News Disney CEO Bob Chapek reiterates his belief that park reservations are now an essential part of Disney's theme parks business

el_super

Since the Disney CM’s weren’t working behind security I don’t think there would be any additional background checks needed. Whatever the raised rent was, Mears is still paying for it so it couldn’t be all the much.

But Mears isn't handling the baggage correct? Who was the team responsible for taking the bags from the normal 'plane to carrousel' process and staging them for distribution to the individual busses? Since a lot of that baggage movement was occurring behind security, I assumed it was airport employees moving the bags around and MCO was charging Disney for the service. Or charging Mears and Mears was charging Disney.

On the flip side, there were people stationed at each resort to handle baggage check-in and boarding questions and I'm also not remembering if those were Disney CMs or contractors from the airport.

lazyboy97o

It's still a good point to be made though. DME was a unique product and by extension that means it was a complex and costly solution. I don't know much on the contractual side, but I assume that Disney was paying to either house their own employees at the airport, or paying the airport directly for the baggage and check in services. I'm sure that airport security/background checks and safety training was probably also at a premium. MCO was already facing lots of criticism over their security setup and delays, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if MCO was raising the rents/costs to Disney/Mears and contract negotiations just failed. It happens.
So you don’t even know how the baggage was actually handled but you know people are wrong?

Dan Deesnee

There's not a direct relationship between park capacity and the number of park reservations. Disney manipulates the number of reservations to ensure the right number of guests in each park. So even if the MK is below capacity, if the AK demand is too low relative to the labor they're paying for, they'll shut off MK reservations to encourage guests to go to AK (and the other parks).

How do I know this? A conversation with someone in Disney's Yield Management team about how their data scientists have rotating pager coverage one weekend a month. I was like "What kind of data emergency would there be for a statistician to be on call on a weekend?" He said that if park caps needed adjusting and re-modeling the financials at the last minute, someone was on call to do it.

This system is not sustainable and they will eventually abandon this reservation system. The logistics of this, the servers, technicians, support, etc. will quickly become more cost and burden than it's worth once the labor shortage issue is resolved.

I give it 2-3 years and the reservation system will be a thing of the past.

Jrb1979

This system is not sustainable and they will eventually abandon this reservation system. The logistics of this, the servers, technicians, support, etc. will quickly become more cost and burden than it's worth once the labor shortage issue is resolved.

I give it 2-3 years and the reservation system will be a thing of the past.
I don't think it totally will be gone. Maybe for resort guests it will end but I see it staying for AP holders.

el_super

Thanks. Some googling still hasn't really yielded any real results on how things worked between Disney/Mears and Bags Inc.

Since it looks like they got bought out in 2018, and it also seems that Disney discontinued the baggage handling services prior to making the announcement that DME was being terminated, it still seems to me that there was a greater contract dispute between these entities that could not be resolved. Considering that the Bags Inc workers went on strike about a year later, it seems that something wasn't entirely working with their setup at MCO.

el_super

It’s unique and complicated to move some suitcases?

Comparing the service of DME to the simplicity of contracting Mears for a ride (someone above said it was only $37) to highlight how Disney is just being cheap, is not really presenting the whole picture.

Bags Inc is (according to their site) still in business, so perhaps someone can request a quote for the service from them from MCO to WDW and give us a clue on how much (in addition to the Mears fare) that would run the average family.

LSLS

Comparing the service of DME to the simplicity of contracting Mears for a ride (someone above said it was only $37) to highlight how Disney is just being cheap, is not really presenting the whole picture.

Bags Inc is (according to their site) still in business, so perhaps someone can request a quote for the service from them from MCO to WDW and give us a clue on how much (in addition to the Mears fare) that would run the average family.
Neither is saying it was simply a contract dispute, so they had to terminate their business without pointing out the price of this service is still baked into the cost of a room.

TrainsOfDisney

Mears currently charges $32 roundtrip. But Disney obviously had their own agreement with them. It doesn’t really matter how much Mears or Bags Inc. charged Disney, it was a service Disney provided to guests and a service that Disney could have continued to offer.

eliza61nyc

I remember not to long ago when Disney never offered a shuttle from the resort, why are people acting as if it was something Disney regularly offered??
Just curious when did DME begin??

flynnibus

Premium Member
I remember not to long ago when Disney never offered a shuttle from the resort, why are people acting as if it was something Disney regularly offered??

Because 15 years is certainly long enough to establish a precedent.

It was also pushed as part of the value of why you pay Disney premiums... along with other perks and services.

Now those perks and services are gone... but the premiums are still there and worse.

Disstevefan1

Just curious when did DME begin??
This is what folks will say when the resume charging for on site transportation like busses, boats, monorail, skyliner.

It's not a matter of if, its a matter of when...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom