Disney confirm opening timetable for the remainder of the new Fantasyland

devoy1701

I still can't believe the Mine Coaster is over 18 months away. I hope their being conservative with that date. I don't think it's unreasonable for them to be able to finish it in time for the holidays of 2013.

Weather_Lady

Well, that is incredibly disappointing. This totally takes the wind out of my sails for my family's upcoming October 2012 trip. I now wonder if we shouldn't postpone it until sometime in 2014. We haven't been to WDW since 2005 and likely won't be able to come back again for several years. What this means is that if we go now, there will be LESS for us to see than there was in 2005 (although there are 3 new rides that have opened since then that would be of interest to my family, WDW has bulldozed or will be closing-to-refurbish far more attractions than they've added in the intervening 7 years). [Exeunt personal pity party.] :(

orky8

Well, that is incredibly disappointing. I now wonder if my family shouldn't postpone our fall 2013 trip until sometime after 2014. We haven't been since 2005 and likely won't be able to come back again for several years. What this means is that if we go now, there will be LESS for us to see than there was in 2005 (although a couple of things are new since then, it seems they've shut down, removed or will be refurbishing more attractions than they've added in the last 7 years). [Exeunt personal pity party.] :(

The 2014 date for the mine ride has been the rumored date on here for a long time, so this isn't really anything new. The pushback of LM and BATB to holidays 2012 instead of Fall 2012 is perhaps the only newish thing here. Plus, if you haven't been since 2005, then aside form the mine ride, all of the new fantasyland will be new to you, and complete by Fall 2013.

Personally, though, if it were me, I'd push back 6 months to spring 2014.

Well, that is incredibly disappointing. I now wonder if my family shouldn't postpone our fall 2013 trip until sometime after 2014. We haven't been since 2005 and likely won't be able to come back again for several years. What this means is that if we go now, there will be LESS for us to see than there was in 2005 (although a couple of things are new since then, it seems they've shut down, removed or will be refurbishing more attractions than they've added in the last 7 years). [Exeunt personal pity party.] :(

We are going June 18th no matter what but we were hoping for all of storybook circus to be open by then. I don't understand how hard it is to place to old Dumbo in the new location but apparently that takes several months :shrug:

devoy1701

So the mine train will take over four years to build from groundbreaking? This must be the greatest roller coaster ever built!

That's what I'm thinking...the Mine Coaster is taking as long to build as the whole Avatarland project is going to take to design and build!

Weather_Lady

The 2014 date for the mine ride has been the rumored date on here for a long time, so this isn't really anything new. The pushback of LM and BATB to holidays 2012 instead of Fall 2012 is perhaps the only newish thing here. Plus, if you haven't been since 2005, then aside form the mine ride, all of the new fantasyland will be new to you, and complete by Fall 2013.

Personally, though, if it were me, I'd push back 6 months to spring 2014.

Sorry, folks - my original post contained a typo (now fixed). Our trip was to be in October 2012, not 2013, meaning that if we keep the dates we've booked, only half of Storybook Circus will be open, and none of the Fantasyland Forest. If history repeats itself, by the time we're able to come back in a few years, it might all be open, but they'll already have changed the Beast's Castle menu to burgers and fries, the Mine Train will be closed for refurbishment, and the Ariel animatronic in Little Mermaid will be broken, with a strobe light on it! (Behold my passage through the stages of Fantasyland grief: from disbelief, to rage, to depression, to dark humor...)

orky8

Sorry, folks - my original post contained a typo (now fixed). Our trip was to be in October 2012, not 2013.

I see. Well, that's a toughy... no guarantees BATB or LM will be open in October 2012, so you would definitely be taking a chance there.

If I were you, I'd go to Disneyland this Fall instead of Disneyworld, and then plan a trip to Disney World for spring 2014. In fact, that is exactly what I am doing (except I will be going to DL this December). :)

Weather_Lady

I see. Well, that's a toughy... no guarantees BATB or LM will be open in October 2012, so you would definitely be taking a chance there.

If I were you, I'd go to Disneyland this Fall instead of Disneyworld, and then plan a trip to Disney World for spring 2014. In fact, that is exactly what I am doing (except I will be going to DL this December). :)

I'm sure that's good advice, Orky -- unfortunately, that wouldn't be in the budget! We've saved for years for this trip and will have to save up for years for the next, which is why I'm so committed to making it count. I realize that there will always be a ride or two being refurbished, or not yet completed, but I admit that I had my heart set on seeing most of New Fantasyland this time around. Given the "fall 2012" timeline originally given, it seemed like a realistic hope. Now it's time to adjust our expectations, change our dates, or maybe decide to give Universal a try for the first time. ; )

devoy1701

I'm sure that's good advice, Orky -- unfortunately, that wouldn't be in the budget! We've saved for years for this trip and will have to save up for years for the next, which is why I'm so committed to making it count. I realize that there will always be a ride or two being refurbished, or not yet completed, but I admit that I had my heart set on seeing most of New Fantasyland this time around. Given the "fall 2012" timeline originally given, it seemed like a realistic hope. Now it's time to adjust our expectations, change our dates, or maybe decide to give Universal a try for the first time. ; )

Carsland is opening soon. Why not just shift the funds for a Disneyland trip? If you do it right, it will fit in the same budget. Stay at a good neighbor hotel, watch for great airfares... It's definitely doable!

lebeau

I'm sure the "holiday season" announcement was intentionally vague to allow Disney wiggle room. The Disney Park Blog is already overrun with requests for clarification. We're going the first week of Nov. I'm still holding out hopes it will be open by then.

jt04

Pretty much exactly what Lee has been saying from the start despite me throwing everything at him to try to determine if it might be sooner.

Quality can't be rushed. I suspect the mountain is more complex than any of us know at this point. Two years of actual construction seem resonable to me. Remember that construction is taking place right in the middle of what will be the busiest section of the busiest theme park in the known Universe.

orky8

I don't know your budget (or the ages/size of your family), but I encourage to do some research into Disneyland and see if it is a viable option. Unlike Disney World (Fantasyland), which could be in the midst of construction during your timeframe, Disneyland will have just complete its billion dollar refurbishment. DL and DW are different, but both offer an excellent product. Personally, I would be very disappointed if I scheduled a trip for October this year and BATB and LM were closed, so I definitely sympathize. Disneyland has as many attractions in its two parks as Disney World has in its four parks, and DL is giving them all a huge amount of TLC right now. If you go during Halloween, Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion will have their holiday layovers, which are pretty neat. Just something to think about.

OzDisney

How long before official openings do they have 'soft openings' Was looking at going early November and was hoping for the BATB area to be open but am wondering if at least they will have soft openings at this time :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom