
And if Canada had any kind of military left (beyond the "Peacekeepers"), we would come down there, passport in hand, and whoop your butt.

Or ... we would just apologize, pick up a coffee and donut from Timmie's, and carry on.

Hey the Canadians are my second favorite people, longest undefended border in the world. :)

And I know the ability of the Canadian armed forces, a fine tradition there. Great service to freedom's cause over the last century and into this one. Juno Beach! You guys currently hold the record for the longest sniper shot in history, took it away from a American no less. I love me some Canadian military heritage.

Don't make me break out my official Maple Leafs jersey and take a picture in it :)

DarthGrady

At the end of the day (literally), it doesn't matter if Frozen is a movie based loosely on the real Norway or not.

I wouldn't know, I've never seen it. We're thankfully childfree, and Disney stopped making good animated movies twenty years ago. Now they're just two hour video games that you can only watch, but I digress.

The real point is that there is no place in EPCOT for any Disney "cartoons". They don't belong there, plain and simple. Nemo doesn't belong in The Living Seas. The annoying birds don't belong in El Rio Del Tiempo and some silly ice movie (that no-one will remember in five years) certainly doesn't belong in Maelstrom.

EPCOT was never supposed to be like MK. That's precisely why we EPCOT purists loved it so much. And why it's so devastating to watch it destroyed just to satisfy the uninitiated tourists.

FigmentsFangirl

Hey the Canadians are my second favorite people, longest undefended border in the world. :)

And I know the ability of the Canadian armed forces, a fine tradition there. Great service to freedom's cause over the last century and into this one. Juno Beach! You guys currently hold the record for the longest sniper shot in history, took it away from a American no less. I love me some Canadian military heritage.

Don't make me break out my official Maple Leafs jersey and take a picture in it :)
And here all this time I thought you were the white cat in your avatar :)

But getting back on topic; We've not seen ANY concept artwork yet for the apparently blown out of completel proportion overlay that Maelstrom is getting. I mean think about it, maybe they mean "in early 2016" means that they'll have some artwork to show off. You all saw what happened when they first announced AVATARLand at Animal kingdom, it was a YEAR before any artwork or models were shown to the public; then another half year to begin construction if that.

cw1982

It doesn't...any more than Lion King specifically represents a specific country in Africa.

Frozen is Norwegianish just like Lion King is Tanzanianish.

:)

Not justifying the overlay, just pointing out the congruency.

Right. I agree with you there.

But, as I said when I replied to Matt Black, it's not quite the same thing because the Africa section of AK doesn't stand or fall based on the references to The Lion King, whereas the Norway pavilion is so small and has so little in it that basically the only thing left that will still be non-Frozen is the bakery... and for all we know, TDO could be planning to change that too. The Lion King references don't make the entire area, but the Frozen theme will all but take over the Norway pavilion.

PhotoDave219

46 pages In less than 12 hours.

Personally, I think the backlash comes in with it being "frozen" rather than an update/refurb/other change.

To the Epcot fanbois, where were you when original shows were being cut/closed? Where what your righteous indignation then? (I realize it's past their bedtime)

All in all.... It's a theme park. It's a kiddy ride in a theme park.

It's not curing cancer. It's not bringing world peace. It certainly has nothing to do with Walt Disney. It didn't open in 1982 and it wasn't that good an attraction.

And Philadelphia is still the birthplace of America.

BigTxEars

And here all this time I thought you were the white cat in your avatar :)

But getting back on topic; We've not seen ANY concept artwork yet for the apparently blown out of completel proportion overlay that Maelstrom is getting. I mean think about it, maybe they mean "in early 2016" means that they'll have some artwork to show off. You all saw what happened when they first announced AVATARLand at Animal kingdom, it was a YEAR before any artwork or models were shown to the public; then another half year to begin construction if that.

They do move slow, I would love a quick turn around on this :) If we see it in 2016 I think that will be quick for Disney. Maybe the Frozen gals are holding out for more money, that Olaf looks like a greedy SOB as well.....

jakeman

Right. I agree with you there.

But, as I said when I replied to Matt Black, it's not quite the same thing because the Africa section of AK doesn't stand or fall based on the references to The Lion King, whereas the Norway pavilion is so small and has so little in it that basically the only thing left that will still be non-Frozen is the bakery... and for all we know, TDO could be planning to change that too. The Lion King references don't make the entire area, but the Frozen theme will all but take over the Norway pavilion.
Perhaps and likely. I'm content to wait and see. They could surprise us with an integration rather than an overlay that focuses on Frozen in a way that bring interest to Norway.

Like it or not (general, not you specifically), it worked for The Seas with Nemo. I think that's probably the best outcome to hope for at this point.

Mike S

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it but Tom Staggs said this would be opening by early 2016 http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/09/frozen-attraction-coming-to-epcot/

"Tom Staggs on September 12th, 2014 at 5:19 pm
Thanks for asking, Cynthia. The Frozen attraction is targeted to open by early 2016."

Why do they need 15+ months? Diagon Alley was built from scratch in less time than that!
Reminds me of this quote from Iron Man:

Tony Stark was able to build this in a cave! With a box of scraps!

Well, I'm sorry. I'm not Tony Stark.

Monkee Girl

Um, no, there was mostly heartfelt applause.
I didn't mind the management version but I prefer the current version.
At the end of the day (literally), it doesn't matter if Frozen is a movie based loosely on the real Norway or not.

I wouldn't know, I've never seen it. We're thankfully childfree, and Disney stopped making good animated movies twenty years ago. Now they're just two hour video games that you can only watch, but I digress.

The real point is that there is no place in EPCOT for any Disney "cartoons". They don't belong there, plain and simple. Nemo doesn't belong in The Living Seas. The annoying birds don't belong in El Rio Del Tiempo and some silly ice movie (that no-one will remember in five years) certainly doesn't belong in Maelstrom.

EPCOT was never supposed to be like MK. That's precisely why we EPCOT purists loved it so much. And why it's so devastating to watch it destroyed just to satisfy the uninitiated tourists.

Love this and your icon says it all. The two should be separate. I love kid stuff...yea yea...32 and still do princess meet and greets. But again, everything in it's place. Sometimes, I would like to do more adult things such as a funjucational trip around the showcase. But it's very hard with doofenshirtz firing his laser-in-ators everywhere. They don't belong.

the problem is (like all companies) they just put band aids on situations instead of thinking through long term solutions. sooner or later, there are so many band aids, you can't tell what is supposed to be wear anymore. I really WISH someone could come in and just clean it all up and organize it properly. They make money regardless...they would just have some happier people while doing it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom