Disney buys Fox for $52 Billion

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
Disney could be the hero and save the Killer Whales, even though the entire thing is a crock. As a kid, I had access to the first Killer Whale placed in capacity at SeaWorld San Diego and the original Shamu Stadium. It was a major scientific effort first, and the shows helped pay for the research. It was the original mission of SeaWorld, who opened up the Hubbs research center a year before the park opened. Every marine scientist was for it, and said the SeaWorld's approach was far better than any other aquarium doing it at the time. It also was the first to make major improvements in building new and better facilities for the program.

But while "SeaWorld" has a responsibility under the law to care for every captive mammal under its care until they die, Disney could rebrand, and even move all the animals to a single location, opening up the land to be converted into a non-marine park.

Look at how Six Flags has converted Marineland to Discovery Kingdom in the Bay Area. It can be done.

Point of correction, it was called Marine World not Marineland. It started in 1968 in Redwood Shores (just south of San Francisco) and was owned and operated by ABC (yes that same ABC). It got merged with another animal park of the time called Africa USA to become Marine World/Africa USA in 1972. It was moved to Vallejo in 1986 and in 1999 became part of Six Flags changing its name to the now Six Flags Discovery Kingdom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_World/Africa_USA

Darkbeer1

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/12/14/3-ways-fox-will-reshape-disneys-theme-parks.aspx

>>A lot of the online chatter suggests that many of its freshly acquired franchises would be right at home at Disney's Hollywood Studios, but why slide into a park that will already be chock-full of attractions come 2019? Disney would be better served to take these new properties and tap into the already owned content that it has yet to mine as the basis for a fifth theme park, one that could take on Comcast by offering more thrill rides and a livelier slate of after-hours programming. Is Universal's Halloween Horror Nights up for the challenge? <<

tikiphil

Thinking about Mergers and IP's...

I think Disney Parks best option in the US now is to buy a competitor, SeaWorld is at a depressed price and small enough to convert, plus they could reunite the Sesame Street Characters with the Muppets.

It would give Disney two more properties in SoCal, a property in Texas, A park in Virginia which could be converted to the Disney America idea. and three more parks in Florida. And there are a lot of ties to Disney Animal Kingdom to allow more of a separate franchise.

So a Disney Seas in San Diego, and a new park in Chula Vista. Discovery Cove could have a major 4-Star built next to it, and treat it like Aulani.

Lots of great options, plus a new park in the middle of America.

Disney turned down purchasing SeaWorld back in 1989.

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-07-26/business/fi-177_1_possible-sea-world

Meanwhile, Walt Disney, a company often mentioned as a likely Sea World suitor, may have taken itself out of the bidding. Richard A. Nunis, president of Walt Disney Attractions theme park division, said at a recent press conference that Disney had "taken a look" at a possible Sea World acquisition but found the properties "quite expensive."

"I would personally rather see us spend the money" on original, Disney-created theme parks, Nunis said. "I think we could do things better ourselves."

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/12/14/3-ways-fox-will-reshape-disneys-theme-parks.aspx

>>A lot of the online chatter suggests that many of its freshly acquired franchises would be right at home at Disney's Hollywood Studios, but why slide into a park that will already be chock-full of attractions come 2019? Disney would be better served to take these new properties and tap into the already owned content that it has yet to mine as the basis for a fifth theme park, one that could take on Comcast by offering more thrill rides and a livelier slate of after-hours programming. Is Universal's Halloween Horror Nights up for the challenge? <<

From that same article, which is where I think this deal makes the most sense in terms of P&R:

"2. There's more ammo in negotiating with Comcast
There's a reason why Disney has chosen Guardians of the Galaxy and not the better known Avengers, X-Men, Spider-Man, and Fantastic Four franchises as the basis for the first Marvel-themed ride at Disney World. Rival Comcast (NASDAQ:CMCSA) has regional theme park rights to all four of those franchises as part of its deal for Marvel Super Hero Island that opened at Universal Orlando years before Disney acquired Marvel.

The Fox deal isn't going to change the Marvel restrictions that apply only to Disney World, but Disney will have more bargaining chips if it should ever want to trade assets for those beefy rights. It's worth noting that Disney will own the production rights to The Simpsons once the asset sale is finalized in 2019, notable because Comcast's parks in California and Florida have Simpsons-themed areas. Disney will also take over Fox's American Horror Story, the creepy series that has been a fixture at Universal's Halloween Horror Nights events in the past. Sooner or later, Comcast is going to get tired promoting properties that will contribute financially to its competitor, and it may be open to some kind of deal."

Additionally while I don't know if Disney is ready for a 5th park in Orlando, I can wonder if this will accelerate the talks of a 3rd park somewhere in SoCal (still don't know if the Resort District has enough space to connect a 3rd park). I know I know we keep saying its not happening anytime soon if ever (myself included), but still has me wondering.

Rich T

Disney could be the hero and save the Killer Whales, even though the entire thing is a crock. As a kid, I had access to the first Killer Whale placed in capacity at SeaWorld San Diego and the original Shamu Stadium. It was a major scientific effort first, and the shows helped pay for the research. It was the original mission of SeaWorld, who opened up the Hubbs research center a year before the park opened. Every marine scientist was for it, and said the SeaWorld's approach was far better than any other aquarium doing it at the time. It also was the first to make major improvements in building new and better facilities for the program.

But while "SeaWorld" has a responsibility under the law to care for every captive mammal under its care until they die, Disney could rebrand, and even move all the animals to a single location, opening up the land to be converted into a non-marine park.

Look at how Six Flags has converted Marineland to Discovery Kingdom in the Bay Area. It can be done.
Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is not a very optimal-looking situation for the marine life that's been transferred there. Although I'm sure the staff takes good care of the creatures--and the park's design has kept the roller coasters well away from the tanks--they still look like very small, isolated, out-of-place environments. Again, I'm just talking about the appearance of the tanks and not the (I'm sure excellent) care the animals get. They just seem very out-of-place there.

The elephants, on the other hand, look like they're having a fantastic time in their corner of the park, getting lots of keeper attention, exercise and play with lots of room to run around. Seriously, on my visit, I'd never witnessed such active, joyful-looking elephants in a park or zoo.

britain

On @lentesta's recent podcast, Jim Hill said conversations are being had along the lines of what I postulated recently: Marvel Land may be put on hold and instead become park #3. The Fox purchase has kicked up a lotta dust, and we don't know where it's going to settle for awhile.

Curious Constance

On @lentesta's recent podcast, Jim Hill said conversations are being had along the lines of what I postulated recently: Marvel Land may be put on hold and instead become park #3. The Fox purchase has kicked up a lotta dust, and we don't know where it's going to settle for awhile.

I'm pretty sure Jim is an alien that has his absurd ideas beamed down from some distant, clueless planet.

Rich T

Remember when Jim broke the big story that DL was definitely building a huge OZ land behind Rivers of America? No offense, Jim, ya know we all love ya! :)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster

I wouldn't bet the farm on anything he says. .

While I don't disagree that the Fox deal makes a 3rd gate more appealing. There is still the issue of available land and how to connect it to the rest of the resort. Because I seriously doubt Disney is going to make guests park on the west side and walk all the way over to a 3rd gate on the east side (rumored to be the Toy Story lot). And a Peoplemover or more buses/trams isn't going to work. And for now, at least in the near future the eastern gateway (which would be needed for a 3rd gate) isn't happening. So until those issues are resolved a 3rd gate is not gonna happen, in my opinion.

Marvel Land is likely to still move forward in DCA, as they aren't going to wait until the east side stuff is worked out.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is not a very optimal-looking situation for the marine life that's been transferred there. Although I'm sure the staff takes good care of the creatures--and the park's design has kept the roller coasters well away from the tanks--they still look like very small, isolated, out-of-place environments. Again, I'm just talking about the appearance of the tanks and not the (I'm sure excellent) care the animals get. They just seem very out-of-place there.

The elephants, on the other hand, look like they're having a fantastic time in their corner of the park, getting lots of keeper attention, exercise and play with lots of room to run around. Seriously, on my visit, I'd never witnessed such active, joyful-looking elephants in a park or zoo.

Prior to Six Flags getting involved it was a lot better in terms of marine life. They had to move things around to make room for the coasters.

britain

I wouldn't bet the farm on anything he says. .

While I don't disagree that the Fox deal makes a 3rd gate more appealing. There is still the issue of available land and how to connect it to the rest of the resort. Because I seriously doubt Disney is going to make guests park on the west side and walk all the way over to a 3rd gate on the east side (rumored to be the Toy Story lot). And a Peoplemover or more buses/trams isn't going to work. And for now, at least in the near future the eastern gateway (which would be needed for a 3rd gate) isn't happening. So until those issues are resolved a 3rd gate is not gonna happen, in my opinion.

Marvel Land is likely to still move forward in DCA, as they aren't going to wait until the east side stuff is worked out.

He's not saying it's happening. He's saying they're talking about whether or not the 20th Century Fox assets should change their plan or not.

The Mur

Remember when Jim broke the big story that DL was definitely building a huge OZ land behind Rivers of America? No offense, Jim, ya know we all love ya! :)

Tony Baxter was leading the potential Oz addition to Disneyland. This did apparently get very far and was high on the list for a green light until the movie tanked.
I like with Jim writes about the history of attractions; he needs to stay away from rumors.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
He's not saying it's happening. He's saying they're talking about whether or not the 20th Century Fox assets should change their plan or not.

Again I wouldn't bet the farm on it. I'm sure there is some internal talks about how the Fox deal can change plans overall, but I doubt they are serious talks in terms of Marvel Land in DCA . The Fox deal isn't expected to close until at least 2019. So they couldn't even begin to start using any Fox assets until then. That would put a major delay in further Marvel offerings in Anaheim, which has already been delayed because of the Eastern Gateway issues. So if true you wouldn't see any further Marvel offerings for at least 10 years or more. Because as I said if they wait for a 3rd gate they would have to deal with all the infrastructure issues first. I highly doubt they would wait that long.

I really wish Jim would think these things through before he just puts them out there.

Rich T

Tony Baxter was leading the potential Oz addition to Disneyland. This did apparently get very far and was high on the list for a green light until the movie tanked.
I like with Jim writes about the history of attractions; he needs to stay away from rumors.
Agreed. I do enjoy his park history pieces a lot.

Phroobar

Here is what they need to do. Forget Marvel. Move the Great Movie Ride to the DCA "backlot" and add 20th Century Fox IPs to it. It would replace Muppets, Millionaire building and Monsters inc in one giant building and be a omnimover instead of a giant car. Now they can really do an Alien scene.

brb1006

Although there are times when he's correct.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom