Disney CMs calling guests " Friends"?

CntrlFlPete

Can you clarify what you mean?

I guess I mean that I see 'princess' as a type of person, not as a gender title. The way one dresses and carries themselves, the items they are looking at in the store, I just feel there are folks from any gender that would not mind being addressed as princess and sure it is safe for Disney to use a generic term for all guest, I sort of think their employees could get away using the term princess based on the employee's own judgment.

Again, I often feel I'm an oddball for thinking like this, I mean no offence and maybe it is 100% wrong, I do not know, but I have had male friends that consider themselves a princess and they are comfortable w/ the term which helped me form an opinion that a term is more a type of person than the gender of a person.

If this comes off as offensive, please let me know as I do feel I am capable to learn/change, it is just not a view that I have expressed before and it may be more offensive than I realize.

Californian Elitist

OK, I can understand that as long as you are flexible enough to understand that is a personal concern and unless you wore a sign that says "Please don't call me ma'am!" others do not know that. If you can accept that, depending on where you are, it is possible that people with the best of intentions might call you that thinking that they are being respectful. That's what I meant by being flexible and not taking offense if someone uses that salutation. Family and friends might no that it bothers you, the rest of the world does not. Any of us that were in the military had that hammered into our heads to use both sir and ma'am. The concern was not to identify gender but to show respect. What would be the proper words to use? Would "Hey you!" be proper?
I have never taken offense to being referred to as “ma’am.” I’ve been alive enough and have been accustomed to Western culture enough to know that “ma’am” is integrated into society.

The Mom

Premium Member
What is wrong with a smiling "Hello" "Good Morning" "Good Afternoon" "Good Evening" or "Good Night?" It could be followed by an appropriate question, such as, "How can I help you today?" "Please enjoy your stay/visit/day " Again, if stated pleasantly, I would certainly consider it welcoming.

I don't see the need to add friend, sir, ma'am etc.

jloucks

So after reading the entire thread, I can say the take away is no matter how you address somebody, you're gonna irk somebody.

Faith in humanity -1

I call an obvious woman Ma'am = Offense
I call a group of folks y'all = offense
I call a group of folks guys = offense
I call a group of folks friends = offense
I call a group of folks ladies & gentlemen = offense

*sigh*

So, here is a fun fact, I am very male looking, and in fact male. My voice tho, well, not so much. People call me ma'am on the phone all the time. You know how much it bothers me?

ZERO

If people could just learn positive intent the world would be a better place. In other words, don't make offense exist where it was never intended. And if you do, that is all on you.

Lol, hypocrite alert.... All that said, I am not a huge fan of "sweety" "sugar" "honey" etc. I should be used to it, I live in the South. I would NEVER complain tho, as the intent is coming from a good place. Chastising a good person for being sweet horrifies me.

TrainsOfDisney

My understanding is, they want the cast to address the guests personally.

“Hello friends, for firework viewing please stand within the ropes”

“Hello friends” is the greeting. I suppose you could just say “hello, for firework viewing…” but you’re not addressing people as individuals at that point.

LittleBuford

Wait, why are they not appropriate for children?

Maybe it is a southern thing? ..but we addressed kids formally, generally when correcting, all the time.

"No ma'am, you may not bite the cat!"
I associate such usage with jocular scolding, as in the example you provided, and I would find it very strange/unnatural in other contexts. It's almost impossible for me to imagine a CM saying to a four-year-old child, "Sir/ma'am, would you like to meet Mickey?"

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There are some nuances to the use of the "friend" depending on where you are from. In some cases, "friend" is actually a low-key warning. "Guest" is as neutral and bland as possible, so if the desire is to be neutral / non-offensive and generic "guest" is the better way to go rather than "friend.
Where in the world would 'friend' as used in the parks be contextually interpreted as aggressive?

Welcome back friends!

How dare you!!!

Last edited:

LittleBuford

I guess I mean that I see 'princess' as a type of person, not as a gender title. The way one dresses and carries themselves, the items they are looking at in the store, I just feel there are folks from any gender that would not mind being addressed as princess and sure it is safe for Disney to use a generic term for all guest, I sort of think their employees could get away using the term princess based on the employee's own judgment.

Again, I often feel I'm an oddball for thinking like this, I mean no offence and maybe it is 100% wrong, I do not know, but I have had male friends that consider themselves a princess and they are comfortable w/ the term which helped me form an opinion that a term is more a type of person than the gender of a person.

If this comes off as offensive, please let me know as I do feel I am capable to learn/change, it is just not a view that I have expressed before and it may be more offensive than I realize.
I'm a gay man and read as such. If someone other than a fellow camp gay man referred to me as "princess", I would take great offence.

GimpYancIent

I associate such usage with jocular scolding, as in the example you provided, and I would find it very strange/unnatural in other contexts. It's almost impossible for me to imagine a CM saying to a four-year-old child, "Sir/ma'am, would you like to meet Mickey?"
I do not think the four-year-old child will care because all the child will hear is "Would You Like To Meet Mickey?"

Californian Elitist

So after reading the entire thread, I can say the take away is no matter how you address somebody, you're gonna irk somebody.

Faith in humanity -1

I call an obvious woman Ma'am = Offense
I call a group of folks y'all = offense
I call a group of folks guys = offense
I call a group of folks friends = offense
I call a group of folks ladies & gentlemen = offense

*sigh*

So, here is a fun fact, I am very male looking, and in fact male. My voice tho, well, not so much. People call me ma'am on the phone all the time. You know how much it bothers me?

ZERO

If people could just learn positive intent the world would be a better place. In other words, don't make offense exist where it was never intended. And if you do, that is all on you.

Lol, hypocrite alert.... All that said, I am not a huge fan of "sweety" "sugar" "honey" etc. I should be used to it, I live in the South. I would NEVER complain tho, as the intent is coming from a good place. Chastising a good person for being sweet horrifies me.
Who in this thread has recently claimed to take such great offense at being called something they don’t necessarily like, particularly a word that traditionally is supposed to be respectful? I missed those posts.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
How about 'folks' when addressing a group of people?

As for when a CM needs to call on/address an individual, guess it'll come to a point when CMs will just say 'person' or 'human', lol. Seriously though, I personally don't mind if a CM calls me friend or ma'am, as long as the tone is respectful and cordial.

It's just impossible to please everybody. 🤷‍♀️

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What is wrong with a smiling "Hello" "Good Morning" "Good Afternoon" "Good Evening" or "Good Night?" It could be followed by an appropriate question, such as, "How can I help you today?" "Please enjoy your stay/visit/day " Again, if stated pleasantly, I would certainly consider it welcoming.

If WDW was in the greater NYC area, then "youse guys" would be the appropriate form of address, whether stated pleasantly or not. Mostly not.

Smiley/OCD

Aside from being presumptuous assuming familiarity in both of the locations I live, it's a cautionary form of address that if not heeded will lead to rapid escalation and confrontation. It might be a common language, but there are regional variations in meanings.
Maybe it’s just me, but being referred as a friend by a complete stranger just strikes me as creepy…like David Healy working at Edelweiss Gardens…they should just address us as Chappy would…Suckers…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom