Disney Club ending

prberk

Originally posted by roiff

I often read these boards and very rarely post. But...in special cases I think it is worth it.

I may be grossly misdirected, but I would argue that loyalty to Disney World is not based in ANY way on the Disney Club or any such discount program. I think most people go to Disney World again and again because they enjoy Disney World, not because they were just offered 10% off of merchandise at a local Disney Store.

The Disney Club is NOT like the loyalty programs offered by other companies...it isn't a reward for frequent use. And, so, it doesn't promote loyalty any more than a number of other initiatives.

You are right that loyalty to WDW is not solely based on this or any other club, but it does have an effect: the discounted HOTEL ROOMS were a great incentive.

But even that was not the great thrust of my comments. Mostly I was saying that the club and its predecessor easily marketed to the most loyal customers, with promotions and direct mail that reminded them regularly of goings-on. This is the most effective advertising, because it directly hits the probable customers, company-wide, not just at WDW. Read these boards in other places today and you will find people talking about going to the Disney Store over other booksellers to get the Birnbaum book (newly released) at the 10% discount.

Please be sure to consider No. 3 in my points above: the program should be only a part of many promotional programs.

The discounts and other promotions do not ALONE inspire loyalty, but they do encourage it, simply by "being a part of the club."

The earliest Mickey Mouse Clubs (yes, plural) should have taught the company that!!

Membership has its previleges!

Bagheera

Originally posted by cymbaldiva
I hear and understand what you're saying...

However I have to say the same thing to this that I said when I learned that ressies for Cindy's required a credit card deposit - Guess it just sux for those of us who do not use credit cards!

No Cindy's ressies, no discounts...what's a girl to do? :confused:

CymbalDiva, I believe that they do allow folks without credit cards to make reservations, and then you have 7 days to get a check there. Give them a call and check. I think you may be pleasantly surprised. (And say "hi" to Cindy for me if you get in!) :animwink:

DanStat

Here's my e-mail to the Disney Club:

Hello.

I just wanted to send this e-mail to express my concern over the cancellation of the Disney Club. I fell that this decision is a very poor move on the part of the Disney Corporation. Many of YOUR LOYAL FANS, people who bring money into your parks and stores, are very upset about this decision. What is left for loyal customers? No perks at all! I feel that Disney is more motivated by money now a days, than in the past. Do you not think that Walt Disney would roll over in his grave if he knew what was going on?! There seems to be nothing left for the customers. I know one family who could not afford a Disney Vacation, but through their jobs, they obtained a Disney Club membership, and then could afford the trip to the Walt Disney World Resort.

I strongly urge you to come up with a replacement plan for the Disney Club. The point of the club is to bring people "Closer to the Magic". Where is my $39.99 worth of MAGIC?!

Thank you for reading.

Upset at budget cuts,

Daniel -- ------ºoº

pheneix

The "Visa/Disney Rewards" have got to be one of the biggest crocks of sh*t I have seen in a long while (and from Disney that says a lot). I mean, how many people are going to feel inclined to spend MORE money for perks that were previously offered for a low flat rate?

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I posted something about the Disney Club ending on another post. I had a customer who just renewed her card and went on the DCsite and was shocked to see that not many discounts were being offered. When she e-mailed them, she was told to call Guest Realtions. (after the CM who sent the e-mail wouldn't answer any of her questions) She contacted Guest Relations and without actually coming out and telling her they were fazing it out, they confirmed it. She wanted her money back for the renewal and the CM pretty much told her too bad.

Pam

celticdog

i agree with you disneyprep50321. i also took your advice and sent an e-mail to the Disney Club expressing my disappiontment and displeasure. :cry: The whole point for belonging was to get great discounts on resort rooms. I also would use it at the Disney Stores for birthday and Christmas presents.

I hope Disney is aware that this will curtail my vacationing and shopping habits.

What will happen to the Disney magazine?

MKCustodial

Originally posted by Dawnie
So this new Visa card. Presumably it will be drawn on a US bank. Not much use to me then. At least with the DC card I got the magazine and 10% off at the UK Disney stores. Now I just get a kick in the teeth. :hammer:

My thoughts exactly. And we don't have Brazilian Disney Stores, but I'm sure many Brazilians who have somewhat frequent vacations in WDW have joined the club. If the Visa card is US only, where do they stand? Personally, I'd be interested in a Disney credit card since I'm always using mine for gas and Internet shopping, but I don't care for Visa, I use Mastercard.

And Celticdog is asking about Disney Magazine, why would the magazine have anything to do with the Club closing? Club members had the subscription, but there are subscribers who weren't Club members.

Lord Alfred

Personally, this doesn't bother me in the slightest. The only time we ever used the card was to buy tix at the Disney Store and book rooms. There's nothing at the Disney Store I want that I can't buy elsewhere cheaper even with the discount. We always forgot to whip out our card while dining or purchasing things on property, although we buy very few souvenirs. Since we go in the off-season and usually take advantage of special deals anyway...I just don't see that we're missing all that much. Our family, I mean. I'm sure some of you folks used the discount at the Store all the time..

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Having made a booking for next summer using the Club card I wonder where this leaves me? Especially as my card expires in Feb.

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by inlovewithWDW
This is an interesting note...

When I made my last ressie in Aug '02, via the Disney Club 1-800 phone number, the CM on the phone must have spent 10+ minutes verifiying my family's information. Items like our kids names & ages, our home address & phone number, he even asked things like "what do you like to do while on vacation." Such as golf, shopping & dining, and it seemed like he was checking off boxes as I answered the questions.

Now why would they go into such detail if they knew they were closing shop in a year? :confused:

Just wondering.... :veryconfu

We have since joined DVC and still get some of the bene's that the DC offered (10% off shopping.)

Welcome to DESTINATION DISNEY!

This has been a largely unpublicized information techology initiative at Disney to utilize computer software and hardware among to personalize your vacation as much as possible. Of course to do this, they need to to get the most information about their guests as possible.

This information will then be utilized for all sorts of nifty things including knowing when it is your birthday, anniversary, etc. This will happen not just at Restaurants but at hotels, retail shops turnstiles etc. Any place you use a ticket, room card or a reservation. The cast members will instantly receive information stored in your file so they can meet your needs as well as provide that extra bit of magic like calling you by name with no introduction necessary.

This isn't necesarily a new thing. Disney has been collecting information about guests who stayed on property for a number of years I imagine. The new part is the serious upgrades to the Disney World communication and information technology infrastructure to make this information as widely available on property to cast members as possible.

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by prberk

I'm sorry, but I do not know which business school you went to.

Several things are wrong about your blanket statement:

1. 500,000 members times $40 each = $20,000,000 easy money. This more than covers the cost of flyers and administration. These flyers and administration are essentially ads that would have to be made anyway in some form: only in this case you have a complete mailing list of die-hard fans that are not only reliable, but PAY to be on the list. Most businesses in the entertainment or resort business actually spend that kind of money just to find mailing lists.

2. The discounts are more than taken care of by the frequent use by these loyal customers. Most business schools teach, correctly, that the most valuable customer is the repeat customer: because they have already proven that they are interested. Discounts and flyers sent to them remind them and bring them back much more often than the same money spent on mass marketing.

3. The pre-existence of the Disney Club (or its predecessor, the Magic Kingdom Club) does NOT prevent the company from starting the Visa promotion, or any other promotion. Many promotions are run concurrently. Once again, here it is the PRODUCT that is key. If Disney has a superior product, Visa will want to be involved, even without exclusivity. Because otherwise, Disney might give the preference to MasterCard, or American Express (as they have up until now, with "White Glove Treatment" for AmEx cardholders). Don't forget that there are always the AAA discounts that run concurrently, too.

So, sorry niteobsrvr, if I seem rude in my response to you, but your assumption about "business" is just not right.

Business, and especially advertising, is more than just a simple formula. Loyalty is priceless. Loss of loyalty is an even greater price still.

OKay, yep you were rude. but thats ok, I forgive.

You Dont need to go to business school to understand my point.

Item#1
In a company like Disney that measures revenue in billions, $20 Million is not considered substantial and thats revenue not profit. After Administrative costs and the cost of the priveledges themselves I am sure we are talking just a couple of million in profit if anything at all. Now in a company like Disney a couple million is basically the same thing as a couple of dollars to us. If you lose it you typically don't go searching for it.

Again my point is that 500,000 people using a perk does not justify it. When you are as big as Disney you neeed programs that spread your brand to as many people as possible. Given the approximately 30,000,000 people who visit Disney World every year, 500,000 members is not a successful program. I would measure a successful program as one utilized by at least 10 to 15 percent of your clientel at a minimum.

Knowing that Disney does a tremendous amount of research before they do anything, I am sure they heard that people would be much more interested in a Disney branded credit card that cost them nothing vs. a $40 annual fee for a club membership.

Not to mention Disney or not, many people right now do not part with their money as easily as they did a couple of years ago due to the economy etc. This is fact has been in the news a lot recently. Many people probably fail to see the value of a isney discount card, when they can get just as good if not better deals just by calling the reservation number.

Item #2

Better than 80% of the people who walk through Disney's gates every year are repeat customers. That means approximately 24 million people every year. So why aren't there at least 2 to 3 million people taking advantage of the Disney Club. The number 1 answer I would bet is that they don's see the value in it unless of course they could go to Disney every weekend which I bet 95% of the people who visit cant do that or don't even want to.

Also, the guests at Disney who feel "priviledged" are often the ones who abuse the hospitality they recieve. To remove this upper eschelon feeling, you have to remove the exclusivity. Paying 40 bucks for a club membership gives many the idea they have "rights". If you have a Visa, oh well, you have a Visa and no connotations of priviledge.

Item 3 and 3.5

Promoting a Brand is important as is developing loyalty. However, it doesnt work to target a niche when you want to promote a brand. It takes mass marketing. A disney branded Visa will see much more action than the Disney Club and a lot of the Marketing funds will come from VISA and the interest everyone pays. Disney has a knack for getting things done with someone else's money (Its a part of the company heritage).

CoraJack

Account Suspended
This is terrible news! I agree that it's bad business and it definately will curtail my traveling to the World and my spending. I used my card all the time at the Disney Store, Disney Catalog, World of Disney store, Resort hotels, and at various restaurants around the World!

I have saved thousands of dollars with my card!

I will not buy another annual pass because I will not be making several trips a year to Disney anymore because I simply will not be able to afford it!

Disney=:brick:

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by niteobsrvr

Knowing that Disney does a tremendous amount of research before they do anything, I am sure they heard that people would be much more interested in a Disney branded credit card that cost them nothing vs. a $40 annual fee for a club membership.

A disney branded Visa will see much more action than the Disney Club and a lot of the Marketing funds will come from VISA and the interest everyone pays. Disney has a knack for getting things done with someone else's money (Its a part of the company heritage).

Agreed... essentially what they are doing is just outsourcing... They will have less overhead (maybe... who knows)... And less of a headache...one less thing to manage and worry about.....so....They (Disney Co.) Drop the Disney Club... Toss everything into Bank One's lap and let them do the work for them with this new co-branded charge card.... it makes perfect business sense….but, it does kind of anger a loyal customer base…..but the benefits in the long run (in there eyes) far outweigh a few angry club members. :)

Talsonic

Account Suspended
Show me the contract!

I think the real question now is simple but will take some research to answer. While I am not a big Visa fan (basically a third rate charge card) I might get the new Disney version if the deal and discounts are good. Now, I just have until 12/12/2002 to do all the checks to make sure this is a good deal. I once held a Gold Visa card several years ago but got rid of it because MasterCard offered so many more perks and (of course) MasterCard is more widely accepted. Therefore, I have 2 months to check on all the terms and conditions. Also, Bank One is IMHO not a high quality banking institution in that they tend to "grab" onto other failed banks. They are the "vultures" of the banking industry. That doesn't make them bad or good, just suspect. Also, the news I have read about this deal has been very sparse. Disney folks don't even know the details except to say "it's great".

Mr. Toad

I am more than willing to wait and see what the program will be like. If it is good enough I might get the card and use it for any monthly expenses I can (as long as I can pay it off every month).

As for the Disney Club going away - I was upset when the MKC went away. I never even joined the DC. One of those things I kept meaning to do. I would have to say that I will not miss it (I do miss the magazine). If the Visa program is done right it could be better than the DC in the long run. I won't hold my breath as I usually find these type of cards don't work well with my spending habits.

MKCustodial

Originally posted by Mr. Toad
I would have to say that I will not miss it (I do miss the magazine).

Again the magazine. Does it say anywhere that the magazine is going away along with the Club or what? :confused:

Originally posted by niteobsrvr

OKay, yep you were rude. but thats ok, I forgive.

You Dont need to go to business school to understand my point.

Item#1
Now in a company like Disney a couple million is basically the same thing as a couple of dollars to us. If you lose it you typically don't go searching for it.

Again my point is that 500,000 people using a perk does not justify it. When you are as big as Disney you neeed programs that spread your brand to as many people as possible. Given the approximately 30,000,000 people who visit Disney World every year, 500,000 members is not a successful program.

Not to mention Disney or not, many people right now do not part with their money as easily as they did a couple of years ago due to the economy etc. This is fact has been in the news a lot recently. Many people probably fail to see the value of a isney discount card, when they can get just as good if not better deals just by calling the reservation number.

Item #2

Better than 80% of the people who walk through Disney's gates every year are repeat customers. That means approximately 24 million people every year.

Also, the guests at Disney who feel "priviledged" are often the ones who abuse the hospitality they recieve. To remove this upper eschelon feeling, you have to remove the exclusivity. Paying 40 bucks for a club membership gives many the idea they have "rights".

Item 3 and 3.5

Promoting a Brand is important as is developing loyalty. However, it doesnt work to target a niche when you want to promote a brand. It takes mass marketing. A disney branded Visa will see much more action than the Disney Club and a lot of the Marketing funds will come from VISA and the interest everyone pays. Disney has a knack for getting things done with someone else's money (Its a part of the company heritage).

You could not be more wrong in this entire situation! You are flat out incorrect in everything that you say here. In addition I am really tired of hearing things change, things change, times change, times change in regards to Disney's actions in recent years. Well it si true to one extent, the benefits, perks, and magic of Disney has changed and this reflection of brilliant change has occurred and will continue to occur in its bottom line! Things have changed indeed... Disney revenue has dropped percipitously in the past few years, Disney's profits have changed in the past few years, Disney's film sales have changed in the past few years, Disney's stock prices have changed in the past few years, Disney stores sales have dropped drastically in the past few years. Yeah these changes sure are doing great things for Disney like I don't know what fewer customers and fans or perhaps greater risk of a takeover?

As to the fact that 20 million dollars does not create enough of a profit, oh wise and brilliant business leader, you forget the HUNDREDS of millions of dollars that are spent by these most loyal fans AND HENCE CUSTOMERS at the theme parks, in Disney stores, etc. while using the Disney Club discount. Therefore, the cost of membership paid for all of the administration costs + a profit and then resulted in Hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue! I hope, oh economics genius, that you have not forgotten about these numbers?

As to the 80% or 24,000,000 repeat visitors number, you forget that if the 500,000 Disney Club members went to the parks only 10 times each that would account for 5,000,000 of that 24,000,000 figure not that insignificant once you look at it properly! These are desperately needed fans and CUSTOMERS, especially under this economy, when the Smiths who may have decided to visit this year for the first time decide not to spend the money and not go while the loyal fans and CUSTOMERS will always still continue to go until the Disney company loses its magic...which it is well on the path to doing so if it continues with these brilliant business enhancements. The cheaper and cheaper that Disney becomes, the closer and closer death approaches!
:brick: :cry: :brick:

By the way its Disney's niche customers that make and keep Disney unique!

niteobsrvr

Last me address your last point first.

Its not Disney's niche customers who keep Disney alive. Its Disney's niche in the theme park entertainment business that keeps it alive. 500,000 people visiting 3 or 4 times a season wont even keep the smaller regional theme parks in the black. If you don't beleive me do a search on the net for Closed Amusement Parks. There are more that have closed than remained open.

The second thing I would like to address and hopefully everyone will understand is that $20 million dollars is not PROFIT. It is REVENUE. Just by the fact that the club exists means there are administrative costs, promotional fees, magazine fees etc. Then there is the fact that you have to account for the perks received by the members in some way on the books even if they never use them. Now for those folks who have never experienced corporate operations, you would not beleive how quickly these costs add up and often times how far out of line they can get vs. what you or I would pay on the street. (If you don't believe me, start looking at business travel and the airfare rates business traverlers pay vs what you or I would pay for the same flight). This affects the bottom line for the program which is the Profit. You have to look at the program as a whole not break it down into parts.

Another interesting fact, Disney has the best Brand recognition worldwide of almost any corporation out there. Do they need to work on promoting a brand, sure, but right now their problem isn't the 500,000 people who have DC memberships. Its the billions of people out there who have never been to Disney or are marginal in their decsion to visit because of the economy etc. Thats why they have embarked on additional parks around the world. If you cant bring the people here to the US, then you take the brand to them. And interestingly enough, these parks cost Disney next to nothing.

Finallly....

CHANGE is a fact of life. Everday things change and things must continue to change. People change, governments change and business's change. To add some cliche, Change is constant and inevitable. One of the biggest problems facing America today and American business is how to change to meet the demands of an economy no longer based on manufacturing or the technology bubble of the late 90's

Disney learned a good lesson in the late seventies and early eighties when they almost lost the company to leveraged buyouts. The brand had grown stale and people were losing interest. Whether you like Michael Eisner or not, he brought change to the company so that we still have Disney today for everyone to enjoy.

If the company stops changing today just to make a few people happy we will be back to where we were in 1984. The stock prices is so low that mounting an overthrow of the companies board and ownership is not far fetched.

This will be my last post on this subject which will probably make some of you very happy. None of us here, has in our possesion the actual market research that assists Disney in making decisions. I am only speculating based on my experience with the company and my 15 years of Marketing experience in corporate America. If any one has anything to add to my points I would love to see them.

And , if you are going to attack someone publicly please come to the forum prepared to back up your reasoning with logic and not emotion.

Maybe if some of the folks on this board who constantly complain when Disney changes something would put forth their effort to promote the "old way" of doing things, then Disney would have to sit down and listen. However, 500,000 people is not a majority when attendance is 30 million.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom