Disney Bans Kids from Victoria & ALberts

DAKOTADISNEY

Fox and Friends (early morning Fox news show) talked about the ban and you can go to their website to voice your opinion. They said that so far their bloggers are overshelmingly in favor of the ban. Doesn't Disney Cruises' have one restaurant just for adults? I think it's a smart move and I have two kids.

The Mom

Premium Member
My youngest is 14, so I'm almost at the end of the "child raising" years. I've actually spent more time in them than most (24 years with 4 to go) so there were many days when I had difficulty seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, but it is there! My husband and I are at a point where we can leave my son at home (or even in a hotel room) while we go to any restaurant we please. This will continue for at least 2 more decades, God willing. Most of you parents started having children at a younger age than I (I was 32 for my first) so will have even more time.

So those of you who have only been dealing with parenting small children for a decade or so, take heart. It will end sooner than you realize (and you'll look back and wonder how it went so quickly), and you will reach a stage when not only would your children prefer to be anywhere you aren't, they will be old enough to do so. ;)

jbulkley78

My wife is a very picky eater as well and she manages to find things on the menu each time. In fact the last time we went she tried things that she doesn't like (like anything with mushrooms) and absolutely loved it. They're very accomodating to special requests. It would even be worth it to give them a call before you go and go over what you like/don't like. I think you'll be just fine.

DisneyWood

I had to think twice on whether or not I should respond to your post. I certainly understand your point and I regret that you have to suffer with this condition. I am a parent of two children under the age of ten. I agree there are places that children should not be allowed, I've heard of a movie theater in Chicago that has restricted children as well. I think the decision by Disney is sound in regards to V & A. However, it sounds like you have been traumatized to a point to where you would have no children in any restaurant or any other public place you haunt. An upscale, refined and expensive restaurant that provides a "dining experience" should be able to restrict who they serve. A family restaurant is different. If one wants to interact in public, one has to expect to bump into a few children once and awhile and not expect people to walk on egg shells. My first daughter was an absolute angel from birth. My second daughter was different. She would be good for a good stretch of time and then out of nowhere she would act out. My wife and I are by no means permissive parents. We ourselves were raised in very strict homes. There are parents out there that don't have a clue, but there are others that do, but are dealing with situations that don't go away by waving a magic wand. Children's brains and emotions are different than adults, and adults that aren't around children don't realize this, so they're expectations are higher. Our going out to restaurants since our youngest was born has significantly decreased. Like you not wanting to hear our child have a break down, we don't want to have people glaring angrily at us while we try to deal with it with out becoming violent. You've got V & A now, just leave us families Chef Mickey's, OK?

I am sure glad that you responded. I think lumping all parents together is completely unfair. There are parents out there that let their children get away w/ basically anything & everything. I consider my wife & I strict parents, and will not allow our children to behave in a negative way in public. However, our children will act out at times, but we will get a handle on it, and take proper action immediately.

The ban really doesn't bother me in the least. I wouldn't go there w/ or w/o children. That is really not my type of environment, and would rather spend my money elsewhere. I do think it is there right to put the ban out there, but I think this starts something that can get out of hand.

FYI: I haven't even seen anything on the news regarding this change, so I don't think there has been much bad publicity.

DH and I agree with Disney on this. We go to WDW at least 3 to 4 times a year and wish there would be more adult only places there. We both love kids but sometimes you did to get away from when you are at the park all day.

JustPlainBill

I am sure glad that you responded. I think lumping all parents together is completely unfair. There are parents out there that let their children get away w/ basically anything & everything. I consider my wife & I strict parents, and will not allow our children to behave in a negative way in public. However, our children will act out at times, but we will get a handle on it, and take proper action immediately.
Thanks!
I have been a parent for about ten years now. I'll be the first to say my view of the world was quite different before I had kids.
Nothing makes you feel as stupid and out of control as being a parent sometimes. I certainly don't expect people to put up with my whiney, mis-behaving child, I only ask for a little patience and understanding as I would afford anyone else. I do avoid places that aren't child-friendly, as other posters have said, it would be rediculous to set my kids up to fail by placing them in that kind of environment. How do people expect parents to teach their children how to behave in public if their children are banned from all restaurants as was suggested before. Children need to be allowed to be in public places if they are expected to function as adults later. I've been in plenty of "family-friendly" places that have had rude, mis-behaving drunk adults. I find it hard to believe that there are so many bad children and parents out there. I don't feel that the world should change to suit me or my personal situation. I would adapt and do what I could to make the best of any situation. If a restaurant allowed smoking and I found this offensive, I would stay away from the establishment. If you know a restaurant allows children and it is that which is so bothersome to you that you are in pain, I certainly wouldn't go there or expect so many others to change for me.

JustPlainBill

My youngest is 14, so I'm almost at the end of the "child raising" years. I've actually spent more time in them than most (24 years with 4 to go) so there were many days when I had difficulty seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, but it is there! My husband and I are at a point where we can leave my son at home (or even in a hotel room) while we go to any restaurant we please. This will continue for at least 2 more decades, God willing. Most of you parents started having children at a younger age than I (I was 32 for my first) so will have even more time.

So those of you who have only been dealing with parenting small children for a decade or so, take heart. It will end sooner than you realize (and you'll look back and wonder how it went so quickly), and you will reach a stage when not only would your children prefer to be anywhere you aren't, they will be old enough to do so. ;)
I was 32 when our first was born as well, she will be turning 10 this year, which means we'll be paying adult prices for her on our trip this August.:cry:

Phonedave

Hi there,

I waded through the thread and it doesn't seem anyone answered your question. I have not eaten at V&A's but I have read a fair amount about it from several different sources.

There is a menu, at least one described to you, and you have I think three choices, one beef/red meat, one fowl and one seafood. The food and presentation will be well beyond the typical steak-house, etc. It is pretty expensive, as restaurant meals go, $100+. From your description, you may not like it. It will be quite an experience and you might hit on something you'd find out you liked. But I would suggest having your parents review Birnbaum, Unofficial Guide or the mentioned somewhere in this thread restaurant review book. Hopefully, they won't force this on you. If they do, do what you can eat and you can always hit the hotel's fast-food place on the way out :) Good luck!

I didn't see this addressed in the post, so sorry if it was

Sort of right with the menu. Its a seven course menu, with three choices for each course.

They will accomidate you as best they can IF YOU TELL THEM AHEAD OF TIME, as in at least a week.

My ex-wife hated all things fish, so they removed all fish items from her menu. She had many of the same choices I did, but where I had fish, they did substitue things.

Here are the selections we chose, (I have the choices somewhere, but not handy on line), so you can get an idea of what you may be presented with. (and that Veal Cheek - I still talk about it :) ) The wines I had are also listed.

Notice how in the fish couse (#3) my ex had poultry. Because she does not like fish, she was given different offering when fish would normaly be on the menu.

And really, look at the menu, what sub-10 year old is going to appreciate whats on it?

Amuse Bouche - Warm celery cream with basil olive oil. Mine was topped with smoked salmon and Iranian Caviar, the fish was left off Kerri's. Paired with Codorniu Cava Brut, Penedes NV

Kerri: Smoked Colorado Buffalo with Melted Cabbage Slaw and Grains of Paradise
Me: Blue Lump Crab and Fresh Gulf Shrimp with Petite French Green Lentils - Paired with Trimbach Gewurztraminer, Alsace 2002

Kerri: Serrano Ham and Gruyere Cheese Stuffed Quail with Root Vegetable Flan
Me: Poulet Rouge with Fresh Porcinis and a Truffled Egg paired with Feudi di San Nicola Negro Amaro, Puglia 2003

Kerri: Poulet Rouge with Fresh Porcinis and a Truffled Egg (same thing I had in the previous course)
Me: Atlantic Turbot with Winterpoint Oyster, Salsify, and Spinach Veloute paired with Domaine Maillard Pete et Fils Chorey-Les-Beaune Chardonnay, Burgundy 2004

Kerri: Duet of Australian Kobe Beef
Me: Marcho Farms Veal with Roasted Beet and Veal Cheek "Lasagna" paired with Charles Joguet "Cuvee Terroir" Cabernet Franc, Chinon 2003

Kerri: Rasberry Gelato with Micro Garden Mint
Me: Comte Sainte Antoine, Pierre Robert and English Stilton Cheesecake paired with Ramos Pinto Porto Tawny, Villa Nova de Gaia

Kerri: Hawaiian Kona Chocolate Suffle
Me: Caramelized Banana Gateau

-dave

wolf lightnin

I've read most of this thread and, with so many posts, it's almost impossible not to repeat something that has already been said but...

First off, count my vote in with the people who are strongly with Disney on this issue.

The wife and I went to WDW for our honeymoon and went to V&A's. at that point in the trip, we'd already been in Disney for over a week so when we got there and were treated like adults and given adult food in an adult atmosphere, we were extremely relieved because we had almost forgotten what it was like to not be around completely feral children (or their obnoxious parents).

I like kids. I really do. the wife and I went to Disney knowing it would be overrun by kids. but it was very nice to feel like we were in a place that was geared specifically towards us.

and for the people who think it's stupid to spend that much money on a meal:

we went parasailing. that cost us about $110 apiece and it lasted ten minutes! now I know I'm comparing completely different things, but our dinner at V&A's lasted about 3 hours! talk about entertainment value! :D
(and it is entertaining, believe me)
I'm a working class guy, but I saved up a long time to take my wife to Disney and do everything we could possibly want to do on our honeymoon and, coming from that perspective, I feel we got our money's worth.

oh, and I like wings and beer and low-brow food too, but I'm not closed minded enough to ever want to quit trying new things or having new experiences. I say that because I highly recommend going to V&A's, even if you think your palate may not be sophisticated enough, or if you think it's gonna be too stuffy (it's not, our wait staff was exceedingly down to earth and we had a blast with them), or if you think for any other reason you won't like it. where we're from, you don't get too many chances to get an experience like this, or an occasion like a honeymoon trip to Disney, so why not take advantage of it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom