Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Could this be Walt Disney World's first trackless system ride??
It's been speculated as a possibility, but I doubt it. Boats work for a Frozen attraction, as Arendelle is shown to be a port town, and there's plenty of boats in the movie. Given that, I suspect we're looking at an attraction that follows the same route with the same mode of transportation. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see them spending the money on a completely new ride system when the existing one works for the attraction theme. If they are going to go trackless, it doesn't seem like reusing the Maelstrom ride building saves them all that much in capital costs.

Tony Perkis

Ive seen Robb Alvey called worse on here...

And he is the one openly insultinf people upset about Maelstrom online.
Yep, this. He's basically calling everybody who thinks this overlay is a bad idea idiots.

Don't think the fictional story of Frozen and the fictional location of Arrendale fit in Norway? You're an idiot. Don't think Disney should abandon its original theme and purpose for World Showcase? You're an idiot.

orlando678-

It's been speculated as a possibility, but I doubt it. Boats work for a Frozen attraction, as Arendelle is shown to be a port town, and there's plenty of boats in the movie. Given that, I suspect we're looking at an attraction that follows the same route with the same mode of transportation. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see them spending the money on a completely new ride system when the existing one works for the attraction theme. If they are going to go trackless, it doesn't seem like reusing the Maelstrom ride building saves them all that much in capital costs.

It's just that I heard rumours of this before where also we see screens giving us a longer exoerience. also I think Disney is going to make it more thrilling than a boat ride since I know they have been talking about getting the fun factor higher at epcot.

Tony Perkis

It's just that I heard rumours of this before where also we see screens giving us a longer exoerience. also I think Disney is going to make it more thrilling than a boat ride since I know they have been talking about getting the fun factor higher at epcot.
Disney is very likely not going to alter the actual attraction's path.

Timekeeper

I promised my source that I would not prematurely divulge this information but here goes: Soarin' Over Arendelle.

There. I said it. Oh, by the way, spoiler alert.;)

Stevek

Goodbye Maelstrom. You were a unique experience that many will miss. That being said, while I can understand people being disappointed about it leaving, I find it odd that guests were crying on the final day. Yes, I would probably be disappointed if something like Pirates or Mansion closed for good, but I really can't see myself crying over the loss of any Disney attraction. I don't know, maybe I'm just callous, maybe I'm old and just don't get it, maybe I missed that there was some massive allure of Maelstrom or maybe Disney theme park fans get too emotionally invested (I know, understatement of the year)...or maybe it's a little bit of all of the above.

In any case, it's gone, time to move on and it will be interesting to see what Disney does with the space. Even more interesting will be what is the next rallying cry for Disney fans to get behind. I hear there is some new Epcot entertainment that's going over like a fart in church.

Mike S

I think we need an official definition of a "track" before deciding whether something is genuinely "trackless." When I was younger, I always considered UoE and GMR to be trackless.
UoE, GMR, and ToT are wire guided I believe. Not the same as the LPS (Local Positioning Sytem) tech in Pooh, Mystic Manor, Ratatouille, and apparently the future Frozen ride for Tokyo (so flippin' jealous :mad:).

Stevek

UoE, GMR, and ToT are wire guided I believe. Not the same as the LPS (Local Positioning Sytem) tech in Pooh, Mystic Manor, Ratatouille, and apparently the future Frozen ride for Tokyo (so flippin' jealous :mad:).
I believe you are correct. What does Aquatopia use?

Phil12

Goodbye Maelstrom. You were a unique experience that many will miss. That being said, while I can understand people being disappointed about it leaving, I find it odd that guests were crying on the final day. Yes, I would probably be disappointed if something like Pirates or Mansion closed for good, but I really can't see myself crying over the loss of any Disney attraction. I don't know, maybe I'm just callous, maybe I'm old and just don't get it, maybe I missed that there was some massive allure of Maelstrom or maybe Disney theme park fans get too emotionally invested (I know, understatement of the year)...or maybe it's a little bit of all of the above.

In any case, it's gone, time to move on and it will be interesting to see what Disney does with the space. Even more interesting will be what is the next rallying cry for Disney fans to get behind. I hear there is some new Epcot entertainment that's going over like a fart in church.
I think they could have put the old Adventures Club cast on that stage with the same result.

Stevek

I think they could have put the old Adventures Club cast on that stage with the same result.
I always find it interesting that with every one of these types of "events," there is massive upheaval in the community and then everyone forgets about it except for a few torch bearers that carry on, the Adventurers Club being a prime example. Being a DL local I remember the backlash when they added Jack Sparrow to POTC (yes, people, and I use the term loosely, left flowers in front as a RIP symbol) and the "Save the Rainforest" petition for It's A Small World. In both cases, the end result wasn't quite as bad as some folks thought (yes, the US section in IASW looks kinda dorky) but those same folks that protested loudest probably continue to visit regularly and ride both of those attractions. And I can pretty much guarantee that the folks in the #savemaelstrom camp will be in line to ride the Frozen attraction on opening day or very soon after. And not that I'm against people using their voices but the reality is...Disney does not care! They aren't marketing this to you and me and will continue to bring what they think the majority of their guests want, not the folks that are at DL or WDW on a monthly, weekly or even daily basis.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom