News Disney CEO Bob Chapek reiterates his belief that park reservations are now an essential part of Disney's theme parks business

lazyboy97o

It is proposed by the builders or else you have evidence it won't be be stopping at WDW as planned.
I can’t disprove something that does not exist. There is no light rail project.

Brightline wanted a station at Disney and had previously announced one, but it is currently not happening.

LSLS

We have take our 3 year old to Cedar Point for vacation over Disney. Much cheaper and the whole family enjoys it. We take her to Myrtle Beach as well and have just as much fun.

I'm sorry to say this but it's not and should never be about what your kids want or enjoy. If the parent doesn't enjoy it then my kid doesn't go there. It feels now more then ever that parents care more about their kids enjoying the vacation then themselves

I've said it before, but our week long trip in Sandusky at Great Wolf (with trips to Cedar Point) is still our 3 year old's favorite thing ever. He does talk about missing Disney, but when I gave him the option for next year, he wants to Great Wolf and Cedar Point over Disney (especially if he can grow a few inches to ride the big rides).

GimpYancIent

It’s so sad to witness the potential downfall of Disney where we see Bob Cheapek try to monetize every square inch of the park while Universal pours money into their existing parks at the same time they are building a new park. I wonder how long it will be before we all start saying that Disney’s experiences should be more like Universal’s. Are you listening Bob? Build better emersion and stop building hotels and finding ways to charge people more!
Disney parks are not going away anytime soon just fading away to the point where they are indistinguishable from the rest of the multitude of amusement parks. Being pricey does not equate to better. For the board, BC and cronies it's about $$$$$$ and only $$$$$ seeing people (as in guests, tourists, public, visitors or any other term you may want to use) as resources for $$$$$$. It is clear and obvious unfortunately it will take a while for some folks to clear their heads after snorting too much Pixie Dust.

JMcMahonEsq

I noticed you left out cruises, which sirWalter mentioned. Obviously Royal Caribbean specifically is marketing 5-7 day vacations to families with kids.

Plenty of “regional areas” do exist of course, kinda depends on what your kids enjoy. The idea that Disney is the only place that can provide a certain level of happiness for children is just crazy.
It's not that there are other areas that can provide a certain level of happiness for children. Hell the monster golf place down the street provides a certain level of happiness for our kids on a cold winter day. But I wouldn't compare that to Disney. My kids happen to love fishing, so going out in the woods for 10 hours and fishing provides a great time for us....but again that's not Disney.

The point is finding a competing offering to Disney, is different than finding a trip that offers something different than WDW but that may still be fun. Our 11 year old spent a week at Cooperstown this summer and had an absolute blast. But it was no way even close to the same type of experience as a WDW trip.

Cruises I didn't mention, partially because while I have gone on a number of them, including as a kid, we haven't taken the kids on a cruise ourselves, and my last cruise was going back over 12 years ago, so my personal knowledge/experience there is lacking. However, I would again argue 4 parks worth of rides, vs. what even the mega ships RCCL offers is a pretty uneven comparison. Hell i know some of the large cruise ships even have a water slide....as compared to full water parks at WDW. Its slightly unfair to compare without any actual expiernec with it but again the options available on land at WDW seem to outweigh those on a boat, no matter how big it is.

JMcMahonEsq

Unless you think most if not all wealthy families with children are going to Disney theme parks every year or just not taking vacations, it's clear there are other options and most are already going to these.

I don't want to sound snobby or snarky, but there's more to life than theme parks, even for kids. Surely you enjoyed other kinds of vacations with your family when you were a child?

Disney is likely responsible for making theme parks as popular as they are by elevating the experience so much, but there's nothing to say that if people stop finding them enjoyable places to visit that theme parks can't also die off due to poor business decisions. I really don't get the notion Disney can get away with almost anything as though they held a monopoly on drinking water.
It doesn't have anything to do with wealthy. I don't think the CEO of BoA is making decisions about if he should go to WDW this summer, or go to the private island he owns. Like in politics there seems to be this belief that you have people making hundreds of millions of dollars every year, with their own yachts and private jets, and then you have everyone else living paycheck to paycheck. While not an inexpensive trip, WDW can be done for between 3-5K for a week. There is a thread buried somewhere here where an itemized discussion about this was had. Finding that amount of disposable income every year or two years to go on a vacation in my mind doesn't categorize someone as wealthy.

And I have never said that there aren't other kinds of vacations that you can enjoy as a family. All I am saying is that if you are looking to enjoy a vacation based upon what WDW offers, I don't see the comparison. If you like skiing, there are tons of mountain resorts available, east coast, out west, internationally. You can decide you want to go skiing, and then choose between a bunch of options. Or you might want to just lay on the beach, the amount of beach resorts available for you to choose is staggering.

But if you have young kids that want to see their favorite movie characters, or smaller kids that aren't ready or aren't tall enough for roller coasters, what is the alternative? There is a reason that WDW is pushing its own IP in the parks. Beside cross marketing, it gives WDW a competitive advantage a monopoly if you will (not in the legal Sherman Anti-Trust sense) that other offerings can't compete with. You can get a beach an hundreds of places...but there is only one place to meet Mickey and Mini. A roller coaster in Hershey Park is not all that different from a roller coaster at Six Flags...but there is only one place to ride and meet Anna and Elsa.

Andrew25

It’s so sad to witness the potential downfall of Disney where we see Bob Cheapek try to monetize every square inch of the park while Universal pours money into their existing parks at the same time they are building a new park. I wonder how long it will be before we all start saying that Disney’s experiences should be more like Universal’s. Are you listening Bob? Build better emersion and stop building hotels and finding ways to charge people more!

People are already saying that lol (Hagrid's, Bourne, etc.)

flynnibus

Premium Member
once the light rail train

princess-bride-you-keep-using-that-word.gif

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think ease is a big factor, we’ve been all over Europe, Hawaii, etc and as amazing as those trips are they are also stressful and require a ton of planning. We talk a lot about the planning aspect of Disney here but it’s still a relatively easy vacation to plan compared to most trips.
I also think you are comparing a bit of apples and oranges. If you are comparing a self-organized trip across multiple INDEPENDENT activities to a trip to a destination ran as a single unified entity. Yes, your comment makes sense to me. But it's also not a statement to justify WDW's complexity... it just means if you self-organize a trip over multiple places it takes effort. Compare WDW to other self-contained experiences like an all-inclusive resort, or a destination resort, etc which is more akin to a 1:1 and it stands out again.

If you want to travel elsewhere and have a unified experience, you can certainly travel as part of an organized program that takes all that self-organization out of the mix.. and then it operates more like a cruise where someone has sorted all the itinerary and sourcing for you. Yes, not everyone travels this way.. but I also don't think it's fair to knock those places down when it's HOW you are traveling, not where, that creates that situation.

TLDR - I think you're comparing more HOW you travel not really equating WDW travel anxiety to other vacations.

I'm going on a Disney cruise for NYE... 7 days... huge expense. My decision process involved
- Do I want to pay to ensure the specific type of room I want
- Learning what day I can make excursion bookings
- Spending an hour going through the options to decide with my wife which we wanted to do, see which were available, and picking them on the website.

I spent a total of about 2hrs to pick my dates/locations.. and about 2hrs to pick my excursions. Total. I still have to book airfare, but that's about the same for anything. I'll have nothing to deal with except weather going forward. And if I have a problem, there is a human willing to talk to me face to face about it on the ship.

That is easy... WDW jenga is not.

TrainsOfDisney

However, I would again argue 4 parks worth of rides, vs. what even the mega ships RCCL offers is a pretty uneven comparison. Hell i know some of the large cruise ships even have a water slide....as compared to full water parks at WDW.
Well first of all… the big ships have more than “a water slide” and all the big ships stop at private islands that are basically beach club / water parks.

Plus the ports with all sorts of activities.

I feel like a 4-5 day Royal Carribean vacation is on par with 4-5 days at Disney for a family. Obviously some people don’t like cruises and some people don’t like theme parks but I feel they are in the same market.

lazyboy97o

I also think you are comparing a bit of apples and oranges. If you are comparing a self-organized trip across multiple INDEPENDENT activities to a trip to a destination ran as a single unified entity. Yes, your comment makes sense to me. But it's also not a statement to justify WDW's complexity... it just means if you self-organize a trip over multiple places it takes effort. Compare WDW to other self-contained experiences like an all-inclusive resort, or a destination resort, etc which is more akin to a 1:1 and it stands out again.

If you want to travel elsewhere and have a unified experience, you can certainly travel as part of an organized program that takes all that self-organization out of the mix.. and then it operates more like a cruise where someone has sorted all the itinerary and sourcing for you. Yes, not everyone travels this way.. but I also don't think it's fair to knock those places down when it's HOW you are traveling, not where, that creates that situation.

TLDR - I think you're comparing more HOW you travel not really equating WDW travel anxiety to other vacations.

I'm going on a Disney cruise for NYE... 7 days... huge expense. My decision process involved
- Do I want to pay to ensure the specific type of room I want
- Learning what day I can make excursion bookings
- Spending an hour going through the options to decide with my wife which we wanted to do, see which were available, and picking them on the website.

I spent a total of about 2hrs to pick my dates/locations.. and about 2hrs to pick my excursions. Total. I still have to book airfare, but that's about the same for anything. I'll have nothing to deal with except weather going forward. And if I have a problem, there is a human willing to talk to me face to face about it on the ship.

That is easy... WDW jenga is not.
And of course with your cruise if you really wanted to plan out a lot more of it, you could decide to do just that.

Building out Walt Disney World to involve less planning is not an attack on those who like to plan. Opening up the experience more means just that, more options for more people who wish to visit as they desire.

LittleBuford

I feel like a 4-5 day Royal Carribean vacation is on par with 4-5 days at Disney for a family. Obviously some people don’t like cruises and some people don’t like theme parks but I feel they are in the same market.
They seem to me fundamentally different experiences. Some may find them equally enjoyable, but for someone after a park fix, a cruise isn’t going to do it.

LittleBuford

Does the average American family want a “park fix” ?
I was talking as an individual. I can’t speak for “the average American family”, and I’m not sure how useful such a concept is in the first place. It’s probably safest to assume that no one approach will work for all.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And of course with your cruise if you really wanted to plan out a lot more of it, you could decide to do just that.
Only to a degree.. like planning more spa stuff, reserving more optional meals. But even those are low stress because the environment is built out to minimize dead-locks between choices. There is enough duplication and variety in the majority of offerings that you literally can just decide in the morning what to do that day... and not be missing out on major elements of the product.

And this is all because they actually emphasize relaxing and being on vacation... not the inverse that is WDW which is promoting scheduling, scheduling, scheduling (because WDW is trying to squeeze and more and more into less)

EdnaMode

Will parkhoppers be "guaranteed" to be able to hop over to another park (or three) after 2pm if they've already tapped into their reserved park prior to 2pm? I don't see being turned away as a real problem-that-must-be-solved in terms of "guest experience" for Disney visitors, but has Mr. Chapek actually addressed this particular scenario?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom