Disney CMs calling guests " Friends"?

DCLcruiser

I feel like "folks" is a much better option at WDW for groups. Individually, just say Hi. No need to given the person a title.

"Friend" sounds like you are part of a cult.

Did the server also make the mistake of making eye contact?!
I hope not. jk. It's just creepy calling someone friend, especially at the and of each sentence.

The server was also creepy in general.

Using the term "you guys" or hey, guys" is a very common greeting in the US, especially in Southern California. It's definitely not traditionally recognized as a term for men only in that region.

But, greetings do vary even across the US. I now live in Georgia where y'all is the replacement for "you guys". Of course, y'all is singular and "all y'all" is plural, except in questions like, "how y'all doin' today?"

And to read in a separate post that New Yorkers don't like to be called "friends" was a surprise. I guess they are not as friendly in NY? (kidding!!!!)

I really like the "friends" term. As you noted, gender neutral, works singular or plural, and sounds welcoming.
In NY, we use "you guys" as a unisex term. We are nicer than you'd think, but we don't like to small talk with strangers unless it is our own idea.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

Wonder why they didn't go with "Mouseketeers"? "Have a Magical Day Mouseketeers" sounds more "Disney" - than "Hello, Friend"
That would be very appropriate for the younger kids but not sure many adults would be as acceptable to it, as it sounds to be too juvenile.
Friends kind of works, I would be OK with it being used with me. But still, hearing it sounds off and not Disney enough like. I get a sense of false sincerity when so many others have used it in public, such as in sales pitches. Saying that, I dont really know what other better term might be used in its place.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Speak "Friend"...
b69c497bebaf8896f37213d062a8359a156a19b7_hq.gif

denyuntilcaught

I love the good intentions behind "Hello, friends," but to me the syntax just makes it sound odd and jarring. Personally, I don't mind "Hello, guys," "Hello there," or even just a "hey". I like the latter because the more colloquial approach and relaxed context somehow gives me a sense of warmth.

tallica

Original Poster
It's also sorta problematic since many view it as make gendered leaving out half the population. While some argue or feel otherwise there is a ton of backlash against it right now in terms of inclusivity. I try to avoid it knowing how it makes others feel.

Friends is used often in schools and kid groups. All inclusive and friendly sounding. I don't mind it but it does make me think of preschool or K teachers lol
When I saw the word inclusive in your post a lightbulb went on in my head. Maybe "Friend" is part of the new fifth key.

correcaminos

When I saw the word inclusive in your post a lightbulb went on in my head. Maybe "Friend" is part of the new fifth key.
I wouldn't be shocked. Equity and Inclusion are huge factors in everything right now, and Disney even saw it enough to add to the 4 keys they always taught. Saying friend, we have to admit, doesn't single anyone out. It's more polite than "hey you" and not as stick in the mud saying "everyone" It's relatively safe. Which is likely why teachers have been using it for years.

mergatroid

Only time I noticed it was about 3 years ago. Walking towards Spaceship Earth I got cramp in my leg and rather embarrassingly had to hop about trying to look 'normal' whilst being in excruciating pain. I ended up sitting on the floor against a wall rubbing my calf to let people know I just had cramp as didn't want a scene. A CM walking towards Spaceship Earth approached my wife and I to check if this dancing fool was okay and my wife explained it was just cramp which I get occasionally with suffering from Dystonia.

The CM asked if we were riding Spaceship Earth and when we said we were just heading over she said "Would you like to use the VIP entrance"? We said that would be great and thanked her and she took us to the side of the attraction and through a CM only doorway. It obviously wasn't designed as a guest entrance and wasn't themed and had notices for CM's pinned on the wall.

At this point she shouted ahead "Guys, I've got two friends I'm bringing through" which I took to mean "Don't swear or continue thinking you're out of view from guests as I'm bringing two guests through". I actually liked the term 'friends' probably more so as it seemed a one off rather than a generic term often used. A couple of turns and we were through a door and on the rotating loading area which was really great completely bypassing the queue and seeing a part of the building that many never get to see.

mergatroid

I wouldn't be shocked. Equity and Inclusion are huge factors in everything right now, and Disney even saw it enough to add to the 4 keys they always taught. Saying friend, we have to admit, doesn't single anyone out. It's more polite than "hey you" and not as stick in the mud saying "everyone" It's relatively safe. Which is likely why teachers have been using it for years.

What if I'm identifying as a person with no friends that day?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom