Disney Bans Kids from Victoria & ALberts

Hopefully I'm reading you wrong and you are not calling me an immature adult with no sense of what money is worth. :lookaroun

If I choose to spend big bucks on a meal in a five star restaurant - money that I earned by hard work - then that is my business. I have not eaten at V&A because its not my type of place, but yes, I have eaten in restaurants where the total bill is close to $200 for my family...they are special occasion meals not everyday meals.

No, I totally agree and no, I wasnt calling you an immature adult. Sorry that might have came out wrong. I can see where that might sound offending. You have to understand, I was at work when I read that and was totally in a sense of shock. Ha ha I guess what i meant to say it just seems crazy, TO ME, to spend that kind of money on a meal. Im not telling anyone how to spend their money, just saying I dont. That is all, and very sorry if I offended anyone.

tigsmom

No, I totally agree and no, I wasnt calling you an immature adult. Sorry that might have came out wrong. I can see where that might sound offending. You have to understand, I was at work when I read that and was totally in a sense of shock. Ha ha I guess what i meant to say it just seems crazy, TO ME, to spend that kind of money on a meal. Im not telling anyone how to spend their money, just saying I dont. That is all, and very sorry if I offended anyone.

:lol: Kinda thought thats what you meant and I gave you the benefit of the doubt. I don't mind spending money for a good meal (and have), but spending that much money when you have kids who can't appreciate it seems like a waste to me.

:lol: Kinda thought thats what you meant and I gave you the benefit of the doubt. I don't mind spending money for a good meal (and have), but spending that much money when you have kids who can't appreciate it seems like a waste to me.
Our last disney trip was in July, 06, and I saved up for 6 months just so we could go. My wife isnt much help when it come to saving. Ha ha. I did spend the 100+ bucks on a character meal in the castle, so if it makes you feel better, I am calling myself an immature adult also. Ha ha. I wasnt paying it for the taste of the meal though, but more so my kids could have a good time. In my opinion, Disney is all about the kids having a blast.

I dont have a problem at all with the new policy for V & A. Its not a place I would ever go. I guess the point I was trying to make was I have never tasted a meal that was worth that kind of money, at least to me. I watch these cooking shows on TV, and most of the time the expensive food they make just looks gross to me. Give me some good seafood, like lobster and scallops, and I am good to go.

But again, I apologize if I offended you, or anyone else for that matter, with my comments.

JustPlainBill

Disney is banning my kids from V & A?!
Big deal, I wouldn't take them there anyway.
However, I am concerned about them banning my kids from places we happen to enjoy together, now that they have taken this first step.

tigsmom

Disney is restricting attendance of children to those over the age of 10, when they have a grasp on the concept of sitting quietly and not interrupting the other diners and can appreciate the types of food offered. I think the word ban is too strong as its a restriction on attendance similar to ride restrictions.

:shrug:

figmentmom

Personally, I think it's a great idea. I'm a teacher, and I love kids, but I spend all day, every day with them - if I'm going to drop several hundred dollars for a lovely dinner, I do NOT want to be distracted by small children who are just too young to enjoy the formal atmosphere.

There are lots and lots of other restaurant choices all over WDW that are appropriate for small children.

Figment571

Treats the symptoms and not the cure. ;) You want to make a better dining atmosphere? How about the parents just get off their and do some parenting?

There are just too many loud mouth ignoramous kids out there and you need to look no further than the parents to see that the apple doesnt fall far from the tree. The parents either just pretend that the kids are invisible or that they don't want to hand out any discipline because they don't want to upset their super precious offspring.

One thing I've learned is that educating puppies or children have a lot of parallels. Rule#1: put the fear of God in them at least once. As soon they understand who is really in charge, everything tends to fall into place when it comes to listening. And before you jump on me for comarping kids to puppies, I'm not. I'm just paralleling the mindset of how you teach right from wrong. I have a 3 year old that everyone tells me is the most polite and intelligent 3 year old they have ever seen. So I have to be doing at least part of this parenting correct. ;) I'm certainly no Brittany Spears.

Aren't there any people here that fondly remember actually fearing the consequences of doing something stupid and then having to face your parent's wrath? Or is everyone here under 25 years old and doesn't know what ol'school parenting is all about? :p

Oh, I know. My parents rule with an iron fist, so to speak. Now even at 16 I still fear them to some degree. If I acted up, there would be heck to pay.
I actually fully agree with this policy. Too many kids today can run around and the parents don't care. They just want to sit around and throw money at the kids to get them away.

figmentmom

Plus, Disney is NOT in the business of disciplining kids. This new policy at V & A is the BEST way to see that guests paying top prices for their meal aren't distracted by young children.

Nemo14

Oh, I know. My parents rule with an iron fist, so to speak. Now even at 16 I still fear them to some degree. If I acted up, there would be heck to pay.
I actually fully agree with this policy. Too many kids today can run around and the parents don't care. They just want to sit around and throw money at the kids to get them away.
I'm fifty-something, and my mother still scares me!

Captain Hank

To put things in perspective, according to the manager that was inteviewed in the Associated Press article linked above: "Only about three families a month ever brought young children to Victoria & Albert's."

I think they should do this in all resturants

I have Hyperacusis, it is a sound sensitivity condition. Basically, sudden loud noises cause me pain and discomfort. There is NOWHERE these days, you can go that isn't filled with children.

I haven't been to a resturant in nearly a year, because every time I go, some idiot waiter said they won't sit kids by me, and you know they sit kids by me. It would be one thing if parents knew how to take care of children. It seems they feel they don't have to know, or aren't required to be bothered by parenting.

For one, when your child cries. Take them to the washroom, take them outside, don't make everyone else in the resturant have to endure your child's crying. Too much trouble? Try hiring a babysitter.

I also really am sick of parents having a nasty attitude to non-parents about their children. Things such as, "Well why should I have to move, what do you have against kids! Do you hate children? That's it you must hate children!" Like some how if the villanize you, as a child-hater, that's a reasonable way to get out of a situation that could simply be remedied by moving somewhere else. I don't go to Chuck E Cheese and yell at the kids to shut up, ok? So if you go to a resturant, you need to realize the place is for adults.

There's also, "How DARE you question my ability as parent? You're not a parent, so you know NOTHING!" As well as, "My child never misbehaves or cries." A few minutes later the child is crying, and the parent is looking around like a helpless victim.

That's another thing, I have no pity for the whole "I can't help it, my child just won't behave" martyr claim. Like,
"Help me I'm a victim of my own child's behaviour..won't you understand?!" I won't understand, you're the parent. Being a parent means you know where your child is or isn't welcome based on their ability to behave. Hey how about ordering out, I have to since there is no place I can go that isn't filled with screaming children.

Finally, there's the claim that because I don't act "retarded" I therfore must not have a problem. I must be wanting attention. Yeah, cause I really like having to be treated like a child, because I have a higher sensitivity to loud noises. Oh and how I love having to have a near panic attack at every resturant I try to go to, when inevitebly some child starts to screech, while mommy looks around like a deer in headlights.

I hope other resturants fallow suites. I'm in IL, they recently had enacted a state-wide smoking ban. I hope the resturants see this as an opportunity to make the smoking sections the new "family" section at resturants. It isn't about wanting sometime away from kids, it's that today there is virtually nowhere to get away from kids. Albeit it's more than reasonable to assume you will be around kids at Disneyworld, I mean, duh. With other resturants, I don't really see an excuse for it. There used to be a time where children just weren't welcome somewhere.

Now you can't have that lest, the parents get mad at the resturant, as if they were their own small child's age. Proclaiming, "It's not fair!", with the reasoning of a two-year old's understanding of fairness in life. Being a parent does not entitle you to act your own child's age towards other adults.

That's my rant on the subject. I just felt maybe if you saw the perspective from someone who virtually cannot go anywhere to eat, because every resturant now is an un-official Chuck E Cheese, you'd understand how important it is that Disney is taking this stand. I'm sure resturants would gain much more money, if they seperated the families from the adults who want a quiet dinner.

Oh and before anyone mentions it, I have tried earplugs. You can't eat with earplugs, the movement of the jaw forces them out of the ear. Aside from that, I'm fine most of the time with it. It's not that crippling. It's just that if I pay money to go to a resturant, I don't want to be paying for the opportunity to sit next to some clueless parent, and their squalling child. While the parent looks around acting like some sort of helpless baby themselves. It's pathetic.

I-4Warrior

Sorry, but I think this is a move that just makes sense. If I'm going to a 5 diamond establishment, I want to immerse myself in the food and the atmosphere. In fine dining, the atmosphere is almost as important as the food itself. If I'm willing to pay the money that V&A's costs, I want no needless distractions from ill-behaved children. And since it's impossible to institute a "No Ill-behaved Children Allowed" policy (Since no parent EVER thinks their kids are ill-behaved), none should be allowed.

Nevermind the fact that as a child, I myself would've gone absolutely mental if my parents dragged me to a place like Victoria and Alberts.

JustPlainBill

Finally, there's the claim that because I don't act "retarded" I therfore must not have a problem. I must be wanting attention. Yeah, cause I really like having to be treated like a child, because I have a higher sensitivity to loud noises. Oh and how I love having to have a near panic attack at every resturant I try to go to, when inevitebly some child starts to screech, while mommy looks around like a deer in headlights.

I hope other resturants fallow suites. I'm in IL, they recently had enacted a state-wide smoking ban. I hope the resturants see this as an opportunity to make the smoking sections the new "family" section at resturants. It isn't about wanting sometime away from kids, it's that today there is virtually nowhere to get away from kids. Albeit it's more than reasonable to assume you will be around kids at Disneyworld, I mean, duh. With other resturants, I don't really see an excuse for it. There used to be a time where children just weren't welcome somewhere.
I had to think twice on whether or not I should respond to your post. I certainly understand your point and I regret that you have to suffer with this condition. I am a parent of two children under the age of ten. I agree there are places that children should not be allowed, I've heard of a movie theater in Chicago that has restricted children as well. I think the decision by Disney is sound in regards to V & A. However, it sounds like you have been traumatized to a point to where you would have no children in any restaurant or any other public place you haunt. An upscale, refined and expensive restaurant that provides a "dining experience" should be able to restrict who they serve. A family restaurant is different. If one wants to interact in public, one has to expect to bump into a few children once and awhile and not expect people to walk on egg shells. My first daughter was an absolute angel from birth. My second daughter was different. She would be good for a good stretch of time and then out of nowhere she would act out. My wife and I are by no means permissive parents. We ourselves were raised in very strict homes. There are parents out there that don't have a clue, but there are others that do, but are dealing with situations that don't go away by waving a magic wand. Children's brains and emotions are different than adults, and adults that aren't around children don't realize this, so they're expectations are higher. Our going out to restaurants since our youngest was born has significantly decreased. Like you not wanting to hear our child have a break down, we don't want to have people glaring angrily at us while we try to deal with it with out becoming violent. You've got V & A now, just leave us families Chef Mickey's, OK?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom