Disney buys Fox for $52 Billion

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So I tried to look around before I posted. I was in the lunch room today to hear on the news about the Disney / Fox deal again. They caught my attention when the news mention Marvel. To sum it up with the current deal Comcast would now have to pay Disney for Marvel and Simpsons. Disney is going to try and trade Simpsons for Marvel.

http://www.wftv.com/news/local/simpsons-could-be-bargaining-tool-between-disney-fox/696531159

This is speculation from people who have no special knowledge nor did the basics of journalism by investigating this speculation by talking to sources. This is no more than gossip.

Ismael Flores

just out of outfield but yesterday i went to see "The greatest Showman" for those that don't know the movie is a musical staring Hugh Jackman and Zac Efran. The movie is a 20th century Fox movie and i actually enjoyed it. when it was done i thought that it would fun seeing the movie as a live musical on stage and would be something entertaining and different that Disney may want to consider if and when they have the rights for it. It would be a refreshing change from the animated heavy musicals that they show in the Hyperion or future live theaters

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster

We'll see, I still see too many hurdles for Comcast to overcome. The biggest ones being the Murdoch's and the large 2.5 Billion breakup fee if the deal doesn't go through.

Comcast would have to:

1. Bring in a new offer that would include paying for the breakup fee
2. Prove they can get past regulatory issues
3. Show Murdoch how Comcast would be better than Disney, ie. how it would benefit them beyond the initial sale
4. Show how Fox assets fit better with Comcast than Disney

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
Does Marvel get their properties back no matter who buys Fox? I thought they were non-transferable.

My understanding of the Marvel/Fox deal is that they go with the company. So whomever gets Fox would retain the same rights to those Marvel properties that Fox did. Now if Fox was completely dissolved like in a bankrupcy then Marvel would likely get them back.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
21st Century Fox President Peter Rice Thinks Fox Better Fit for Disney Than Comcast
21st Century Fox president and Fox networks group chairman Peter Rice stated a preference for Disney as the company to ultimately acquire the majority of Fox, despite Comcast’s reported renewed interest in outbidding the Mouse. “I think it’s a great fit for Disney,” Rice said at Recode’s Code Media event in Southern California Monday.
“We’ve had a speculation-palooza,” admitted Rice when asked about Comcast’s moves. He admitted that Fox assets would be a great complement to both companies, but argued that ultimately if he had to choose, Disney would be a better partner. “We are excited about it,” he said about the announced deal.

Curious Constance

21st Century Fox President Peter Rice Thinks Fox Better Fit for Disney Than Comcast
21st Century Fox president and Fox networks group chairman Peter Rice stated a preference for Disney as the company to ultimately acquire the majority of Fox, despite Comcast’s reported renewed interest in outbidding the Mouse. “I think it’s a great fit for Disney,” Rice said at Recode’s Code Media event in Southern California Monday.
“We’ve had a speculation-palooza,” admitted Rice when asked about Comcast’s moves. He admitted that Fox assets would be a great complement to both companies, but argued that ultimately if he had to choose, Disney would be a better partner. “We are excited about it,” he said about the announced deal.
How do I contact him to let him know he's wrong?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Well, $6 billion more wasn't good enough to change their dance partner. What would it take? And what if Disney then countered to lower the gap back to acceptable levels?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
Well, $6 billion more wasn't good enough to change their dance partner. What would it take? And what if Disney then countered to lower the gap back to acceptable levels?

And this is why I don't believe Fox is going anywhere other than to Disney. All the parties involved want the deal to happen. Now the Murdoch's will likely entertain any offer, if any, that Comcast presents at this stage of the game. They have to just to make sure they are doing their fiduciary duty. But will give Disney all the details on what it would take to counter that offer. And Iger will get approval to counter that offer and we are back to where we are now.

Point is Fox is going to Disney because the Murdoch's and Iger want it to go to Disney plain and simple.

Ismael Flores

My understanding of the Marvel/Fox deal is that they go with the company. So whomever gets Fox would retain the same rights to those Marvel properties that Fox did. Now if Fox was completely dissolved like in a bankrupcy then Marvel would likely get them back.

This is quite interesting,

I might be wrong but wasn’t there a clause in the marvel 20th century fox deal that said something about the transfer of property?
Either Marvel had to approve of the transfer to another studio or they, Marvel, had first rights to buy the contract back for its characters.
Wish I could remember where I read that

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
This is quite interesting,

I might be wrong but wasn’t there a clause in the marvel 20th century fox deal that said something about the transfer of property?
Either Marvel had to approve of the transfer to another studio or they, Marvel, had first rights to buy the contract back for its characters.
Wish I could remember where I read that

Now I haven't read the actual contract, so its hard to say what the actual legalize actually is. Fox in this case would not be transferring anything. The company is being bought along with all the rights that go with it. As is the likelihood with Disney, 20th Century Fox would become a subsidiary of the new company. So in reality the company would still be around, thus able to still execute on the existing contract.

Ismael Flores

Now I haven't read the actual contract, so its hard to say what the actual legalize actually is. Fox in this case would not be transferring anything. The company is being bought along with all the rights that go with it. As is the likelihood with Disney, 20th Century Fox would become a subsidiary of the new company. So in reality the company would still be around, thus able to still execute on the existing contract.

Ok that makes sense

Old Mouseketeer

Isn't that the point of an omnimover? To move as many people as possible thru the ride. Lines are suppose to be short or none existant with it. The HM would never have a line if the stretching room wasn't there.

Totally not true. The front door CM regularly shorts the foyer when the hallway downstairs is full. I have had friends who worked there even back in the late '70s when I worked in the park. If they were to do nothing but send down full stretching rooms the hallway would be full within half an hour. Late one night over way too many beers I listened to several creepy maids and butlers explain the minutiae of running the attraction, including how things have changed over the years. One person found a partially smoked pot pipe at unload. And several observed sex on the monitors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom