Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

danlb_2000

Premium Member
All that money is going somewhere. Not that I disagree with you necessarily but it can't be ruled out. I would give it a 28.1% chance of happening to be precise.

I agree, can't be ruled out, but I think it's unlikely. This is also based on the permit that was filed. The contractor on that permit would be the one doing that major work of removing the old and installing the new ride system if it was happening. The permit has no expiration so the work will likely take far less then a year to do. By contrast they are the same contractor on the Soundstage 1 project which doesn't expire for two years. If that project really is the new Toy Story Track it's hard to believe it would take them less time to gut and re-do Maelstrom, then it would take to install a copy of an existing ride system in a pretty much empty building.

Obviously none of this is certain, but it definitely skews my opinion towards no new ride system.

AEfx

Now the remnants of classic Walt Disney World are all but extinct

I just can't do anything but laugh at statements like this. It's so absurd, because Maelstrom itself was once considered a "slap in the face" of "classic" WDW/Epcot because of it's non-basis on reality (trolls and Nordic Gods).

Nothing like sitting for 25 years stagnant to make something smell like roses, apparently.

BigTxEars

I just can't do anything but laugh at statements like this. It's so absurd, because Maelstrom itself was once considered a "slap in the face" of "classic" WDW/Epcot because of it's non-basis on reality (trolls and Nordic Gods).

Nothing like sitting for 25 years stagnant to make something smell like roses, apparently.

Works with music, cars and movies...why not rides ? :)

I don't think many would have called it classic before the Frozen announcment myself.

Captain Neo

wait what? Epcot Center has had whimsical creatures, Sea serpents, robots, and all kinds of stuff since opening day

Sitting stagnant for 25 years means the only solution is replace an original ride with a cheap marketing tie in to an animated film? Disney could have upgraded and refreshed the show any time they wanted (there were even concepts in place for a refresh) Management opted not to until some slick imagineer wanted to impress his bosses by offering a cheap way to tear out the maelstrom set pieces to replace them with cliff note scenes from Frozen (may God have mercy on him/her when it's revealed who pitched this). So far the reaction is overwhelmingly negative.

Horizons1

Oh really? Do tell.

BigTxEars

Considering it's been at Epcot for 26 years, I think it is a classic.

It's certainly an opinion that each person needs to make for themselves. I really think time should be a factor in some ways when the determination is made on classic status I don't think it fits in this case. 26 years while a long time is not long enough for it to fall into the category of a HM or POTC for example IMO. Honestly I would only put Spaceship Earth in the classic Disney ride category at Epcot myself. I think the classic definition should consist of a fairly small group of rides at WDW in total or it losses its meaning.

baloofigment14

It's certainly an opinion that each person needs to make for themselves. I really think time should be a factor in some ways when the determination is made on classic status I don't think it fits in this case. 26 years while a long time is not long enough for it to fall into the category of a HM or POTC for example IMO. Honestly I would only put Spaceship Earth in the classic Disney ride category at Epcot myself. I think the classic definition should consist of a fairly small group of rides at WDW in total or it losses its meaning.
I definitely think it is opinionated, but Epcot hasn't been open near as long as MK, so 26 may not seem as much compared to something like Haunted Mansion.

baloofigment14

The word Classic used to mean something. When you slap it on anything that's merely existed for a certain amount of time it becomes meaningless.

Maelstrom is hardly a classic and if you used the word in conjunction with the attraction a year ago you'd be laughed off the boards.
Maybe, but in my opinion it is and if I would have been "laughed off the boards", well it wouldn't be the first time someone has for sharing their opinion.

JEANYLASER

No debate there. I am just thinking of all four parks combined when listing classic rides. I hope Frozen will be enjoy than Maelstrom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom