News Disney CEO Bob Chapek suggests price hikes are coming to the parks thanks to guest demand

LittleBuford

There are many places to visit that are relatively better value than Disney.

How does Disney get away with what many see as excessive price increases?

It may simply be that enough of their fanbase is sufficiently devoted that they will always come, no matter what.
In my case, it’s because what I want out of my time at Disney—a specifically Disney experience—can’t be obtained in any of the competing theme parks. If Universal cost only half as much, it wouldn’t be a good value for me, because I’m simply not interested in the product.

Br0ckford

Premium Member
Did you try it for Early Entry? I’d think the line would move fast that early but haven’t tried it yet.
Yes for both HS and Epcot. We stayed at POP. The line gets long but moves quickly once it starts running. We typically got to the line around 6:30-6:45 as it started running at 7. This was this past June. But once it started maybe like 15 minutes to get in a gondola.

JMcMahonEsq

I don't understand this kind of people because I am not willing to pay this huge amount the money for the same. This kind of people have a real problem with regards to consuming.
Yeah but what you fail to understand is no one cares what you are willing to pay. People make decisions based on their budget and their perceived worth of the product. People who have a different budget and view on value then you don’t have a problem with consuming.

Sir_Cliff

In my case, it’s because what I want out of my time at Disney—a specifically Disney experience—can’t be obtained in any of the competing theme parks. If Universal cost only half as much, it wouldn’t be a good value for me, because I’m simply not interested in the product.
Must admit I'm much the same and I'm always interested in how transferrable Disney's market really is to Universal.

For me personally, when I don't personally see the value or feel the urge to go to WDW, I just go somewhere entirely different rather than a competing theme park resort. This summer I just spent two weeks in Guatemala, for example, which is a very different vacation!

I will be honest and say that I scratch my head a little at people holding up Universal Orlando and Epic Universe as an alternative to issues at Disney other than cost and hassle. They seem to do a lot of things like relatively unthemed coasters and exclusively IP-based lands and attractions that I thought were the source of a lot of complaints about Disney today. It doesn't help that none of Universal's big IPs really interest me all that much. Out of everything at Epic Universe, the only thing that kind of captures my imagination is the Universal Monsters land as it's the closest to a land based on a general idea that has worked its way into the popular consciousness as Disney 'lands' traditionally were rather than simply being based off a particular film or franchise (even if it technically is!). I'm also not sure Universal still really has the charm Disney manages to pull off at its best moments, and their marketing suggests they don't want to.

I could see, though, that there is particularly a family vacation market that just wants to go stay in a hotel somewhere with good weather and have activities to keep the family busy for a week or so that might be easier to switch from Disney to Universal if costs and the hassle of planning a vacation becomes so out of whack for Disney.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

Indeed. That was one uncharge that actually seemed quite reasonable and almost a perk for staying at the resorts as it was only available to resort guests.
It would be unfathomable to anyone who didn't experience E nights, that it was something Disney offered. It was $15 to stay until 2am and ride all the major attractions in the magic kingdom. We got to ride splash 6 times in a row without getting out of the log. Today's Disney would triple your ticket price for that perk.

Sir_Cliff

It would be unfathomable to anyone who didn't experience E nights, that it was something Disney offered. It was $15 to stay until 2am and ride all the major attractions in the magic kingdom. We got to ride splash 6 times in a row without getting out of the log. Today's Disney would triple your ticket price for that perk.
Such happy memories of multiple rides on Splash and Big Thunder and wandering around an almost empty Magic Kingdom at 2am!

As you say, it's hard to imagine anything like that today that wasn't accompanied by the sting of massive upcharge that had you questioning your life choices. It was one of those things that helped you talk yourself into the idea that staying at a Disney resort really was worth the extra cost.

fgmnt

I'm sure they can figure it out.

If it works, it works.

Again, I'm sure they can figure something out.
It's not really a defense of the practice, just recognizing the challenge that would come with the change.
It's noon on a Saturday during summer vacation.

Space Mountain has a 45 minute wait.
Buzz has a 30 minute wait.
Dumbo and Barnstormer have 15 minute waits.
Mermaid has a 15 minute wait.
Small World has a 15 minute wait.
Mansion has a 25 minute wait.
Big Thunder has a 40 minute wait.
Spaceship Earth has a 10 minute wait.
Nemo has a 10 minute wait.
Rat has a 45 minute wait.
Living with the Land has a 15 minute wait.

Methinks the "capacity crisis" is a tad overstated.
I don't think there is often discussion of a capacity crisis at either of these two parks, it's often the other two.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
It's not really a defense of the practice, just recognizing the challenge that would come with the change.

I don't think there is often discussion of a capacity crisis at either of these two parks, it's often the other two.
And after just being stuck on everest for 20 minutes and then rushing to the 2:30 Nemo show only to find out the remaining shows were just cancelled for the day... I'm done. Going back to the hotel. this place.

GimpYancIent

Was talking to my brother on the phone the other day and some how we got on the subject of Disney his immediate response was" "I'm done with Disney it's too expensive and other reasons I won't elaborate. M exact sentiments, I wonder how many people not on this forum have similar views.
A lot. The product quality has deteriorated, the quality of the experience has deteriorated and prices, fees plus charges have increased of new ones created. Simple small things like Mouse Keeping are nowhere near what they were yet multiply all the small things and there is a big negative impact to the experience. Negative experiences, not so magical memories and post trip debt are creating more and more no repeat trips to Disney vacationers, travelers and park goers. There are way too many park venues out there that offer more.

Disstevefan1

It's necessary to increase prices because people are willing to pay them.

If you have an army of people willing to pay $10 for your apples, it would be malpractice to sell them for $2.
As a little kid I remember complaining about the prices for a ticket to a baseball game and how they keep going up and up. And the answer was the same, because folks are willing to pay.

And the prices for food at the ball game, forgetaboutit!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom