Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

GLaDOS

Good franchise, I doubt it would beat out Star Wars, though.

Universal already has their franchise to match Star Wars. It's called Harry Potter. Both are far and away the most popular franchise in existence. Star Wars is easily more profitable, however, as Lucas has had no qualms about leveraging it to everything and anything, unlike Rowling.

A great move for Disney here, and one that will hopefully make the Orlando theme park offerings even stronger.

Atomicmickey

I've never seen Disney move so fast. Scrims went up, then came down already.

I hear the new central AA is STUNNING. And Hot Dog Burp has been replaced with cigar smoke.

hdge.jpg

flynnibus

Premium Member
Crap. I'd love for them to take advantage of Dr. Jones. So there is no hope? Do they even own that franchise?

what they are referring to in the call is they didn't put a valuation on IJ where they did on star wars because while fox did the past movies, they don't have rights to future movies. Paramount must have rights to produce/distribute future IJ films still.. which is why they didn't assign value to it in the value of the company.

Basically Disney had to tell the investor world... 'we paid 4 billion dollars for what we believe was XYZ worth of value'. They said they believe the star wars franchise represents almost all of that value to justify 4+ billion. They didn't assign any value to IJ in that valuation because of the existing deals. Basically, they either wouldn't get money from future deals, or they think it will cost them more than its worth to break the existing deals... = net zero.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The Clone Wars deal is not eternal. Eventually, Disney will pull the plug and set up their own cartoon on their own network. Probably not Clone Wars though.

cartoon network purchases the shows from Lucas. I doubt the deal is lopsided to CN given the concept predates CN's involvement and Lucas is notorious for holding his IP.

misterID

Disney can do whatever they want with Indy in the parks, Paramount has the film rights.

And again, I don't think Star Wars is going to void out either Carsland or Avland.

TP2000

Fascinating news! And good news for the American theme parks, to be sure. Although it will take at least 3 or 4 years for anything to bear fruit in the parks from this deal.

Tomorrow is Halloween (obviously), and my Villa Park, California neighborhood is inundated with kids from 2 to 22 in costumes. I literally get between 200 and 300 trick or treaters at the door between 5PM and 9PM each year, and I love to see the costumes. I am willing to bet that I will see dozens of Star Wars costumes on kids not even born in 2005 when the last movie came out. And yet each year at Halloween for the past two years I look for someone, ANYONE, to be dressed up in an Avatar costume. The Avatar costumes never show up, although Mom would need to make it for the kid because Target and toy stores don't sell or offer any Avatar toys or merchandise, let alone a Halloween costume.

That's my unofficial an unscientific poll on whether or not Avatarland was the right decision for DAK. The kids don't seem to care about Avatar, and I've never seen anyone dressed as an Avatar blue alien at my door on Halloween. But I still get Chewbaca and Darth Vader and Stormtroopers at my door 35 years after they showed up in theaters.

Ignohippo

Well, someone called this a while back...

...that would be me.

It made too much sense and had to be the sticking point of the expansion of Star Wars in the parks. With Lucas stepping aside, Disney would be the perfect company to watch over his characters and make sure they remain relevant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom