Disney College Program for Fall Advantage Cancelled

davis_unoxx

Original Poster
Hello! I was supposed to arrive May 7th to work for Disney, and my program was going to go through next year... Definitely not good news for the park reopening, since DCP makes up a HUGE chunk of frontline cast members!

IMG_2177.JPG

t3techcom18

Hello! I was supposed to arrive May 7th to work for Disney, and my program was going to go through next year... Definitely not good news for the park reopening, since DCP makes up a HUGE chunk of frontline cast members!

Yes, the DCP makes up a large number of frontline CM's, but this is actually a very good thing for FT and PT CM's. That means that hours will be able to be distributed much more evenly once the parks reopen.

celluloid

Yes, the DCP makes up a large number of frontline CM's, but this is actually a very good thing for FT and PT CM's. That means that hours will be able to be distributed much more evenly once the parks reopen.

Well they will be back soon after these things get better from areas that allow. At least I would imagine. They are too cheap of labor and easy income for them not to. But who knows how things will really go.

That being said, it also means that another batch of Furloughs/consoldation are coming, becuase it takes a lot of people to make the CP happen who are not students but recruiters and support.

Also all the 3rd party impact this will have even further than already is going to be big for the area. Local resturants. grocerers and gas stations already hate to CPers not here.

I feel for the international students, and wish them a special well as I am sure it is all a little scary and rushed.

Lilofan

Well they will be back soon after these things get better from areas that allow. At least I would imagine. They are too cheap of labor and easy income for them not to. But who knows how things will really go.

That being said, it also means that another batch of Furloughs/consoldation are coming, becuase it takes a lot of people to make the CP happen who are not students but recruiters and support.

Also all the 3rd party impact this will have even further than already is going to be big for the area. Local resturants. grocerers and gas stations already hate to CPers not here.

I feel for the international students, and wish them a special well as I am sure it is all a little scary and rushed.
The liquor stores will miss the CP/ICP business!

nickys

Premium Member
I know they’ve said they will amend their eligibility criteria so that people can r-apply even if they’ve already graduated.

But it would have been even better to have guaranteed that any CP participant whose programme has been cut short will be able to return at some point in the next 12-18 months. They still have to re-apply and may not get in the second time around. They should automatically be accepted if they re-apply, hopefully that will be what actually happens.

t3techcom18

They are cheap labor, but if there's still a major components to keeping hours flat for FT's and PT's. I don't see any CP's coming back until January if they chose to close down the Fall Advantage program. If the threat of the virus recurring in the fall is too strong and it DOES happen, to send yet another program back to their homes would cause more headache. If anything, I'm probably seeing it as a chance for Disney to do right by the FT's and PT's to get their hours in. That being said, I can also see it being a sign that the parks will indeed be a phased opening/reduced operating hours.

As for the ones who recruit the CP's, the support, etc, that's all part of Casting. As they are part of Office and Technical, they are part of the group that was announced to be furloughed.

erstwo

My program was just cancelled. I've had my senior year, my graduation, and now this. I've lost everything.
I am so sorry you don’t get to enjoy the rest of your year as planned and won’t get a chance to stand and be recognized for all of your hard work. It’s a rite of passage and it’s not fair to you and so many seniors out there to miss all of these events. I know we all realize the reasons this has to happen and recognize it is for the best, but it doesn’t make it any less frustrating and disappointing.
Hoping one day it will work out for you to work at Disney if that is still a goal for you!

celluloid

They are cheap labor, but if there's still a major components to keeping hours flat for FT's and PT's. I don't see any CP's coming back until January if they chose to close down the Fall Advantage program. If the threat of the virus recurring in the fall is too strong and it DOES happen, to send yet another program back to their homes would cause more headache. If anything, I'm probably seeing it as a chance for Disney to do right by the FT's and PT's to get their hours in. That being said, I can also see it being a sign that the parks will indeed be a phased opening/reduced operating hours.

As for the ones who recruit the CP's, the support, etc, that's all part of Casting. As they are part of Office and Technical, they are part of the group that was announced to be furloughed.

I did not mean soon. Janurary/late Jan or early Feb would be the reasonable presumption for the next group.

And to @danitaytay, while stressful, and I understand a bummer and set back to your plans, losing the graduation ceremony and your CP in of itself is not losing everything. Hold on, Disney is not going anywhere and will be around when things are better when the time is right for you. And no one is ever going to value your graduation walk ceremony as a character judgement. You will be fine out there. This will get better. Remember this 10 years from now when people growing up can't imagine such a thing even happening or make light of it the way many have done to things 10 years after 9/11 when a new generation of kids could not understand the impact even with footage and coverage of the event being accessable. Learn from it and know things will get better.

Last edited:

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Could this have been part of the negotiation with unions regarding furloughs and give backs? (as stated this benefits the FT and PT CMs)

t3techcom18

Could this have been part of the negotiation with unions regarding furloughs and give backs? (as stated this benefits the FT and PT CMs)

It's very possible. I could also see it as a way of preventing any infection coming from any other part of the country should it reoccur in the fall.

celluloid

Indirectly of course, but I do not think it has direct correlation anyway. Probably more to do with the water parks, resorts and other venues that make up as much of the CP program as the theme parks do. They will consolodate casting until more labor is needed again.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
I guess if there is a condition to taking any sort of bailout money from the federal government, it means they have to retain most if not all CM (FT/PT) on furlough. Since they want to trim back any labor costs the DCP became expendable. As an indirect comparison, SBA loans require you maintain the majority of your workforce payroll through September in order for the loans to be forgiven.

Kman101

I know it's disappointing to those of you who were planning on coming here and working, but it makes sense to not promise this will be available to you then. Doesn't mean they won't be reopen by then. The hours are likely going to new hires, pt, etc. This is a precautionary measure, IMO. Better to avoid that right now. JMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom