Disney California Adventure to launch food experience in March

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
"Disney California Adventure will launch a food and beverage experience that is expected to kick off in mid-March during the spring season when the Anaheim theme park typically runs an annual food and wine festival.

The limited time food and beverage event will bring more than 700 Disney cast members back to work in addition to the 230 employees that have already returned to work along Buena Vista Street, according to theme park officials."

"The new ticketed event is targeted to launch in mid-March, take place multiple days per week and include some entertainment but no parades or attractions.

Many of the details of the new DCA food and beverage event have yet to be announced.

There isn’t a name for the event, a description of what it will involve, how much of DCA will be involved, when it will start or how long it will run.

The event will be ticketed but a price has not been announced and it remains to be seen if the free Buena Vista Street experience will continue or not.

One thing is clear: The new Avengers Campus will not be part of the new event. A special offer for legacy annual passholders will be part of the event."

Askimosita

In the Parks
Yes
My OCR subscription had expired, so thank you for posting excerpts from the actual article 😂 excited for this! Going to slowly wean my way into Disneyland; my hubby and I are going to Aulani in a couple days, going to WDW in a couple months, and looking forward to this now.

Stevek

"Disney California Adventure will launch a food and beverage experience that is expected to kick off in mid-March during the spring season when the Anaheim theme park typically runs an annual food and wine festival.

The limited time food and beverage event will bring more than 700 Disney cast members back to work in addition to the 230 employees that have already returned to work along Buena Vista Street, according to theme park officials."

"The new ticketed event is targeted to launch in mid-March, take place multiple days per week and include some entertainment but no parades or attractions.

Many of the details of the new DCA food and beverage event have yet to be announced.

There isn’t a name for the event, a description of what it will involve, how much of DCA will be involved, when it will start or how long it will run.

The event will be ticketed but a price has not been announced and it remains to be seen if the free Buena Vista Street experience will continue or not.

One thing is clear: The new Avengers Campus will not be part of the new event. A special offer for legacy annual passholders will be part of the event."

Well there is the answer to Knott's finally. This tells me Disney likely feels that pandemic trends make this a longer term possibility i.e. they don't think there will be another shut down. Will be interesting to see how they handle relative to the current BV street opening. I would suspect that BV will no longer be open to the public and will instead be included as part of the extra admission price. I also wonder how it will be priced relative to Knott's. Disney fans will likely pay higher so I would not be surprised if it's at a slight to moderate premium over Knott's.

Stevek

Stolen from rat chat

1612809217318.png

FerretAfros

This is it, guys! Here's our chance to shine! It's finally here: Hot Dog Days are coming to California Adventure!

While it's not a huge shock that they're doing something like this, my big takeaway is that they do not seem to anticipate reopening the parks any time in the foreseeable future. For so long, DLR had been holding out hope that they could meaningfully reopen "soon," but this move seems to indicate they recognize that time won't come for many months to come. It's a reasonable middle ground, but given how slowly things move with Disney and how much effort this will take to set up, I doubt they expect they'll be allowed to reopen the parks before late summer at the earliest.

It's also worth pointing out that this event is only in DCA. They seemingly have no problem cheapening the "brand" of that park for this sort of event (or semi-temporarily annexing part of the park into DTD), but have no interest in doing something equivalent with Disneyland itself. Surely the other park would draw more guests and higher per-guest spending, so it seems the only reasonable explanation would be the imaging of the whole thing: tacky food festivals are okay for DCA, but not for DL proper.

Stevek

This is it, guys! Here's our chance to shine! It's finally here: Hot Dog Days are coming to California Adventure!

While it's not a huge shock that they're doing something like this, my big takeaway is that they do not seem to anticipate reopening the parks any time in the foreseeable future. For so long, DLR had been holding out hope that they could meaningfully reopen "soon," but this move seems to indicate they recognize that time won't come for many months to come. It's a reasonable middle ground, but given how slowly things move with Disney and how much effort this will take to set up, I doubt they expect they'll be allowed to reopen the parks before late summer at the earliest.

It's also worth pointing out that this event is only in DCA. They seemingly have no problem cheapening the "brand" of that park for this sort of event (or semi-temporarily annexing part of the park into DTD), but have no interest in doing something equivalent with Disneyland itself. Surely the other park would draw more guests and higher per-guest spending, so it seems the only reasonable explanation would be the imaging of the whole thing: tacky food festivals are okay for DCA, but not for DL proper.
Wider walkways and a history of operating these events in DCA also make it a better option. And yes, I'm sure the concept of booze throughout Disneyland would fall pretty flat inside Disney's halls and possibly with the public. Do you really think they are tacky? I've never really had a problem with the food & wine festivals but to each his (or her) own.

el_super

Well there is the answer to Knott's finally. This tells me Disney likely feels that pandemic trends make this a longer term possibility i.e. they don't think there will be another shut down.

Yep.

Disney fans will likely pay higher so I would not be surprised if it's at a slight to moderate premium over Knott's.

Not that I was all that interested in going, but the last Knott's event seemed ridiculously expensive for what it was. I'm sure the Disney event pricing will be even more silly.

Still refusing to open Disneyland though.

Stevek

Yep.

Not that I was all that interested in going, but the last Knott's event seemed ridiculously expensive for what it was. I'm sure the Disney event pricing will be even more silly.

Still refusing to open Disneyland though.
We went to the first event and felt is was a reasonable value. The downside...could never eat all that food so some of the money is wasted and it was ridiculously hot the day we went so we were pretty miserable. Heat does not make for a enticing dining experience.

FerretAfros

Wider walkways and a history of operating these events in DCA also make it a better option. And yes, I'm sure the concept of booze throughout Disneyland would fall pretty flat inside Disney's halls and possibly with the public. Do you really think they are tacky? I've never really had a problem with the food & wine festivals but to each his (or her) own.
For the most part, I have no issue with the festivals. They're intended to draw guests in during otherwise-quiet times of year, and seem to be reasonably good at it. I don't think they're as well crafted as the holiday events, but the food festivals are fine for what they are.

It was more a comment on how DL is treated as a high-brow experience, while anything goes in DCA.

There always seems to be a certain self-serious atmosphere about Disneyland that simply doesn't exist at DCA. DL is this mythical park where Walt's footsteps are worshiped, obscure details are elevated into starring roles, and decades of history and family memories are revered as a quasi-religious experience. DCA, on the other hand, is where they just dump whatever flavor du jour, whether it's the X-Games Xperience, Summer of Heroes, or Pixar Pier.

The decision-makers for the parks clearly have "rules" for what is allowed in each park, and DCA has a much lower threshold than DL for what's acceptable. The food festivals are fine for DCA, but aren't allowed in DL, even when the park is otherwise closed and crowds could easily be managed. I have to assume that's because there's just something about the food festival that someone believes isn't good enough for the hallowed ground of Disneyland (as though the State Fair, Circus Days, and Blast to the Past promotions of yore weren't equally cheesy).

That said, the execution of DCA's festivals tends to leave a lot to be desired, IMO. Instead of creating a sampling menu of new and different flavors, it's mostly just Instagram-ready novelty versions of comfort foods that do little to expand the horizons of most visitors. It tends to just feel like more of the same junk food that already served throughout the park, but it's fun because it's temporary. Epcot's non-stop festivals occasionally fall into this trap (most notably the Festival of the Arts, which ironically seems like it would be the most high-brow), but generally do a better job of avoiding it than DCA's. DCA's punch cards also do nothing to help the tacky feel of the event.

For what it's worth, although it was a much smaller scale, I found the old California Food and Wine Festivals of the mid/late-00's to be far more impressive and better fitting than the recent ones. They may not have been as flashy, but they really fit the park's mission, were less obtrusive, and genuinely offered the opportunity to taste new flavors, expand your palette, and even learn new cooking skills. There was a lot more to them than just simple food kiosks scattered across the park.

el_super

We went to the first event and felt is was a reasonable value. The downside...could never eat all that food so some of the money is wasted and it was ridiculously hot the day we went so we were pretty miserable. Heat does not make for a enticing dining experience.

Yeah the amount of food you get was kind of the issue. I don't think that pre-paying for two meals worth of food made a lot of sense when, because of the reservation system, you couldn't really come back to use it later. I'm pretty sure with the DCA festivals of the past, the tasting cards were reusable between visits, but who knows if that will work out this time.

el_super

It was more a comment on how DL is treated as a high-brow experience, while anything goes in DCA.

That's a weird take... I don't really think that seems to apply here. I've said numerous times that they would save the Disneyland experience for when they can charge a full-theme park rate for it, rather than try to give it away for free. The downside of the food event is using the cachet of being inside the park, for a discounted experience. There is value in just being inside the park, that they have to give away in order to make these food events work.

When it comes to it, they'd rather charge $150 for a day at Disneyland, than $40 for a few hours of "tasting." Maybe that's more to do with how people relate Disneyland and DCA than any real management direction being taken.

Stevek

Yeah the amount of food you get was kind of the issue. I don't think that pre-paying for two meals worth of food made a lot of sense when, because of the reservation system, you couldn't really come back to use it later. I'm pretty sure with the DCA festivals of the past, the tasting cards were reusable between visits, but who knows if that will work out this time.
If you came to a second event, you could actually use any unused vouchers but really still the same problem...even more food to try and consume. We did get some food packed to go but that wasn't ideal.

Stevek

For the most part, I have no issue with the festivals. They're intended to draw guests in during otherwise-quiet times of year, and seem to be reasonably good at it. I don't think they're as well crafted as the holiday events, but the food festivals are fine for what they are.

There always seems to be a certain self-serious atmosphere about Disneyland that simply doesn't exist at DCA. DL is this mythical park where Walt's footsteps are worshiped, obscure details are elevated into starring roles, and decades of history and family memories are revered as a quasi-religious experience. DCA, on the other hand, is where they just dump whatever flavor du jour, whether it's the X-Games Xperience, Summer of Heroes, or Pixar Pier.

The decision-makers for the parks clearly have "rules" for what is allowed in each park, and DCA has a much lower threshold than DL for what's acceptable. The food festivals are fine for DCA, but aren't allowed in DL, even when the park is otherwise closed and crowds could easily be managed. I have to assume that's because there's just something about the food festival that someone believes isn't good enough for the hallowed ground of Disneyland (as though the State Fair, Circus Days, and Blast to the Past promotions of yore weren't equally cheesy).

That said, the execution of DCA's festivals tends to leave a lot to be desired, IMO. Instead of creating a sampling menu of new and different flavors, it's mostly just Instagram-ready novelty versions of comfort foods that do little to expand the horizons of most visitors. It tends to just feel like more of the same junk food that already served throughout the park, but it's fun because it's temporary. Epcot's non-stop festivals occasionally fall into this trap (most notably the Festival of the Arts, which ironically seems like it would be the most high-brow), but generally do a better job of avoiding it than DCA's. DCA's punch cards also do nothing to help the tacky feel of the event.

For what it's worth, although it was a much smaller scale, I found the old California Food and Wine Festivals of the mid/late-00's to be far more impressive and better fitting than the recent ones. They may not have been as flashy, but they really fit the park's mission, were less obtrusive, and genuinely offered the opportunity to taste new flavors, expand your palette, and even learn new cooking skills. There was a lot more to them than just simple food kiosks scattered across the park.
I'm not sure I'd agree with Disneyland being highbrow per se, I just see them as wanting to keep the tradition that was set i.e. limited alcohol. DCA was always going to be a little more loose or "liberal" with what would be allowed given it opened with beer, wine, etc. throughout. It really made sense to have these types of events there vs DL. This really is no different that what is done in Orlando as both Castle parks are treated the same way with festival type events left to the remaining parks i.e. Epcot and DCA.

cmwade77

If you came to a second event, you could actually use any unused vouchers but really still the same problem...even more food to try and consume. We did get some food packed to go but that wasn't ideal.
It depends, if you went all day it was doable to get all of the food vouchers used, just make sure you enjoy the entertainment.

Stevek

It depends, if you went all day it was doable to get all of the food vouchers used, just make sure you enjoy the entertainment.
And that may have been one of the big issues for us. Because of the heat, we could not handle staying very long nor do I believe there was any entertainment during our visit. I would have loved to see Krazy Kirk play but I don't recall seeing much of anything.

ToTBellHop

I think it has more to do with DCA being able to offer Alcohol as to why at DCA and not DL. I also think that even if they think the park could open as early as Late May or Early June, as that would still give a potential for a couple of months.
Yes, and it’s a way to ensure that not ALL CMs will need to be brought back and retrained all at once.

This is partially for money, partially to passive-aggressively apply pressure in Sacramento. “See? We are safe!”

Stevek

Yes, and it’s a way to ensure that not ALL CMs will need to be brought back and retrained all at once.

This is partially for money, partially to passive-aggressively apply pressure in Sacramento. “See? We are safe!”
I think there is more to it than the latter unless they are trying to coincide with the new bill being presented to the state assembly. They've kinda already proven they are safe between Orlando, DTD and BV street openings.

ToTBellHop

I think there is more to it than the latter unless they are trying to coincide with the new bill being presented to the state assembly. They've kinda already proven they are safe between Orlando, DTD and BV street openings.
This is a bit more in-your-face. They’ll be opening a hotel soon, too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom