Disney California Adventure to launch food experience in March

fctiger

This one spent months posting exclusively in threads about keeping Disneyland shut down and now can't wait to buy tickets when we're still in a Pandemic.

OMG, I guess I hit a nerve in the other thread lol. That wasn't my intent. Calm down.

And FYI, I only wanted DL to be shut down for 3-4 months, tops. I was hoping (and said many times here that you conveniently forgotten or just ignored) is that the parks (and I mean ALL the parks) be open up again by June. And the only reason I wanted it shut down at all because I was also hoping that in 3-4 months we would have contained it a lot more like a lot of other countries did and then start getting back to normalcy by the summer....of 2020. But unfortunately due to our serious mishandling of this virus, mix messaging and inept governing on both state and (definitely) federal level, it only got worse and worse. And here we are.

So get your facts straight chief. I never advocated for DL or any theme park to be shut down for a prolong amount of time. And I agreed with the mayors who a couple of months ago rallied together and petitioned for Newson to open them with strict enforcements. I was hoping by early summer things would be open up again there even if there was going to be tighter capacity and masks. No one certainly wanted or predicted the park to still be closed 8 months later.

And another FYI, we tried to go to the Knott's Taste of Calico event twice! First time in the summer but it had already sold out and then again around Christmas time before the state demanded all the restaurants be closed again. Missed the shot twice. So this has never been a serious issue for me. All I care about is that the theme parks are trying to keep everyone safe, adhere to strict capacity and social distancing standards while still trying to be productive and I'll happily show up! And why I'm excited Disney finally decided to do something similar.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

So if the eateries are open, are they additional charge on top of the food booths? I’d rather have the whole park open to everyone with shops and eateries opened.

As I understand it.

You must buy a Tasting Card in Advance. This is done to follow capacity limits. Once they sell "X" amount of tickets, it is sold out for that day. So no walk-ins. This also places a monetary price to keep the WDC bean counters happy.

California rules allow folks to walk inside to order and pick-up food items from restaurants. just not allowed to eat inside. Sounds like that is Disney's plan. And mentioned, 6 extra food stands.

fctiger

I know you have some issues with the poster but can’t you just leave it in the other thread?

Sorry, it was sort of my fault. I guess he feel I was attacking him and that wasn't my intent at all. Anyway, sorry this thread got derailed and I just wanted to make my point clear on this since he seem to misrepresent it on a profound level. Now that I have, I hope he understands it and can move on.

Back on topic, I am really looking forward to this. Even if we ultimately decide not to do it (or just can't afford it/sold out/etc) it's going to be fun to just see people in the park again and can explore it even if the rides themselves are closed. The Youtube videos alone will be worth it!

Stevek

Sorry, it was sort of my fault. I guess he feel I was attacking him and that wasn't my intent at all. Anyway, sorry this thread got derailed and I just wanted to make my point clear on this since he seem to misrepresent it on a profound level. Now that I have, I hope he understands it and can move on.

Back on topic, I am really looking forward to this. Even if we ultimately decide not to do it (or just can't afford it/sold out/etc) it's going to be fun to just see people in the park again and can explore it even if the rides themselves are closed. The Youtube videos alone will be worth it!
No apology needed. For some reason, folks always feel the need to insert themselves into threads which is why pretty much all of them get derailed with the same arguments.

Agree, it could be fun. I had zero concerns during the Knotts event with regards to crowds or social distancing...the issue with Disney will very likely be around price. Would I rather save the money they are charging and put that towards a ticket when they reopen.

DanielBB8

I'm no longer in a Disney mood after what they pulled in firing Gina Carano. Disney is a toxic work culture that caters to Woke SJWs on Twitter and don't defend their employees. The gall of Kathleen Kennedy to tout her record on women when she just fired a woman for the screw up known as Disney Star Wars. There is pent up demand to return to the parks, but I'll pass.

Californian Elitist

I'm no longer in a Disney mood after what they pulled in firing Gina Carano. Disney is a toxic work culture that caters to Woke SJWs on Twitter and don't defend their employees. The gall of Kathleen Kennedy to tout her record on women when she just fired a woman for the screw up known as Disney Star Wars. There is pent up demand to return to the parks, but I'll pass.
LOL.

TP2000

Okay gang, let's talk showmanship!

You know showmanship, that thing that Walt instinctively had and that helped make Disneyland so instantly famous? Showmanship.

The DCA Food & Wine Festival, or DCA Food & Wine Experience as it will be called this year because Festivals are still forbidden by Sacramento, has long lacked showmanship. I am specifically talking about the endless line of food booths all along the DCA parade route used to sell and dispense the food to festival goers.

That is the core of the DCA Festival experience, and while it is clean and aesthetically consistent, it lacks showmanship.

Each booth is identical, except for the name on the sign. Each booth has industrial-grade kitchen storage equipment inside an industrial-grade white plastic box. Staffed by entry-level CM's who are very kind and well groomed young kids, but who are just there to scoop up the thing into the thing to sell it to the people outside the booth. There is no wow, no zing, no showmanship there. It meets or exceeds all California safety regulations for public food service, and that's about the nicest thing you can say about the long line of identical food cubes that make up the bulk of the DCA Festival experience.

Step 1. Nice CM at left takes your money and tells you to pick up your food thing to the right.
Step 2. Give receipt to Nice CM in booth, who then scoops food thing out of industrial tray into paper cup and hands it to you.
Step 3. Stand to the right and eat food thing out of paper cup and comment about it to friend/date/loved one. Yum! Food!

disney-california-adventure-food-wine-festival-038.jpg

What's missing there? Showmanship! How was the food thing prepared before it was loaded into industrial trays to be scooped into paper cups by Nice CM's? What seasoning and herbs were used? How was the protein component prepared? What kind of cooking process was used? Was there flame or charring involved? How did the allegedly high end food get into that industrial steel warming tray from a Junior High Cafeteria? No one knows, it's a mystery! Because there is no showmanship to explain the process of how this food was prepared for you, how it was researched, or what it all means.

This may all be triggered by the fact I have spent this evening on Etsy shopping for a cool vintage chafing dish to use for flaming desserts for the spring entertaining season coming up at my house. Because I firmly believe that showmanship is an important part of being a good host for my guests. 🧐

But there's no such element of showmanship at most of DCA's food festivals, or experiences, or whatever Sacramento mandates they be called now.

How do they fix that at DCA? How do they make a DCA Festival more than just a long line of generic plastic boxes with industrial serving trays full of food things waiting to be scooped into food cups by Nice CM's? Would it kill them to try and get a real Chef or two into at least some of these Festival Food Cubes? Flaming and charring and folding and whipping up some exciting delight right before your eyes?!? That type of showmanship would truly be a festival for the senses!

I mean honestly, I can't be the only host or hostess in America who knows you need to display some showmanship for your guests...

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom