Disney CMs calling guests " Friends"?

Goofyernmost

It is the new Disney 'wokeness'. No longer are there boys and girls, men and women - just friends.
In the case of Disney it is not even a little important. There is no reason to even be concerned. There are ways around it that are neither offensive nor Woke. A word that is both meaningless and lousy grammar. The outside world needs to roll over and wake up to reality, so the way it is being used isn't even descriptive. Damn can we get more ignorant? What they are is people of varying ages. Specific gender and relationships are not relevant at all. As people, all should be able to be whatever they want to be and that is no one else's business.

By not using specific needless identity we are changing nothing, we are just being tolerant of everyone including those that can't seem to just live their own life and not try to control others.

CntrlFlPete

I was never bothered when they called my wife and/or daughter 'princess' -- but I guess I am odd for I just never considered 'princess' as gender specific (as I know more than a few from each gender that I know of).

These days, I only seem to hear 'friends' from them when they are trying to get me to do something different 'friends, you do not want to go that way' -- 'friends, move along now, keep this path open'

Weather_Lady

I'm not wild about "friend", just as I'm not wild about "chief" or "boss". Just go with "sir" or "ma'am" and you'll be safe.
Not necessarily: my daughter spent 2 years (ages 12-14) with a short pixie haircut and a preference for modest tops to hide her curves, and despite the fact that she still looked, sounded, and acted 100% like the lovely young woman she is, was routinely called "buddy," "little bro," "sir," and all kinds of similarly incorrect terms by well-meaning people, to the point where she briefly developed a phobia of addressing cashiers or giving her order at restaurants. In a world of androgynous styling choices, Sir or Ma'm aren't clear-cut or safe in all circumstances.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

That’s you, though. You can’t speak for all little boys.

I’m female and don’t want to be referred to as “ma’am.”
Just curious, are you somehow ashamed that you're female. In the south it is a very respectful manner of greeting. I found that if used in the north it is considered an insult that implies old age. Everything is regional. Like if you go to Italy they speak Italian even if you don't understand what is being said!

Californian Elitist

Just curious, are you somehow ashamed that you're female. In the south it is a very respectful manner of greeting. I found that if used in the north it is considered an insult that implies old age. Everything is regional. Like if you go to Italy they speak Italian even if you don't understand what is being said!
I’m not, nor have I ever, been ashamed to be female. I’m quite feminine. I wear makeup (as you can see in the photo of myself below), I love wearing high heels, I wear clips in my hair, and I love fashionable womens wear.

96D9CAA9-3EC3-401D-8326-5E729E7A8BC7.jpeg

I simply don’t want to be referred to as “ma’am.” I don’t like it.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I’ve not, nor have I ever, been ashamed to be female. I’m quite feminine. I wear makeup (as you can see in the photo of myself below), I love wearing high heels, I wear clips in my hair, and I love fashionable womens wear.

View attachment 672210

I simply don’t want to be referred to as “ma’am.” I don’t like it.
OK, I can understand that as long as you are flexible enough to understand that is a personal concern and unless you wore a sign that says "Please don't call me ma'am!" others do not know that. If you can accept that, depending on where you are, it is possible that people with the best of intentions might call you that thinking that they are being respectful. That's what I meant by being flexible and not taking offense if someone uses that salutation. Family and friends might know that it bothers you, the rest of the world does not. Any of us that were in the military had that hammered into our heads to use both sir and ma'am. The concern was not to identify gender but to show respect. What would be the proper words to use? Would "Hey you!" be proper?

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

There are some nuances to the use of the "friend" depending on where you are from. In some cases, "friend" is actually a low-key warning. "Guest" is as neutral and bland as possible, so if the desire is to be neutral / non-offensive and generic "guest" is the better way to go rather than "friend.

GimpYancIent

OK, I can understand that as long as you are flexible enough to understand that is a personal concern and unless you wore a sign that says "Please don't call me ma'am!" others do not know that. If you can accept that, depending on where you are, it is possible that people with the best of intentions might call you that thinking that they are being respectful. That's what I meant by being flexible and not taking offense if someone uses that salutation. Family and friends might no that it bothers you, the rest of the world does not. Any of us that were in the military had that hammered into our heads to use both sir and ma'am. The concern was not to identify gender but to show respect. What would be the proper words to use? Would "Hey you!" be proper?
As an old, retired Army veteran I concur with you. The use of "Sir" or Ma'am" is a sign of respect used for centuries.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom