Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

Pentacat

Wow. I never thought Lucas would relinquish his Vader grip on his creation. The theme park implications are pretty huge but can you imagine what some of the current crop of Writer/Directors could do in the Star Wars Universe? I'll give a shovel full of cash right now for a Christopher Nolan Star Wars movie....say Han Solo Origin Story?

I need to go lie down.

Nemo14

smiley-sw006.gif

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
tl;dr
I'm assuming that people are very upset about this, though? and if you don't mind me asking- why? I'm not a big lucasfilm's person, but I'm kinda imagining it's how most felt when disney got marvel?

I don't think I've seen any overly negative reactions on here at all. Most folks are over-excited (myself very much included) about the possibilities that this opens up.

Goofy6294

I meant like how it will effect how many non disney movies that they contribute to going forward. It also appears that they just bought an animation studio as well since ILM has started making features.
Gotcha. I imagine they will still contribute. The 8-10 movies mentioned in the press release are those being released under the Walt Disney Pictures tag. TWDC still releases lots of movies under its other production brands.

PhilharMagician

Fromhttp://attractionsmagazine.com/blog/2012/10/30/disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-and-start-releasing-new-star-wars-movies-starting-with-episode-7-in-2015/

Disney CFO Jay Rasulo described some of the ways they hope to capitalize on the acquisition, “We plan to release the first new Star Wars film in 2015, and then plan to release one film every two to three years. These films will be released and distributed as part of our target slate of 8-10 live-action films per year, and will augment Disney’s already strong creative pipeline for many years to come. We also expect to utilize Star Wars in other businesses including Parks & Resorts, in games and in our television business. These initiatives were also considered in our valuation.”

So...Disney's Death Star Resort? Announce that and I'll book a room now!
No SSE will be rethemed to be the new Death Star!

lebeau

Wow. I never thought Lucas would relinquish his Vader grip on his creation. The theme park implications are pretty huge but can you imagine what some of the current crop of Writer/Directors could do in the Star Wars Universe? I'll give a shovel full of cash right now for a Christopher Nolan Star Wars movie....say Han Solo Origin Story?

I need to go lie down.

I guess he got sick of disappointing his fans for decades and decided a 4 billion dollar payday didn't sound so bad.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Don't have time to read the thread, but as a Disney fan I dislike this move (not that it isn't good business wise). Disney still has a toxic creative culture and this just shows that Iger has never been interesting in fixing Disney's heart. Pixar, Marvel, LucasFilm have all been acquired to fill ulcers within Disney without any real medicine. It's a great strategy so long as these entities remain free of the Disney poison, and its a poor long term strategy.

He just wants to be the GE of media...

But this is bank in terms of intellectual property at the finger tips of every Disney Theme Park fan who grew up with IJ and SW... people will/are/should be falling over themselves in terms of the POSSIBILITES

Let's just hope it's more IJA.. and less of that dancing SW character crap during SW Weekendds

riverscu0m0

I don't think I've seen any overly negative reactions on here at all. Most folks are over-excited (myself very much included) about the possibilities that this opens up.
Yeah, some of my friends are freaking out about this, they seem to think that disney now owning lucasfilms will make it turn into like Star Wars: The Musical or something. When trying to explain that even though they have marvel, they've done nothing but improve it my friends seem to not listen :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom