Disney confirm opening timetable for the remainder of the new Fantasyland

orky8

I went to the Magic Kingdom with my family in 2010 and there were pictures advertising that mine ride construction was occuring behind constrution walls (near Winnie the Pooh). Was Mickey lying to me? Does Mickey lie?

If the mine ride turns out to be a true E-ticket like Everest that will be great!

Mine train was announced on January 18 2011. Perhaps your recollection is wrong about what was advertised on the contruction walls. January 2011 - spring 2014 is a little over 3 years. Admittedly, a long time, but it is what it is.

njDizFan

I was going to say the same thing.

I'll bet marketing is driving the opening date. You know how much they love to say things like "NEW for 2014!"

This way, a fair amount of people will attend in 2013, and then come back in 2014 when the Mine Train opens.

I'll bet they could finish it faster if they wanted to.
I agree. I think Atomic and hippo summed this up perfectly. We certainly do not like having to wait til 2014 and I'm sure they could get this done much sooner but TDO has a marketing and budgeting schedule that defines the timeline.

Rescue Ranger

Well, this changes my plans then. I guess my trip will now be switched over to a Disney cruise instead!

Shocked about the Mine Coaster....this must be one hell of an attraction that gives you a new perspective on life after riding :lol:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
An issue with the Mine Coaster may very well be limited access to the site due to the surrounding areas being opened. It is very different building in the middle of an open area, VS building at the edge of a park with full access.

yensid67

Personally, I think they are being CAUTIOUS with the Mine Train open date! If you look at any of the pics of construction now, they are more than 25% complete at ground level. after all the mechanicals are in place, all they need to do is build up the mountain(which shouldn't be as tall as Thunder or Splash), insert the rails and scenery...I may be wrong on this next thing so someone please correct...they didn't take this long for BATB Mountain, Everest
Mountain, or even Splash...did they? I would say depending on those lengths of time, DWARF MOUNTAIN should not take 18 months from now...should it?

yensid67

An issue with the Mine Coaster may very well be limited access to the site due to the surrounding areas being opened. It is very different building in the middle of an open area, VS building at the edge of a park with full access.

I have read about DWARF MOUNTAIN causing the rest of FLE to be closed due to a construction entry/exit, but can't they use the road between Mermaid and Circus? But I do see some kind of mechanical(?) pipes going from Mermaid to behind a Circus Tent.

Mawg

Well, this changes my plans then. I guess my trip will now be switched over to a Disney cruise instead!

Shocked about the Mine Coaster....this must be one hell of an attraction that gives you a new perspective on life after riding :lol:

I think we'll cancel our family reunion for summer of 2013 and go to Disneyland instead. I just don't want to see a big construction zone in the middle of the expansion to be the first time we see it. Too bad, I was really hoping 2014 wasn't true.

devoy1701

I questioned that dumb strategy since the beginning! They should have ramped up construction on the coaster to bring the timeline up with the rest of the the project...possibly by even slowing down on other parts to allow this to happen. I'm fine with Storybook Circus opening ahead of time, but the Forest should have all opened together.

I understand the whole phased openings to spread out costs and marketing impact...but that again plays on that old TDO tune of milking something for everything it's worth. Marketing and Budgeting schedules be damned...do it for logistics, customer satisfaction, and good show!

njDizFan

Couldn't agree more Devoy, It makes absolutely no sense except in the minds of upper mangement(marketing,PR, Accounting).

Let's build this lavish forest themed land but for 2 years there will be a giant construction site right smack dab in the middle.

Spreading this out for years is crazy and definately does not put customer satisfaction anywhere near a top priority. I'm glad it is being built but c'mon, this timeline is ridiculous(although predictable.)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I questioned that dumb strategy since the beginning! They should have ramped up construction on the coaster to bring the timeline up with the rest of the the project...possibly by even slowing down on other parts to allow this to happen. I'm fine with Storybook Circus opening ahead of time, but the Forest should have all opened together.

I understand the whole phased openings to spread out costs and marketing impact...but that again plays on that old TDO tune of milking something for everything it's worth. Marketing and Budgeting schedules be damned...do it for logistics, customer satisfaction, and good show!

It has been done before in this way. An obvious one that springs to mind is DLP Space Mountain. That was built smack in the middle of tomorrow land, took a long time to do, and was a major eyesore during construction.

I certainly don't think they have been dragging their feet on this. The entire project is just a monstrous construction site. I would like to have seen it all open together, but I certainly understand the desire to get things open.

At the end of the day, if it is a success, all this will be forgotten.

coolbeans14

It has been done before in this way. An obvious one that springs to mind is DLP Space Mountain. That was built smack in the middle of tomorrow land, took a long time to do, and was a major eyesore during construction.

that's true, I remember visiting early 1994, boy was that a huge detour to make.

I'm quite happy to hear everything bar the mine train will be open for my trip over the holidays.

however, I wonder when the original design would have been completed. I suspect significantly earlier.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
that's true, I remember visiting early 1994, boy was that a huge detour to make.

I'm quite happy to hear everything bar the mine train will be open for my trip over the holidays.

however, I wonder when the original design would have been completed. I suspect significantly earlier.

I think if they had gone with the original design we would see that whole Fantasyland Forest section opening at this same time at the end of this year.

People complain about the construction going on here, it's still no where near as bad at what DCA has been going through.

DisneyBeatles

I'm sorry. I love Disney to death, BUT 4 FREAKING YRS TO BUILD THE MINE TRAIN COASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THATS RIDICULOUSSSSSSSS! ESPECIALLY FOR DISNEY!!!!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm sorry. I love Disney to death, BUT 4 FREAKING YRS TO BUILD THE MINE TRAIN COASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THATS RIDICULOUSSSSSSSS! ESPECIALLY FOR DISNEY!!!!

At the risk of repeating myself, the mine train is only going to take 2 1/2 years max to build. You can argue all you want about whether 2 1/2 years is reasonable or not, but you can't claim that it's taking 4 years to build.

Dan

jenluvswdw

I am extremely disappointed!!! The Mine ride was the one thing I was extra excited about. Four Years, come on!!!! I am planning on going 2013, I don't think I can hold out any longer than another year.:cry:

devoy1701

At the risk of repeating myself, the mine train is only going to take 2 1/2 years max to build. You can argue all you want about whether 2 1/2 years is reasonable or not, but you can't claim that it's taking 4 years to build.

Dan

2 1/2 years is not reasonable...and neither is 4.

Btw...have you guys seen what Carsland looks like?! It blows Fantasyland Forest out of the water! We can't even get a domed ceiling in the BatB Ballroom... :brick:

Mawg

Btw...have you guys seen what Carsland looks like?! It blows Fantasyland Forest out of the water! We can't even get a domed ceiling in the BatB Ballroom... :brick:

Yes, it looks awesome! And that is why it warrants a trip there this summer and maybe even again next summer. But Disneyland is not a whole week park, so I'll also be giving my business to Universal, SeaWorld, Lego Land and the San Diego Zoo (Actually it's a 10 day trip) Get your act together Disney World. (I feel so negative today)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

You are not going to build anything inside an active area of a Disney theme park worthwhile in less than 2 years. It doesn't happen. Or would you rather it be rushed and have a low quality result?

Mawg

You are not going to build anything inside an active area of a Disney theme park worthwhile in less than 2 years. It doesn't happen. Or would you rather it be rushed and have a low quality result?

They have 6 months before it becomes an Island construction zone. They should start cracking the whip now and get as much as they can before this happens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom