News Disney CEO Bob Chapek suggests price hikes are coming to the parks thanks to guest demand

UNCgolf

It's noon on a Saturday during summer vacation.

Space Mountain has a 45 minute wait.
Buzz has a 30 minute wait.
Dumbo and Barnstormer have 15 minute waits.
Mermaid has a 15 minute wait.
Small World has a 15 minute wait.
Mansion has a 25 minute wait.
Big Thunder has a 40 minute wait.
Spaceship Earth has a 10 minute wait.
Nemo has a 10 minute wait.
Rat has a 45 minute wait.
Living with the Land has a 15 minute wait.

Methinks the "capacity crisis" is a tad overstated.

This isn't summer vacation anymore, at least not for some of the country. Everyone I know with kids are already back in school.

EDIT: I take that back; people I know in California and NC aren't back yet (although California starts Monday). Georgia, Florida, and Alabama are, though.

Sir_Cliff

Eating breakfast somewhere is a better use of time for me. Or sleeping at that time of day.

But there are also numerous attractions I don't care about. It's obviously harder if you feel like you need to get on every ride every day.
Precisely. The fact that being able to get up at 6am to go and stand in an hour and a half line at 7:30am is being sold as a "perk" is one of the reasons a WDW "vacation" isn't all that appealing to me right now.

That said, I just wouldn't do it and if I missed a major attraction for that reason so be it. I'd rather sleep in and enjoy my life before going back to work. Ah, I miss those E-Ride nights!

Smiley/OCD

This isn't summer vacation anymore, at least not for some of the country. Everyone I know with kids are already back in school.

EDIT: I take that back; people I know in California and NC aren't back yet (although California starts Monday). Georgia, Florida, and Alabama are, though.
Kids don’t go back in Jersey until Labor Day

UNCgolf

Precisely. The fact that being able to get up at 6am to go and stand in an hour and a half line at 7:30am is being sold as a "perk" is one of the reasons a WDW "vacation" isn't all that appealing to me right now.

That said, I just wouldn't do it and if I missed a major attraction for that reason so be it. I'd rather sleep in and enjoy my life before going back to work. Ah, I miss those E-Ride nights!

Yeah, I would much rather be in a park at 11 PM than at 7-8 AM. The last time we were at WDW we were often at Disney Springs eating something at 9:30 after the parks closed.

I think the only time I've been at a WDW park before 9-9:30 AM (at least as an adult) was for a breakfast reservation.

It's necessary to increase prices because people are willing to pay them.

If you have an army of people willing to pay $10 for your apples, it would be malpractice to sell them for $2.
I don't understand this kind of people because I am not willing to pay this huge amount the money for the same. This kind of people have a real problem with regards to consuming.

Sir_Cliff

Yeah, I would much rather be in a park at 11 PM than at 7-8 AM.

I think the only time I've been at a WDW park before 9-9:30 AM (at least as an adult) was for a breakfast reservation.
I'm 100% with you there!

Also happy to hear I'm not the only one who feels like this. I often get the sense many people on here see not wanting to jump out of bed every day at the crack of dawn while on vacation to start running from attraction to attraction as some kind of character flaw.

Late nights at the parks, on the other hand, have always been a dream for me.

Br0ckford

Premium Member
Yeah, I would much rather be in a park at 11 PM than at 7-8 AM. The last time we were at WDW we were often at Disney Springs eating something at 9:30 after the parks closed.

I think like Cap said, it depends on your sleeping habits. We, I say we but wife would disagree, are early people. We are up at 6am, again wife reluctantly, and there for rope drop. If I'm not in bed by 10pm I turn into a pumpkin.

Smiley/OCD

I'm 100% with you there!

Also happy to hear I'm not the only one who feels like this. I often get the sense many people on here see not wanting to jump out of bed every day at the crack of dawn while on vacation to start running from attraction to attraction as some kind of character flaw.

Late nights at the parks, on the other hand, have always been a dream for me.
I’m with you!! If I had the choice, I’d much rather stay late than go in early…man I miss those 2am closings… ☹️

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It's noon on a Saturday during summer vacation.

Space Mountain has a 45 minute wait.
Buzz has a 30 minute wait.
Dumbo and Barnstormer have 15 minute waits.
Mermaid has a 15 minute wait.
Small World has a 15 minute wait.
Mansion has a 25 minute wait.
Big Thunder has a 40 minute wait.
Spaceship Earth has a 10 minute wait.
Nemo has a 10 minute wait.
Rat has a 45 minute wait.
Living with the Land has a 15 minute wait.

Methinks the "capacity crisis" is a tad overstated.
Many schools are already back in session in the South. We’re already in the “kind-of-slow” fall season for the parks.

Wendy Pleakley

There are many places to visit that are relatively better value than Disney.

How does Disney get away with what many see as excessive price increases?

It may simply be that enough of their fanbase is sufficiently devoted that they will always come, no matter what.

I mean, how many people own the timeshare that is just for Disney? That's a lot of people who have committed to going to WDW every one or two years. Many people would consider that to be an odd choice, but as we all know Disney just has a certain draw to it.

Personally, my last trip shifted from all Disney with side trips outside the bubble, to a split stay with Universal. Universal was great, and more relaxing to be honest.

I was able to walk to their amazing waterpark. It still had the resort feel WDW has, but less hassle. No need to spend an hour travelling to Disney Springs when the parks close, it's all right there. It's compact enough that going to a different hotel for dinner isn't a logistical nightmare of multiple bus transfers and hour+ trips.

I appreciate the scope of WDW to be fair, but sometimes it just lacks a certain efficiency.

I can see myself doing a full stay at Universal in the future, and just going over to WDW via Uber or whatever for four days. Especially now that Magic Express and Evening Magic Hours are gone or limited, there isn't the same incentive to stay on property.

I do want to stay at a Skyliner resort at least once though. And the Boardwalk area. There's still some WDW onsite experiences on the bucket list.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Not sure we’d rope drop all the parks for Early Entry if we needed to be first on bus stop or deal with guessing how long parking may take. How has Skyliner been? Might be much better than bus or parking.

Our plan is to walk to Early Entry (except AK) by doing Boardwalk/Contemporary split stay. We move on Tues so we’ll be able to walk home from MK/EP EEHs. If HS starts at 8:30a, we’ll leave our room about 7:50a. No need to get up too early and easier to take midday break. I’m still trying to figure out which ride to do first at each park. We’ve already made mistakes of hitting SDD for morning EMH and it not being open, and 7DMT turning out to be 75 minutes, lol. Think it’ll be RotR, Remy, Splash or BTM but will check what’s going before our trip.

Br0ckford

Premium Member
Not sure we’d rope drop all the parks for Early Entry if we needed to be first on bus stop or deal with guessing how long parking may take. How has Skyliner been? Might be much better than bus or parking.

Our plan is to walk to Early Entry (except AK) by doing Boardwalk/Contemporary split stay. We move on Tues so we’ll be able to walk home from MK/EP EEHs. If HS starts at 8:30a, we’ll leave our room about 7:50a. No need to get up too early and easier to take midday break. I’m still trying to figure out which ride to do first at each park. We’ve already made mistakes of hitting SDD for morning EMH and it not being open, and 7DMT turning out to be 75 minutes, lol. Think it’ll be RotR, Remy, Splash or BTM but will check what’s going before our trip.
I wish the skyliner was for every park. We loved it. Bad weather is the only issue.

But some will pay it. I admit I am a bad consumer.
I am a bad consumer too. However, I don't like to be cheated. And, as I said before, if I want to visit Disney, I prefer going to Hong Kong or Tokio and pay "normal" prices. I will have the opportunity to see Disney and enjoy a new city
There are many places to visit that are relatively better value than Disney.

How does Disney get away with what many see as excessive price increases?

It may simply be that enough of their fanbase is sufficiently devoted that they will always come, no matter what.

I mean, how many people own the timeshare that is just for Disney? That's a lot of people who have committed to going to WDW every one or two years. Many people would consider that to be an odd choice, but as we all know Disney just has a certain draw to it.

Personally, my last trip shifted from all Disney with side trips outside the bubble, to a split stay with Universal. Universal was great, and more relaxing to be honest.

I was able to walk to their amazing waterpark. It still had the resort feel WDW has, but less hassle. No need to spend an hour travelling to Disney Springs when the parks close, it's all right there. It's compact enough that going to a different hotel for dinner isn't a logistical nightmare of multiple bus transfers and hour+ trips.

I appreciate the scope of WDW to be fair, but sometimes it just lacks a certain efficiency.

I can see myself doing a full stay at Universal in the future, and just going over to WDW via Uber or whatever for four days. Especially now that Magic Express and Evening Magic Hours are gone or limited, there isn't the same incentive to stay on property.

I do want to stay at a Skyliner resort at least once though. And the Boardwalk area. There's still some WDW onsite experiences on the bucket list.
I take your point. My last trip was in 2019 and I spent a long time to go to another hotels or Disney Spring to have dinner.

I think they are increasing prices a lot but they are not offering good quality. No only is the crowd, but also the lack of facilities.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom