Disney CMs calling guests " Friends"?

correcaminos

yes, and it is also common for a group of men and women to be addressed as Amigos, which is masculine, even when women are present. Much the same as common US vernacular of saying "you guys". Latin languages have so much built in that is masculine or feminine... how will they adjust 🤔
My kid and classmates know how to adjust for it and even teachers too for those who want gender neutral pronouns. Hint: it's not x and in school not os but ao

CntrlFlPete

It’s curious to me that so many of the complaints here centre on the perceived insincerity of being called “friend”. For those averse to displays of (artificial) chumminess, I can’t think of a less suitable holiday destination than WDW. How are those who dislike “friend” able to tolerate the relentless geniality that one more generally experiences during a Disney holiday?

I think a lot of my issue is that I have heard it used in what I feel is an improper use of the word. 'Hey friends, you really do not want to do that or I will be forced to call security'

When the word is heard too often and used in many different ways, it makes it stand out to the point I realized (on my first visit) that it was some sort of policy.

You've reminded me that my family spent last Christmas eating Latkas at Epcot. disingenuous holiday greetings are another ball of wax. I really do not understand the whole 'happy holidays' as my holiday has ended already -- so I imagine it is xmas, Quanza, New Year's day? Me personally, after Hanukkah has ended (when so early like this year), I'd rather here 'merry christmas'.

Anyway, I am bother for I am not sure that the folks who say 'happy holidays' truly understand the reason they are saying it, but they seem sincere enough -- the Disney CM's and 'friends' just comes off as forced which is what bothered me about it.

Goofyernmost

I think a lot of my issue is that I have heard it used in what I feel is an improper use of the word. 'Hey friends, you really do not want to do that or I will be forced to call security'

When the word is heard too often and used in many different ways, it makes it stand out to the point I realized (on my first visit) that it was some sort of policy.

You've reminded me that my family spent last Christmas eating Latkas at Epcot. disingenuous holiday greetings are another ball of wax. I really do not understand the whole 'happy holidays' as my holiday has ended already -- so I imagine it is xmas, Quanza, New Year's day? Me personally, after Hanukkah has ended (when so early like this year), I'd rather here 'merry christmas'.

Anyway, I am bother for I am not sure that the folks who say 'happy holidays' truly understand the reason they are saying it, but they seem sincere enough -- the Disney CM's and 'friends' just comes off as forced which is what bothered me about it.
I find it more objectional that they are forced to point out the restroom with two fingers. I just feel that they are giving me the middle finger twice. I guess we all are running out of common sense and have an abundance of 1st world problems. Sympathy, I don't have!

correcaminos

It's Kwanzaa first of all. Holidays originally had religious meanings but was expanded to include the ones listed. Though for me it goes through epiphany so beyond new years. I say happy holidays to be inclusive since I often forget what day it is once the kids are out of school ;)

I'd rather friends than ma'am and I'm sure those who are more ambiguous prefer that over incorrect labeling. Much like calling a pregnant person fat is bad....

Goofyernmost

It's Kwanzaa first of all. Holidays originally had religious meanings but was expanded to include the ones listed. Though for me it goes through epiphany so beyond new years. I say happy holidays to be inclusive since I often forget what day it is once the kids are out of school ;)

I'd rather friends than ma'am and I'm sure those who are more ambiguous prefer that over incorrect labeling. Much like calling a pregnant person fat is bad....
Based on past experience that last example is far worse. In fact I'm pretty sure that calling a pregnant person fat is indeed considered legally to be grounds for justifiable homicide.

mergatroid

I suppose Disney can't win really? Friends, pals, amigos, guys, guests, dudes, people, chums, buddies or even d#######s, whichever they choose somebody won't like the tone, word, inference or use of it.

Quite simply I think it's good that CM's are instructed to be polite, second guessing whether they mean it is a bit pointless. For those who like to feel catered to at least if they don't greet you politely and you're one of those who likes complaining, you can make a complaint assured that it will be questioned and addressed. Alternatively you could always wear noise blocking headphones if it really bothers you that much and that way your day isn't ruined by wondering whether a CM that said Good morning to you actually meant it or not.

Later mateys ;)

Goofyernmost

Here’s one, the new Electrical Parade intro in Tokyo Disneyland now starts out with “Good evening and welcome one and all”. I don’t care what their agenda is the intro should be grandfathered in by now.

Are you saying you have an issue with "Good evening and welcome one and all"? If so, what's the problem exactly?
I don't think that is what they are saying. I think they are saying that it is really quite an acceptable, non-offensive thing to say. One and all is totally encompassing and doesn't differentiate between anyone. And should indeed be used. I don't think grandfathered is used properly in that statement though. It just should become policy for all group statements.

That doesn't solve the problem of individuals being called friends. I have made statements to folks I hardly know saying something like. Good morning, my friend, how are you doing today, Or even have a good day, my friend. Just because I don't know what that person does when I'm not around him or her, doesn't mean that I shouldn't consider them a friend in the sense of another human being that I am "friendly" with and want the same in return. Again, our tendency to make mountains out of molehills. I can understand some of the stresses that have put so many of us in this particular mood of tending to feel a little less then connected with someone we don't know, but to me if they aren't brandishing a gun at me and/or insisting that I agree with them then they can be my friend until or unless they become my enemy.

correcaminos

Based on past experience that last example is far worse. In fact I'm pretty sure that calling a pregnant person fat is indeed considered legally to be grounds for justifiable homicide.
Yeah when my dear friend said it even his wife was going to deck him it looked like :p

I'm much happier with friends than ma'am. I'll tell you it'd almost as bad to be called that as fat when you're of a certain age. I was early 20s when I heard that and was like whaaaaaat? 🤣

Truly better to be safe than sorry.

LittleBuford

I don't think that is what they are saying. I think they are saying that it is really quite an acceptable, non-offensive thing to say. One and all is totally encompassing and doesn't differentiate between anyone. And should indeed be used. I don't think grandfathered is used properly in that statement though. It just should become policy for all group statements.
Their reference to “agenda” makes me think the opposite—that they’re arguing that “one and all” is a bad replacement for whatever was there before (presumably “ladies and gentlemen”). Perhaps they’ll clarify for us!

John park hopper

The original Mickey Mouse Club song at the beginning of the show had these lyrics. All CMs should greet guest with these original lyrics.

"Hey there, Hi there, Ho there. You're as welcome as can be!"

Texas84

Yeah, where I'm from if you call someone 'friend' there's a problem. But at Disney I won't take it that way.

buddy.gif

mergatroid

The original Mickey Mouse Club song at the beginning of the show had these lyrics. All CMs should greet guest with these original lyrics.

"Hey there, Hi there, Ho there. You're as welcome as can be!"
Guaranteed that a lady (or somebody identifying as one/gender fluid) on here, will take offense at being called that :p

ELG13

It may have been mentioned but I can't read all 11 pages right now but it's probably because "prince" and "princess" are no longer approved since gender identity is a huge topic right now. I don't mind friends! And I know my husband likes it because we have 3 kids, 2 of which are boys that are very pretty lol and they were both called princess MULTIPLE times on previous trips. I don't mind it, I know they are pretty lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom