Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Cesar R M

People always tend to say that they want more of what they already know. That's why creatives are hired to create.
Yeah, but when you get a Suit guy blocking all the creative's work. Its worth nothing.

I myself have seen the film, yet I still utilized the GIF earlier in this thread for the reverse purpose. I guess a GIF of someone clapping is only used to be just that; virtual applause. :shrug: Though if we are going to begin using it in context...

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif
how about this one?

caoz1yX.gif

BrerJon

Oh, and since it has been brought up a few times, the Duffy and Sinbad characters were created for Tokyo DisneySEA. Duffy only appeared elsewhere before if you count his failed American debut as The Disney Bear.

Sorry I'm a bit behind on this thread, hence only seeing this now, but one of the things I think Sea does well is a balance between character heavy, original park characters, and no character sections.

So you have Mediterranean Harbour and Port Discovery as original themed lands without characters, then American Waterfront with Harrison Hightower, Cape Cod with Duffy, and Arabian Coast with Sindbad and Chandu, as lands with original park characters, then lands like Lost River Delta (Indiana Jones), Mermaid Lagoon and the Aladdin side of Arabian Coast serving Disney movie characters.

BrerJon

From the creative geniuses that brought you:
  • Stitch's Great Escape
  • Enchanted Tiki Room: Under New Management
  • Journey into Imagination with Figment
  • Monster's Inc Laugh Floor
  • The Seas with Nemo and Friends
  • Gran Fiesta Tour starring The Three Caballeros
  • "Updated" Polynesian Village lobby
  • Disco Yeti
  • No more Toad, Horizons, or WoL
  • and The Hat
Jeez, that list... Imagineering really has turned out a load of turds in recent years, hasn't it?

Last edited:

Admiral01

Premium Member
Because it costs a lot of money to maintain and operate attractions, and when they get old/dated, they should be replaced with something new that is going to be more popular. There are some exceptions, like classics such as Haunted Mansion, Small World, etc that will never get removed, but Maelstrom is definitely not one of those attractions.

You shouldn't, that would be stupid. I, along with most other people on this forum, will still go to WDW after this ride opens and won't miss you. But from Disney's perspective while they will lose your business (and maybe a few other angry people) in the aggregate attendance at Epcot will probably go way up and they will make millions more dollars. They trade your business of probably a few thousand dollars a year for making millions more. Once again there is this law of the marketplace called supply & demand.

It's really sad when people stomp their feet and think that by making a stink "i'm never going to come here again" is going to scare a company into getting their way, especially such a hugely successful one like Disney. Sorry dude the world doesn't revolve around you.

The only reason Maelstrom isn't a classic is because Disney is telling us it isn't. Most consider Tiki Room a classic, and we all see how much WDW management respected that. Only a relatively destructive fire gave us back the classic.

My feet stomping unfortunately isn't as loud as the feet stomping from the people complaining about their kids lack of stuff to do in WS. Anger has nothing to do with my stomping. It is the lack of quality that is driving me away. WDW of the 80s and early 90s was all about high quality. Now it is all about making just a little more quick money at the expense of long term vision. We all stomp - Disney only listens to the stomping that helps promote synergy between their brands.

Besides, I'm not trying to scare anyone into giving me "my" way. The only voice I have is my credit card. I am under no illusions that anyone on the WDW end is listening.

You are correct - my lack of business won't hurt Disney at all. I'm sure I will eventually return to WDW...just not with the same enthusiasm and budget set aside as I have up until now. One trip ever few years instead of three trips every year. The world doesn't revolve around me...but my world doesn't revolve around Disney.

Enjoy the continuing decline of WDW quality and theming.

BrerJon

Well then, using your logic, it would make just as much sense to integrate Frozen into Animal Kingdom. Because if Mickey suddenly decides it belongs there, well then, by golly, it does!

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Disney brings in a reindeer to Animal Kingdom for a few weeks, sticks it in a pen next to the long awaited Olaf meet-and-greet character, and promotes it as 'see the real life Sven', to give Animal Kingdom a share of the Frozen action.

BrerJon

I guess that is where we differ, I see that magic at WDW in recent adds. NFL is wonderful, Enchanted Tales With Belle is pure Disney magic IMO for example. And innovation and unique story telling is a perfect description of that attraction IMO :)

I think 7DMT is a classic Disney ride, that is one we will be riding for decades to come.

I love the immersion that Magic Bands add to our trips as well.

Are you my Bizarro?

FigmentJedi

The only reason Maelstrom isn't a classic is because Disney is telling us it isn't. Most consider Tiki Room a classic, and we all see how much WDW management respected that. Only a relatively destructive fire gave us back the classic.
Of course Disney doesn't consider it a classic. I don't think they consider any attraction in a non-castle park to be classics. That's part of why that Figment comic was such a big surprise to me. I never thought in a million years that the whole "Let's cash in on our attractions by expanding them into other media" thing would ever extend itself into Epcot.
Hell, Maelstrom would probably be the only other big Epcot candidate I could see translating into another medium well because Norse-inspired fantasy crap is always popular and that's probably never gonna happen now.

Also, park original content has had "Second Class Citizen" status amongst the various Disney IPs for years. Kingdom Keepers is a perfect illustration of that: Any park characters take a backseat to the stupid cartoon hologram stuff and are pretty much reduced to only being robot minions of the villains. They even made the Yeti Chernabog's host body or some stupid crap.

Mr Anderson

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Disney brings in a reindeer to Animal Kingdom for a few weeks, sticks it in a pen next to the long awaited Olaf meet-and-greet character, and promotes it as 'see the real life Sven', to give Animal Kingdom a share of the Frozen action.
Yeah, that totally sounds like something Disney would do. Cue BigTxEars "OMG That's the best idea ever!!!"

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go puke my guts out.

BigTxEars

Yeah, that totally sounds like something Disney would do. Cue BigTxEars "OMG That's the best idea ever!!!"

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go puke my guts out.

LOL why does my opinion matter so much to you that you put it up in a post I had nothing to do with?

Are there penguins at the Frozen M&G in AK, cause I like penguins....that might sway me to agree one is a good ideal.

BrerJon

I don't complain about the MK being so character focused. I don't walk around Fantasyland and complain about there not being anything geared for me, an adult.

YES! That's exactly it, it's such double standards. I'm sick of Disney assuming everyone is a family with two kids aged 5-9. Adults without kids have more disposable income and spend the same amount on tickets, but by concentrating exclusively on meet-and-greets, magic bathrooms, and sing-a-long snore-fests, they're turning away a lot of those dollars.

lazyboy97o

LOL why does my opinion matter so much to you that you put it up in a post I had nothing to do with?

Are there penguins at the Frozen M&G in AK, cause I like penguins....that might sway me to agree one is a good ideal.
If fiction or non-fiction are of no issue, being at opposite ends of the planet is nothing.

BigTxEars

YES! That's exactly it, it's such double standards. I'm sick of Disney assuming everyone is a family with two kids aged 5-9. Adults without kids have more disposable income and spend the same amount on tickets, but by concentrating exclusively on meet-and-greets, magic bathrooms, and sing-a-long snore-fests, they're turning away a lot of those dollars.

But their core market is families with kids, they are marketing overall to their core market like any business.

How much does a family of two (two adults) spend on tickets vs a family of four (two adults, two kids)? Same with food, drinks (maybe booze!) and soveniers. That fact is not lost on Disney.

Plus by focusing on kids and families they are building future guest in effect, both the kids that grow up and return as adults and their kids they bring with them. At least that is how it happened to our family....

Damn that mouse is crafty!

They no doubt lose some guest because of it but they think they gain many more than they lose.

BrerJon

You are the 3rd person who has said that MM+ makes WDW more immersive. I don't think you know what that word means.

You get to immerse yourself in Wait Disney World.

Immersion is taking twice as long to get through the turnstiles, three times as long to pay for anything while the cashier calls the manager for a band fail override, and five times as long to get into the hotel room because the band stopped working as a key and you have to go to the front desk, not to mention the extra standby line lengths you get to immerse yourself in.

I don't know about you, but that sounds pretty immersive to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom