Disney Club ending

cymbaldiva

:lol:

Here's a very simple answer FourFourSeven....

I'd rather they keep the Disney Club - I have no interest whatsoever in Mission Space...

Guess you picked the wrong girl to use that example on! :animwink: :lol:

Originally posted by niteobsrvr

Thank You.

LOL, Business School graduates Unite.

And by the way, Business school doesn't make us right, it just taught us a few basic things about marketing. More importantly, it helped us hone our analytical skills.

I hope that your not referring to the same business school grads that have killed Disney revenue growth with these sort of actions, obliterated the stock price, and killed the Disney Stores?

I hope these aren't the same business school teachings that have led to too many unrealistic CEO and executive salaries at the expense of shareholders, guests, and quality services simply because these BUSINESS people thought that reviewing some reports that stated if we become cheaper and cheaper with customers and services it means more and more bonuses for us because we'll have more and more revenue with these cost saving and revenue increasing cuts? Yeah these bankrupt businesses out there and their executives sure analized those reports correctly! The only result was hurt shareholders, hurt customers, and mega wealthy executives. Yeah if I was a Disney executive right now I guess I would believe that rosy report about the benefits of cutting the Disney Club right about now. As to the rest of us we should take such action and such report with the outrage that we have right about now! As to those of you who have no problem with such closure, I have some Enron, WorldCom, and Global Crossing shares to sell you right now...the report is that they're a great investment for the future! Trust me!

As to the analytical skills all of you business people really caught that big stock market crash didn't you????? (Among other things) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thankfully, I'm not in the business field because I still have common sense!:p :p :p

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by thedisneyfan

I hope that your not referring to the same business school grads that have killed Disney revenue growth with these sort of actions, obliterated the stock price, and killed the Disney Stores?

As to those of you who have no problem with such closure, I have some Enron, WorldCom, and Global Crossing shares to sell you right now...the report is that they're a great investment for the future! Trust me!

As to the analytical skills all of you business people really caught that big stock market crash didn't you????? (Among other things) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thankfully, I'm not in the business field because I still have common sense!:p :p :p

Actually, I just recently started buying stocks. I told some folks two years ago there was a crash coming and then after that the time to buy would be right. Once we get past the crash bubble, stocks will grow at a slow and steady rate just as they had most of the rest of the 20th century. Take a look at the Dow for the last 100 years, and you can see that the 90's were an out of control anomaly that will hopefully not be repeated in the remaing part of my life. I also find it kind of ironic that the real economist (not payed for by the governemt or industry) were trumpeting this exact message to the world only to be ignored.

The Nineties were all about get rich quick at any price. And, unfortunately, business leaders around the world catered to the need to raise their stock. Which they did utilizing legitimate tactics like cost cutting and illegitimate acts of "aggressive accounting". Its kind of hard to raise your stock price when you are a corporation with a long history being compared directly to the Dot.com flops and Enrons, etc.. of the nineties. Companies like Disney were actually turning a real definable profit, yet were being compared to technology companies that were simply consuming cash like it grew on trees.

I am going to be a little harsh here but I can't express my thoughts any other way about the business management climate of the last several years. I think many Companies are run by brown-nosing morons. These are the people who will take a legitimate analysis of a situation and change a few numbers to make the report say what they (or the executive they report to) want it to say in order to gain points in the company. I can say this because I have been the analyst who authored the reports and was forced to change data in order to skew the results. Business today has more to do with intra-office self-promotion and governmental politics than it does with actually running a profitable company.

Business leaders of the past, while still harboring some brown-nosing abilities, also proved to be a little more visionary in their management style. Walt Disney himself was just one example of the business leaders of his time with the "ability to see the future".

Disney specifically engineered the demise of the Disney Store on its own and with the help of consumers. There is a fine line in retail that you have to be careful not to cross. You have to be able to keep your product from becoming a commodity or worse a fad while at the same time making sure it is conveniently available for all who wish to purchase it. In the Disney Store scenario, the consumers desire to buy Disney products at every mall in America was over estimated. I also believe they over estimated the brands appeal outside of holiday seasons, other special occasions and vacation trips to theme parks. Most Americans arent die hard Disney fans.

A couple of Disney stores in a major metro area like Atlanta for example makes sense. The products are available to those who want them without having to drive too far but without having them on every corner. This preserves the "magic" of the Disney product and makes people think they are getting something special.

On the other hand, building the same number of Disney Stores that you have in Atlanta, in a place like Cincinnati makes little sense. The store will no longer be seen as something special but as the Walgreens or Eckerds on every corner.

My bottom line is Disney's executives saw some excellent results form the first group of stores and then over-built just like the Gap and other specialty retailers who are in trouble today. The business term for what they are expereincing was called Diminishing Returns.

I have made my case for the Disney Club closure and therefore will not repeat it in this post. Lets just suffice it to say that sometimes there are situations that require mass marketing and sometimes not.

By the way Common Sense is not lacking in Business Leaders, good old accurate information is as well as the ability to trust your "gut instinct". LOL, most executives wouldn't walk in front of a moving train but they might not check the source data for some of their scenarios on paper either.

Integrity and honesty have been lost in todays mad clamor to raise stock prices and return on shareholders investment. However short-term fixes don't usually lead to long term growth.

By the way if anyone out there is a newspaper publisher and looking for a new editorial columnist feel free to send me an email. LOL, I may as well get paid to do this kind of writing.:lol:

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by MacArthur11
Since Disney is going with this Visa credit card, does that mean that the current Diseny Credit Card will be discontinued?

Yes...it will be faded out... early 1st quarter of next year (that is what I read).....and you will have the option to replace it with this new card. :)

prberk

credit where credit is due

OK, niteobsrvr, I have criticized most of your posts in this thread; so it is only right that I give credit where it is due. I agree with pretty much everything that you said in the last post.

Too many businesses today give up long-term investment for short-term gain. I hope Disney does not succomb to this type of pressure this year, but it is certainly out there. Many analysts are so worried about the current depression of the DIS stock that pressure is intense to "do something (anything) now." It is that kind of pressure that can sometimes prompt unethical accounting or short-sited decisions... I hope Disney steers clear.

Sigh... Here goes...

No, niteobsrvr was jokingly commenting on the fact that both he/she (sorry don't know) and I have MBAs. I was doing a basic analysis of why the Disney Club does not look like it's necessarily a smart investment. I made no comment on the management ability of Disney in the last few years (and yes, they have done boneheaded things, btw. Their board was a joke, and it may cost Eisner his job).
Again, not sure how this is relevant, but my portfolio is about even since 2000 (though down some this year). Still, my portfolio has done quite well through the years, but I've always focused on and small-to-midcap growth-focused companies with strong fundamentals and good products/services, balanced by a decent cash position. Never owned any fad internet stock, nor any Enron, Worldcom, or Global Crossing. Thanks for asking...:)

Thedisneyfan - do you disagree with my analysis that shows that the Disney Club does not look like a great investment? I didn't see you address it at all, but speaking more in generalities about poor management (which I do not disagree with). Have I made a mistake in my analysis, or do you agree that the Disney Club is probably not a smart investment? Or will you not answer? ;)

Originally posted by cymbaldiva
I'd rather they keep the Disney Club - I have no interest whatsoever in Mission Space...

Guess you picked the wrong girl to use that example on! :animwink: :lol:

I guess so!:) I got unlucky there. Oh, well. :lol: But wouldn't you agree that, overall, Mission Space is more of a draw than the Disney Club? Not for you personally, but overall?

I hope I don't start a rumor that Disney execs are deciding which to keep - Disney Club or Mission Space. :)

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by FourFourSeven

I guess so!:) I got unlucky there. Oh, well. :lol: But wouldn't you agree that, overall, Mission Space is more of a draw than the Disney Club? Not for you personally, but overall?

I hope I don't start a rumor that Disney execs are deciding which to keep - Disney Club or Mission Space. :)

That just comes back to the discussion of short-term vs long-term.

In the very near future, MS will most certainly bring in new visitors to "check out" the new ride at Epcot...

As for the long-term, the thrill seekers that came just to check it out will probably tire of it quickly, so in the long haul I feel that the Disney Club would be a better investment.

That's just me though... Ya'll please don't ridicule me too much when bashing my thoughts! :)

Thedisneyfan - do you disagree with my analysis that shows that the Disney Club does not look like a great investment? I didn't see you address it at all, but speaking more in generalities about poor management (which I do not disagree with). Have I made a mistake in my analysis, or do you agree that the Disney Club is probably not a smart investment? Or will you not answer? ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

I've addressed why the notion that the Disney Club isn't a worthwhile program is incorrect in earlier posts. Yes I do feel that your analysis is incorrect. Plus, the loss of revenue that you feel isn't important in such a big company, its this same attitude that has cost companies their fortunes. In today's economy, every dollar (even Disney dollars) counts! I think that its a mistake to discount the value of the Disney Club.

Offer a new Visa rewards program, fine no problem. But keep the Disney Club program as well, which has obviously made many many people happy, and as we all know a happy customer is a good customer.

By the way, I have no fear to answer back no matter how many people are wrong and attack my view! Eventually the error in their view will be proved sooner or later in one way or another! ;)
It's okay I understand you guys are only human. :lol:

prberk

Hey, there is room for discussion. Even Walt understood that. He struck a deal with ABC that kept the cash flowing while he built his "folly": Disneyland, which most other (not all, obviously, but at least the most prominent) businessmen and bankers saw as a completely bad investment....

But in the long run, it was Walt's vision, encouraged and paid for in part by other business practices, that came to build the foundation for the company.

Once again: great PRODUCT, matched with enthusiastic and appropriate marketing is the long-term growth strategy. But it starts with great product. Even with great marketing (or "brand management"), a bad product will eventually fizzle.

The Disney Club (or, better, the Magic Kingdom Club as a benefit for workplaces) is just one way to market the product. It ought to be considered as a part of the mix, not just an either-or situation.

Originally posted by cymbaldiva

That just comes back to the discussion of short-term vs long-term.

In the very near future, MS will most certainly bring in new visitors to "check out" the new ride at Epcot...

As for the long-term, the thrill seekers that came just to check it out will probably tire of it quickly, so in the long haul I feel that the Disney Club would be a better investment.

True, if Mission: Space is nothing special. BUT, if it's a classic like Tower of Terror or Splash Mountain, I bet people WILL keep coming to go on it.

That's just me though... Ya'll please don't ridicule me too much when bashing my thoughts! :)
Sorry if I did. I sure didn't mean to - I think you have a reasonable opinion with good reasoning behind it. I do disagree with you and like to argue my case, but I sure didn't want to bash you.

I much prefer intelligent discussion over bashing people or writing "I know I'm right and you're wrong, so there!" Imagine if Walt had that attitude with Roy. WDW wouldn't exist today... Or we'd have a shuttered up, 1960's-future planned city version of Epcot. (Shudder!)

cymbaldiva

FourFourSeven -

I really didn't mean you! :)

I know we don't see eye to eye on this particular subject, but I think that the point of having discussion boards in the first place is to get to talk to others and debate issues w/o things getting ugly.

You've really been quite nice, actually! :animwink: It's a pleasure to chat with you! :wave:

celticdog

Well, it's a done deal. The Club is ending. I sent an e-mail of concern and disappointment to the Diseny Club. I received two responses, one from Corporate relations and the other from Annette at the Disney Club. Both responses had the same type of messages.

The Club is ending, however, new programs and other promotional methods will be instituted soon.

So, we shall see.

MKCustodial

Originally posted by celticdog
The Club is ending, however, new programs and other promotional methods will be instituted soon.

So, we shall see.

I wish they remembered WDW, and Disney as a whole, has International fans as well. Some of those programs could apply for us. Sure, economy is a right now, but one can dream, right? ;)

Cheryl

:confused: Man oh Man oh Man!!!

First I get all upset about Disney closing the AP lounges and now this! We're definitely Disney people...we are in the DVC, AP and DC members and let me tell ya....I think Disney is trying to get a little more money from everyone. Granted we still get the 10% at the Disney Store with using our DVC cards (unless that's going to be changing as well)! We just became DC members back in June for our trip in July so it looks like if we want to be able to use the discount on the AP, we'll have to go before the end of June! Ugh! What's next? Disney will think of something I'm sure!:hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom