Disney CMs calling guests " Friends"?

tallica

Original Poster
Has anyone else that has visited the parks recently noticed CMs referring to you/your party as "friends"? This has happened the last 2 days at Animal Kingdom numerous times from interactions from entrance to exit. For example buying food, exiting rides, visiting gift shops, and just strolling down the walkways. Wondering if this is a new protocol or if it was a happy coincidence, either way I liked it. In my opinion it good without being overly sweet.

TrainsOfDisney

Has anyone else that has visited the parks recently noticed CMs referring to you/your party as "friends"? This has happened the last 2 days at Animal Kingdom numerous times from interactions from entrance to exit. For example buying food, exiting rides, visiting gift shops, and just strolling down the walkways. Wondering if this is a new protocol or if it was a happy coincidence, either way I liked it. In my opinion it good without being overly sweet.
I first noticed it in California last summer. It is indeed an excellent habit. “Hello friends are you looking for parade viewing” is much more welcoming. Even when said with the typical it’s been a long day cm tone, adding “my friends” really does sound better imho. (And yes I heard plenty of that in California lol).

Jon81uk

There seems to be a lot of places trying to find an appropriate term for saying hello to a group of people.

Lots of places used to use "Hey guys!" but this sounds like an overenthusiastic server at TGI Fridays and also the word guy traditionally means a man, therefore isn't the best term for a family or group of mixed-gender adults.

Sir/Madam are seen as too formal in most settings nowadays.

Hello friends, is welcoming, very Disney and gender neutral. It works well as a greeting for groups of people.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Around the world in many cultures, calling strangers you meet 'friends' is customary and idiomatic.

When foreign speakers translate that into English and call Americans they meet 'friends,' it can sound odd to us, since that's not our custom.

So, in DAK and World Showcase, it seems more 'authentic,' to me, when the CMs call us 'friends.'

LaughingGravy

Friends is personal. It loses its meaning if applied too often.
If one is trying to win someone over who may be skittish, like a leaper or hostage taker for example, yes, use it as an attempt to gather favor in a critical situation.
Otherwise, it's not genuine. It's not much more of a leap to Family. Bad idea, IMO.

DCLcruiser

Sounds creepy to me to be honest if a stranger that I never had interaction with called me a friend. Like a mass murderer was trying to lure you away into a dark park.
100%. We ate at a local higher end steakhouse in the suburbs and one of the servers kept saying Friend. Very creepy. It's ok once, and then it's a problem. This is NY, we don't talk like that.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
1601656436711.png

castlecake2.0

I have noticed this too, and probably comes from us being instructed to not use the word "guys" when referring to a group of guests because it’s too slangy. I prefer to use everyone/everybody (or if on castaway cay, welcome ashore castaways!)

dmw

In the Parks
No
There seems to be a lot of places trying to find an appropriate term for saying hello to a group of people.

Lots of places used to use "Hey guys!" but this sounds like an overenthusiastic server at TGI Fridays and also the word guy traditionally means a man, therefore isn't the best term for a family or group of mixed-gender adults.

Sir/Madam are seen as too formal in most settings nowadays.

Hello friends, is welcoming, very Disney and gender neutral. It works well as a greeting for groups of people.
Using the term "you guys" or hey, guys" is a very common greeting in the US, especially in Southern California. It's definitely not traditionally recognized as a term for men only in that region.

But, greetings do vary even across the US. I now live in Georgia where y'all is the replacement for "you guys". Of course, y'all is singular and "all y'all" is plural, except in questions like, "how y'all doin' today?"

And to read in a separate post that New Yorkers don't like to be called "friends" was a surprise. I guess they are not as friendly in NY? (kidding!!!!)

I really like the "friends" term. As you noted, gender neutral, works singular or plural, and sounds welcoming.

correcaminos

I have noticed this too, and probably comes from us being instructed to not use the word "guys" when referring to a group of guests because it’s too slangy. I prefer to use everyone/everybody (or if on castaway cay, welcome ashore castaways!)
It's also sorta problematic since many view it as make gendered leaving out half the population. While some argue or feel otherwise there is a ton of backlash against it right now in terms of inclusivity. I try to avoid it knowing how it makes others feel.

Friends is used often in schools and kid groups. All inclusive and friendly sounding. I don't mind it but it does make me think of preschool or K teachers lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom