Disney CMs calling guests " Friends"?

mergatroid

I hope this was not meant to make fun of the whole idea of inclusivity.

Personally I think folks sounds dated and is far more of a regional/cultural term. Very cowboy. I hate folks/folx tbh. Like nails on a chalkboard. I also hate hearing pop for soda so there's that lol

What .......... as if ............ me ................... never ;)

JustAFan

I've noticed it for years. They'll actually use many different friendly or fun terms. In Toy Story Land at HS, they'll call you toys. On Soarin', they'll call you passengers. At Spaceship Earth, you're a time traveler. Disney often finds non-threatening ways to interact with guests, including the famous Disney point.

Also, I live in Texas. You won't live here long before being called 'hon' or 'sweetheart'. :D

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Out of curiosity. When in Frontierland shouldn't it be "Y'all"? Maybe Tomorrowland could be "Entities". Main Street could be "Neighbors". Adventureland could be "Explorers". Liberty Square "My Good People"

And reserve "Friends" only for those who are paying at the ticket window.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Out of curiosity. When in Frontierland shouldn't it be "Y'all"? Maybe Tomorrowland could be "Entities". Main Street could be "Neighbors". Adventureland could be "Explorers". Liberty Square "My Good People"

And reserve "Friends" only for those who are paying at the ticket window.
As long as "Friends" doesn't become CM code for "suckers."

Smooth

1601751957565.png

ElvisMickey

There seems to be a lot of places trying to find an appropriate term for saying hello to a group of people.

Lots of places used to use "Hey guys!" but this sounds like an overenthusiastic server at TGI Fridays and also the word guy traditionally means a man, therefore isn't the best term for a family or group of mixed-gender adults.

Sir/Madam are seen as too formal in most settings nowadays.

Hello friends, is welcoming, very Disney and gender neutral. It works well as a greeting for groups of people.
I‘m waiting for the disgruntled cast members to start throwing around “sexy” and “sweet cheeks”.

Raineman

I really couldn’t care what CMs call me, as long as they’re polite about it. Of course, being Canadian, I might prefer “bud” or “hoser”.

Disneyson

As a person with several transgender friends, I am aware that (while they would not make a big stink about it or act like, as some might say, 'snowflakes',) they would probably be happy with the phasing out of "guys." Probably doesn't go over well with women that aren't used to being called "guys" either. Obviously it's a term that's not meant to be mean, but also it's not gonna kill anyone at WDW to see the death of the word "guys" - my thought is that if it takes like .2% effort on my part and makes someone else's day 100% better, then like, why not switch?

I know that even before the "5th Key", there was a strong push at Disney to not use "guys", with training to use themed dialogue, or else in an unthemed area to say "folks" (as in Mickey's "Hiya, folks!"). Of course, like how not every cast member is always "in theme", neither did everyone stop saying "guys." In other words, this is not something new, but probably something that is being pushed now more with the new key.

I do agree though, Friends sounds fake, and I hate it when people call me that - you're right, I'm not their 'friend'. I also agree that "HI FRIENDS" sounds like "HOWDY SUCKER HAVE A *MAAAAGICAL DAY*" I PERSONALLY would prefer to be called "guy", but then again I am a guy. Using terms like "Hello, everyone!" or "Hey there, Explorers!" seems better. When I worked there I would say "Hey there, movie stars!" and "Namaste, travelers!" Easier for everyone, fun for the kids, helps immersion, and when you get the words in your mouth and with repetition it begins to come out of your mouth more easily.

yensid67

Maybe it has to do with Disney adding a 5th Key to the Traditions Training...INCLUSION. By saying friend you refer to everyone despite race, religion, etc.

Here's the article...

Disney updates its legendary Four Keys model to include a fifth key​

9 days ago in "The Walt Disney Company"

Forums Tweet Share
Disney plans to update its legendary Four Keys foundation with a fifth key - Inclusion.
For more than 60 years, the Four Keys of Safety, Courtesy, Show, and Efficiency have been instilled in every Cast Member from day one of their Traditions training, and is a guiding principle of guest service for the company.
The new key represents the company's commitment to cultural transformation, and with it being part of the keys, it will be part of everyday working life for Cast Members.
The position of the fifth key in the hierarchy is still to be determined.

GimpYancIent

As a person with several transgender friends, I am aware that (while they would not make a big stink about it or act like, as some might say, 'snowflakes',) they would probably be happy with the phasing out of "guys." Probably doesn't go over well with women that aren't used to being called "guys" either. Obviously it's a term that's not meant to be mean, but also it's not gonna kill anyone at WDW to see the death of the word "guys" - my thought is that if it takes like .2% effort on my part and makes someone else's day 100% better, then like, why not switch?

I know that even before the "5th Key", there was a strong push at Disney to not use "guys", with training to use themed dialogue, or else in an unthemed area to say "folks" (as in Mickey's "Hiya, folks!"). Of course, like how not every cast member is always "in theme", neither did everyone stop saying "guys." In other words, this is not something new, but probably something that is being pushed now more with the new key.

I do agree though, Friends sounds fake, and I hate it when people call me that - you're right, I'm not their 'friend'. I also agree that "HI FRIENDS" sounds like "HOWDY SUCKER HAVE A *MAAAAGICAL DAY*" I PERSONALLY would prefer to be called "guy", but then again I am a guy. Using terms like "Hello, everyone!" or "Hey there, Explorers!" seems better. When I worked there I would say "Hey there, movie stars!" and "Namaste, travelers!" Easier for everyone, fun for the kids, helps immersion, and when you get the words in your mouth and with repetition it begins to come out of your mouth more easily.
After a couple of Dole Whip Rum Floats it really does not matter.

Disneyson

After a couple of Dole Whip Rum Floats it really does not matter.
That his friends are transgender? That’s a heck of a Rum Float. ;)
Yeah, this is what I took away from the comment to and it's a solid yikes from me - I'd be more careful about what you imply.

To me, it doesn't matter at all, agreed. To you, maybe (probably) not either.

The thing is, at the end of the day neither you nor I can really tell other people that their feelings are stupid or to get over it, we don't control their feelings or brains. To others that I know, they might not say it in public, they definitely "get" it, and, as I said, would not be "that guy" (hah another gendered phrase, should probably say 'that person', I'm still learning too) about it, but it matters a lot for some and is ALWAYS a good move to be cognizant of the feelings of other humans. Just like the two-finger point, it's not like a lot of guest are going to care, but it's a really smart courtesy done for the people that MIGHT care.

Let's bring it back to Disney here. Making people comfortable isn't just "the decent thing to do", it's also going to make those people that care feel safer at WDW and thus return to spend their money there. And it doesn't cost them anything to take precautions.

Money or "earning brownie points" aside, I just do it to be a decent person, because I know a lot of people actually do think these sorts of thing matters, who am I to judge? I just want to make sure people feel happy, and it literally does not change my life at all.

Disneyson

Good lord, it was a joke. Society has become a humorless, sanctimonious bore.

View attachment 502902
Understood the joke and can sympathyze with your perspective. I sometimes feel that way, too. Just sometimes hurts when you write something from the heart and people regard it flippantly. Maybe I'm being too serious and santimonious, but I also think it's a matter, at least for me, of understanding one's place in this conversation.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I used to have a bunch of "rowdy" friends - on Monday Night. But they all got fired.

Back to the topic. I get references to friends made by CMs. But is this a conscientious change in how CM's are to address Guests?

GimpYancIent

I used to have a bunch of "rowdy" friends - on Monday Night. But they all got fired.

Back to the topic. I get references to friends made by CMs. But is this a conscientious change in how CM's are to address Guests?
Well, friend, seems to be a non-abrasive well intentioned message to persons that one does not know but is conducting business with. Unless you want to John Wayne it and call people "Pilgrim" maybe?

TrainsOfDisney

Last summer in California it was almost constant, so it seems like it probably is.

I don’t think it’s the only term cm’s are allowed to use. As others have said there are on theme..: “to our valued guests” at tower, howdy partners! At big thunder etc.

The bigger push, hopefully, is that guests are greeted and not just instructed. The point is, “hello friends please continue through the walkway as this is not a viewing area” sounds better than “keep it moving!”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom