Disney confirm opening timetable for the remainder of the new Fantasyland

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So the mine train will take over four years to build from groundbreaking? This must be the greatest roller coaster ever built!

They didn't break ground on the coaster until September of 2011, so we are only looking at 2 1/2 years max. Since this is a new ride mechanism the 2014 date probably includes a lot of time for testing and adjusment. Also remember that there can be a big difference between how long it can take to build something and how long they choose it to take. We have heard that they might be trying to spread out the construction cost.

NYwdwfan

Our trip is booked for mid-November and now we will have fingers firmly crossed for soft openings on LM, BAtB and Test Track as well. Hmmm - thinking of putting off until February unless stellar deals come out to entice us to stay with November.

Weather_Lady

I don't know your budget (or the ages/size of your family), but I encourage to do some research into Disneyland and see if it is a viable option. Unlike Disney World (Fantasyland), which could be in the midst of construction during your timeframe, Disneyland will have just complete its billion dollar refurbishment. DL and DW are different, but both offer an excellent product. Personally, I would be very disappointed if I scheduled a trip for October this year and BATB and LM were closed, so I definitely sympathize. Disneyland has as many attractions in its two parks as Disney World has in its four parks, and DL is giving them all a huge amount of TLC right now. If you go during Halloween, Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion will have their holiday layovers, which are pretty neat. Just something to think about.

Thanks for the suggestion - it's certainly worth looking into! It may depend on whether our airfare (we'd already purchased flights) is fully refundable. If not, perhaps we'll try to find something cheaper to do in Orlando, and put the money we save toward making the next WDW trip sooner than we could have otherwise.

Ignohippo

They pushed back the initial Storybook Circus opening too, only to open it on the original date.

Maybe they learned, with all of the problems the first month TSMM was open, to have a much more vigorous "soft opening" phase. That way, people can't go to them and say their vacation was ruined because a new ride wasn't open (if there are problems with it when it's first opened). I'm sure there will be a lot of people planning their vacations around the opening of the FLE. This may be just a way for them to safeguard themselves in case there are problems.

They seem to be really, really far along. I can't imagine it will take them until August to finish this, and certainly not until November or December!

autigger

They didn't break ground on the coaster until September of 2011, so we are only looking at 2 1/2 years max. Since this is a new ride mechanism the 2014 date probably includes a lot of time for testing and adjusment. Also remember that there can be a big difference between how long it can take to build something and how long they choose it to take. We have heard that they might be trying to spread out the construction cost.

The land was cleared and construction walls went up in 2010. These walls advertised the mine ride. It will not be complete until 2014. This is longer than it took to build Expedition Everest or The Wizzarding World of Harry Potter. Thus, my expectations should be very high indeed.

devoy1701

Thanks for the suggestion - it's certainly worth looking into! It may depend on whether our airfare (we'd already purchased flights) is fully refundable. If not, perhaps we'll try to find something cheaper to do in Orlando, and put the money we save toward making the next WDW trip sooner than we could have otherwise.

Depending on what airline, your fares should at least be exchangable. Good Luck! Disneyland is WELL worth the trip! :wave:

Ignohippo

As for the Mine Train, Lee has always held strong on 2014 – not necessarily because of construction, but because of budgeting.

From a marketing standpoint, it only makes sense. They'll get a big influx of guests in 2013 due to the FLE and now they can get a secondary influx carrying on throughout 2014. Especially with so much of their business coming from Annual Passes, it is a smart business plan.

I hate it, but it does make sense (especially for someone as cheap as TDO). I can hear it now: "why build a new Monsters Inc coaster when we have the SW coaster and can push it back another year so it seems we're opening something else new?"

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I think the vague "Holiday Season" is driving me crazy. We're planning a big family trip the first week of December, and I'm hopeful we'll get to experience all of this! It might drive me crazy if I got back from my trip and it was opened a few days later...

Oh well, it's not like we wont have a great time either way, I just hope to get to experience all of the new area (minus SW of course).

The way this thing keeps getting pushed back I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm thinking it'll open closer to Christmas. Hope I'm wrong.

Same here. I'm actually erring on the side of caution and thinking that it won't open in December but in January. Dumbo is one tiny part of the attraciton and that kept getting pushed back. I'm not expecting all of it in December, that's for sure.

I think the vague "Holiday Season" is driving me crazy. We're planning a big family trip the first week of December, and I'm hopeful we'll get to experience all of this! It might drive me crazy if I got back from my trip and it was opened a few days later...

Oh well, it's not like we wont have a great time either way, I just hope to get to experience all of the new area (minus SW of course).

Same here! When you think about it though, how can you open it any time but early December if you're going for a "holiday" opening? Otherwise, you're right in the middle of that mess that's 12/20 - 1/1. You just can't do it then.

Also, this outright announcement kind of takes all the fun out of guessing. Darn it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The land was cleared and construction walls went up in 2010. These walls advertised the mine ride. It will not be complete until 2014. This is longer than it took to build Expedition Everest or The Wizzarding World of Harry Potter. Thus, my expectations should be very high indeed.

But the mine ride was not part of the original design, the land was cleared for the meet and greets that they decided not to build. Even though they showed concept art, they didn't actually start building the coaster until later 2011.

I found a post on this board from 9/2003 saying that Everest construction had started to go vertical and it opened in 4/2006 which makes it's construction time at least 2 1/2 years. So the mine ride isn't taking longer.

Atomicmickey

As for the Mine Train, Lee has always held strong on 2014 – not necessarily because of construction, but because of budgeting.

From a marketing standpoint, it only makes sense. They'll get a big influx of guests in 2013 due to the FLE and now they can get a secondary influx carrying on throughout 2014. Especially with so much of their business coming from Annual Passes, it is a smart business plan.

I hate it, but it does make sense (especially for someone as cheap as TDO). I can hear it now: "why build a new Monsters Inc coaster when we have the SW coaster and can push it back another year so it seems we're opening something else new?"

I was going to say the same thing.

I'll bet marketing is driving the opening date. You know how much they love to say things like "NEW for 2014!"

This way, a fair amount of people will attend in 2013, and then come back in 2014 when the Mine Train opens.

I'll bet they could finish it faster if they wanted to.

djkidkaz

When does Disney film the Christmas parade? Obviously they are going to want it open by then as they will definitely use that show to promote that its open and come and see it!

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
When does Disney film the Christmas parade? Obviously they are going to want it open by then as they will definitely use that show to promote that its open and come and see it!

Wow, very very good point! You just made me a very happy person. There is no way they are not going to feature this heavily in the Christmas parade, and they tape that first week of December-ish. I think I might make it!

autigger

But the mine ride was not part of the original design, the land was cleared for the meet and greets that they decided not to build. Even though they showed concept art, they didn't actually start building the coaster until later 2011.

I found a post on this board from 9/2003 saying that Everest construction had started to go vertical and it opened in 4/2006 which makes it's construction time at least 2 1/2 years. So the mine ride isn't taking longer.

I went to the Magic Kingdom with my family in 2010 and there were pictures advertising that mine ride construction was occuring behind constrution walls (near Winnie the Pooh). Was Mickey lying to me? Does Mickey lie?

If the mine ride turns out to be a true E-ticket like Everest that will be great!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I went to the Magic Kingdom with my family in 2010 and there were pictures advertising that mine ride construction was occuring behind constrution walls (near Winnie the Pooh). Was Mickey lying to me? Does Mickey lie?

If the mine ride turns out to be a true E-ticket like Everest that will be great!

You can see a picture here from October of 2011 where that have just started digging for the mine ride foundation.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions/Fantasyland/Gallery/03Oct2011-Aerial-view-of-construction-site-.htm

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom