News Disney CEO Bob Chapek reiterates his belief that park reservations are now an essential part of Disney's theme parks business

hopemax

I might be the only type that would use Brightline. My Dad doesn't really like driving to the airport to come get me and would probably prefer to popover to Disney Springs area. But it also might be that he would meet me at Epic Universe, and I'd start vacation there and then me and my luggage would drive to his house after the Universal bits.

Vegas Disney Fan

I wonder how this is going to work.
You get off the plane, go over to the carousel to get your luggage drag it to the train (I guess) drag it to your seat?
The train drops you off somewhere around Disney Springs?
Then what? how do you and your luggage get to your resort? You use a ride service to get from the train station to your resort?
That’s exactly what we do every time we go to DL Paris, it’s faster and no more difficult than hauling luggage to a cab/Uber/bus.

Just get your bags at the carousel, walk to the train station in the airport, toss your bags in the luggage section by the door of the car, relax on the train for 15 minutes, grab your bags on the way out, then toss them on one of the the resort buses waiting at the train station, (or do what we usually do and just pull them through DTD so we can look at everything), or It sounds like a hassle but it’s really very convenient and simple.

UNCgolf

There will still be a station In that area, just not on Disney property unless things change again.

Not being on Disney property means essentially no one will ever use it to get to Disney from the airport, though, which is all that really matters in this conversation.

While taking it to Disney Springs would have been a bit of a hassle and likely used sparingly considering the numerous other options that would take someone straight to their hotel, it still potentially offered a benefit for some small portion of guests -- especially if Disney let people use the Disney Springs resort buses to get from the station to their hotel.

Off property, people will just have to get an Uber/Lyft from the train station, and if they have to do that, why not just get it directly from the airport and save the extra step? There's no way Disney does anything to get people on property from an off-site train station; they'd have just kept Magical Express (or at least some version of it) if they had any interest in that.

Last edited:

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Disney wasn't in a low prices mode. They still were the market leader in high prices and charging obsurd markups over their normal peers. They were in a conversion mode of trying to convince people to be frequent visitors in a quest to increase revenues by 'filling in the low spots' and encouraging frequent visits. They did this with all their endless events and big push for DVC and APs. The entire time they were raising prices aggressively year over year. But the key point is they were finding their growth through price increases and trying to fill in low spots.

Note, they weren't growing their actual ability to drive future volume, but rather trying to drive growth by increasing utilization of what they had. And in other areas they sold their futures to get money now (hotels to DVC).

So after 10 plus years of driving to eliminate their low spots... they end up blocking themselves from utilizing low periods for upkeep and they struggle to keep up with the necessary upkeep.. either through lack of time or lack of increasing investment to match the increased use. We get the Monorail fiascos, Splash Mountain falling apart, etc.

So instead of a business ready for steady continued growth - now you have a business with a product that resists actual volume increases. Management has painted themselves into the corner that now the only way to sustain revenue growth is with continued monetization, price increases, and cutting expenses. The ability to actually organic growth is hindered by time and a mentality to squeeze every last drop out of the existing before actually growing. They don't have an elastic business - they have a business that if they don't keep raising prices, they look like they are failing.

It's a management mindset to resist increasing overhead while there is any area they could possibly drive growth without increasing costs. You can spin all you want about trying to paint critics as morons who don't understand what Disney really wants... but you can't actually retort the real observations of the company's strategy.

They can't grow because of cutbacks and operations
They can't efficiently renovate under utilized facilities, so instead they push customers to them with 'its the only thing open' incentives
They can't efficiently grow the product because their bloated budgets and timelines
They are creatively bankrupt in many areas
They've got little room left to 'fill in the gaps'

So what does that leave them with? Keep cutting and keep raising prices.

It's not customer surveys driving this behavior - it's the aggressive leadership strategy of believing the best PnL strategy is your success rather than a runaway product. They are trying to find every last nickle in the couch rather than trying to create things people will happily pay more for.
#micdrop

itsy bitsy spider

They can’t even get rides open in time for parks that already exist, could you imagine what would happen if they took up a new park. Disney has shown in recent years that they simply can’t build as fast as Universal.

It would take 10 years for them to build a park and after finally opening all of the rides would continually breakdown.

Castmember on a megaphone - "MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION? All of the rides aren't working.... but we have t-shirts for 60 bucks in the gift shops."

TrainsOfDisney

Can any regulars tell me, is this past week normal? Or is it slow? If this is “normal” I may need to eat some of my words and admit the crowds are very manageable.

Poseidon Quest

Can any regulars tell me, is this past week normal? Or is it slow? If this is “normal” I may need to eat some of my words and admit the crowds are very manageable.

I went to Hollywood Studios and was quite shocked at how slow it was. Tower of Terror was posted at a 40 minute wait, but I walked right into the pre-shows. I boarded Star Tours almost immediately (posted at a 15) and waited around 15 mins for Alien Swirling Saucers (posted at a 35). I didn't go through the Rise queue but it wasn't even outside when I walked by. Of course, this was a night where cast preview for Fantasmic was occurring, so I have to wonder if they took up reservations that actual guests might have otherwise had.

Kingoglow

And transporting luggage yourself isn’t always easy depending on your family situation which may involve more bags, strollers, family members that can’t carry their own stuff, etc. and that’s a lot of the crowd going to WDW
People manage. Families (larger than yours) have be able to do it for decades.

doctornick

People manage. Families (larger than yours) have be able to do it for decades.

Of course people can manage if desired. But the point is that the train would not be the most sensible option for the vast majority of people flying to Orlando and travelling to WDW. Nobody is saying that zero people would ever take or want to use Brightline, but that a variety of other options (Mears, taxi, Uber/Lyft, private van, etc) would be easier, more convenient or even potentially cheaper for a number of guests going to WDW.

People for some reason keep bringing up the future train development as somehow a viable replacement for Magic Express and it's really not, not even just a little bit.

Last edited:

JMcMahonEsq

And transporting luggage yourself isn’t always easy depending on your family situation which may involve more bags, strollers, family members that can’t carry their own stuff, etc. and that’s a lot of the crowd going to WDW
Other than some cruise lines (and I will admit its been a while since I was on a cruise) how many vacations are set up where you are not dealing with your own luggage?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom