Disney at Walmart

danstadnik

Just adding a little fuel to this interesting fire...
What if this partnership turns into "WalMart presents Soarin' Around the World" or "WalMart presents Everest with a Working Yeti" or "WalMart presents Horizons 2.0" or any of the other attractions that you'd like to see, but just never seem to happen...

Would those who don't like this WalMart/ Disney collaboration REALLY stick to their guns and not go to the attraction, or maybe even into the park?

I mean, I get it, I used to not shop at Wally World as a matter of principle when I was single and in my 20's, but in my 30's with a wife and 3 kids, well, I do a LOT of WalMart shopping. I mean, its not like me paying 25% more for razors or soap or milk at Walgreen's or Target or whatever is going to solve anything for starving Chinese kids.

But it WILL help MY kids not starve, if Dad has more money. So sorry everybody else, but thats my number 1 priority. And even if I hit the Powerball tomorrow (which I don't play) I'll continue my WalMart shopping for items that are cheapest there, because why would I just GIVE money away to a corporation? I'd rather save that money, and give it myself to a person who is down on their luck, rather than just trust that Target's going to do the right thing and give the difference to their employees.

OK, I'm off the soapbox now, thanks!

Timekeeper

Yeah, I'm not sure how people commenting on the Walmarting of WDW quality is somehow derogatory to people who shop or work at Walmart. :lookaroun

My aunt has worked in management at Walmart for 7 years (unhappily). Their status as one of the worst companies for employees is fairly well documented, so I won't go into it. ...

You got it. The "inner workings" with Walmart kinda reminds me of the "inner workings" of the fast food industry. There's nothing inherently wrong with inexpensive food, and there will always be a demand for it, but people either (1) don't want to know what goes on behind the scenes and simply ignore it, or (2) educate themselves as to what goes on behind the scenes and then make a decision to no longer be a participant in that cycle (or at least feel a little bit guilty the next time that they do participate in it).

There's plenty of literature out there, but as was suggested, this isn't the proper venue for "getting into it." But for those who are interested and prefer the format of video over academic papers, studies, and statistics, a good starting point might be the documentary Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price. There's enough data in the film to at least create some consumer awareness. The film is available to stream on Netflix, and is better than the trailer suggests (it's not only about the closure of small businesses, the human elements are the ones that would seem difficult for a reasonable person to be okay with).

And no, that's not a criticism of the customers or the hard-working employees, but rather issues that systematically work their way down from the top. :cry:

Uncle Lupe

This is not happening at all Walmart stores. Part of creating an experience is exclusivity.

O.K. 2000+ Walmart stores.

Found our display today. Ours is a main isle display with the $10 Disney movies. Was glad to see the old cartoons available on DVD. MY daughter loves to watch the slapstick antics of the shorts shown on Disney Junior between shows. Reminds me of what the Disney channel use to be when I was young.

Timekeeper

Then why bring it up in the first place?

Along those lines, one might also ask, "Why bring up Kodak and their bankruptcy?"

There's a difference between "bringing it up" and "getting into it." Why bring it up? Probably because this is a discussion forum. Bringing up Wal-Mart (which I was not the originator of here) inherently brings up certain issues pertaining to whether related "partnerships" are a good idea.

One might analogize this unavoidable entanglement to bringing up Obama's visit without bringing up politics. He is the most notable politician in the world, and the purpose of his visit was political in nature. So while this would not be the appropriate forum to "get into it" with respect to political debate, it's impossible to mention Obama without simultaneously mentioning politics. Obama is politics. And Wal-Mart is Wal-mart, warts and all.

hiptwinmama

I don't like it, but my biggest shock is that Disney is teaming up with a company that is known for treating their employees like "you know what". And a store that gets in the media for things like in store altercations and discrimination.

njDizFan

Original Poster
Just adding a little fuel to this interesting fire...
What if this partnership turns into "WalMart presents Soarin' Around the World" or "WalMart presents Everest with a Working Yeti" or "WalMart presents Horizons 2.0" or any of the other attractions that you'd like to see, but just never seem to happen...

Would those who don't like this WalMart/ Disney collaboration REALLY stick to their guns and not go to the attraction, or maybe even into the park?

I mean, I get it, I used to not shop at Wally World as a matter of principle when I was single and in my 20's, but in my 30's with a wife and 3 kids, well, I do a LOT of WalMart shopping. I mean, its not like me paying 25% more for razors or soap or milk at Walgreen's or Target or whatever is going to solve anything for starving Chinese kids.

But it WILL help MY kids not starve, if Dad has more money. So sorry everybody else, but thats my number 1 priority. And even if I hit the Powerball tomorrow (which I don't play) I'll continue my WalMart shopping for items that are cheapest there, because why would I just GIVE money away to a corporation? I'd rather save that money, and give it myself to a person who is down on their luck, rather than just trust that Target's going to do the right thing and give the difference to their employees.

OK, I'm off the soapbox now, thanks!
I originally posted this not to neccesarily bash WalMart but to bring to light the idea that Disney which is all about BRAND management right now and carefully managing it's social media has decided to team up with a company which certainly has a negative BRAND issue.

But since the other issue has been breached let me go on the soap box for a minute. The issue with WalMart(besides the Union busting and gender equality issues) is the way the merchandice and finance techniques actually can hurt the consumer. WalMart is such a huge company and is larger(in terms of GDP) then most of the countires in the world. With that type of economic leverage they can demand cheaper prices directly from the merrchant(since they are their largest distributer), that causes the company to have to cut costs internally if they wish to sell their product. This causes systematic lay-offs or cheaper ingredients in their products. And since the Mom and Pop stores cannot compete with these prices what is left is no choice at all. And on top of that all that money that they take from the local economy isn't disbusted to local banks and trades but directly to large international conglomerates that fuel an ever expanding disparity in financial structures.

So yes they may be cheap but they drive out competition and all that is left is an ugly giant box on the outskirts of town, funnelling money overseas for no ones gain but the company themselves.

Timekeeper

I originally posted this not to neccesarily bash WalMart but to bring to light the idea that Disney which is all about BRAND management right now and carefully managing it's social media has decided to team up with a company which certainly has a negative BRAND issue.

But since the other issue has been breached let me go on the soap box for a minute. The issue with WalMart(besides the Union busting and gender equality issues) is the way the merchandice and finance techniques actually can hurt the consumer. .....

Exactly. We (as taxpayers) are paying much higher prices for Wal-Mart and their items (whether we shop there or not) than we realize. And there are more skeletons in their closet than just the ones you pointed out. It just comes down to consumer awareness. :cry:

Edit: There's nothing wrong with discussing whether certain brand relationships are bad ideas. For example, we can't bring up Captain EO without people bringing into question whether it's a good idea to "celebrate" someone who had certain allegations against them. The debate isn't whether Wal-Mart does or does not do bad things (the facts area already out there), but whether these brand partnerships are a good idea in light of those facts.

Uncle Lupe

I do not care who sponsors a pavilion. Just want quality attractions and less dead space. Not like we are mindless zombies who buys products just because of a ride.

I would like to see Walmart sponsor the grocery section of the hotel gift shop. Our mini muffins were so expensive that they became a luxury item on vacation. Had to ration them like we were stranded like the Swiss Family Robinson's.

box_minimuffins.jpg

*My 2 cents on this topic, as I feel I come from an area that Disney may be targeting with this campaign*

Just saw the shippers at my local Walmart and checked them out. Dont see the big deal. They had some cute merch & dvds of classics & new releases. We scanned the QR code they had on the shipper and downloaded the disney app. You take the pic with your smart phone and add digital stamps or borders to it. :shrug:
The shippers were covered in "Remember the Magic" and making new memories at disney parks. Maybe this move was just another part of their campaign to get people to see that a disney vacation can be "affordable"?
A Disney World vacation, growing up were I did & still live, was always something we thought of as a place "only the rich kids go to". Even as I was in school, I never heard the kids saying that they were going to disney world for a vacation. Even today, again around where I live, it still has this stigma. Whenever I say we are going they look at me like Ive got lobsters crawling out of my ears......

WDW1974

I'm sure the Four Seasons Resort chain is just champing at the bit to set up booking kiosk in Wal-Mart stores...or possibly a simulate facade of a Four Seasons Hotel where you can have your picture taken. After all. We wouldn't want to leave anybody out of the complete Disney experience.

Hey, the Four Seasons ain't gonna cut it with most WDW fanbois ... 'cause they don't have any princess-themed room!:eek::ROFLOL::drevil:

~Talk Dirty To Me~

trr1

a little off topic but
does anyone know what happened to the Disney vacation Commercials about a family of 4 going to disney for around $1600 and the parents saying i think we can do that. I liked those and it helped me convince my spouse to go once

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
a little off topic but
does anyone know what happened to the Disney vacation Commercials about a family of 4 going to disney for around $1600 and the parents saying i think we can do that. I liked those and it helped me convince my spouse to go once

They raised the prices! :lol:

Seriously, I do remember those but I haven't seen them in a while. :shrug:

WDW1974

Come on now, what in the world was wrong with my 'hide the vinylmation' post?

if the pic isn't just a bit (or two) TOO over the top for the site, how was the post?

~Seriously wondering~

dixiegirl

Come on now, what in the world was wrong with my 'hide the vinylmation' post?

if the pic isn't just a bit (or two) TOO over the top for the site, how was the post?

~Seriously wondering~

WDW1974, are we stiring up trouble again??? LOL:ROFLOL:

dixiegirl

They raised the prices! :lol:

Seriously, I do remember those but I haven't seen them in a while. :shrug:

I miss the older commercials, not a big fan of the newer ones(wish disney would catch on to that, but don't think they really care) This is why I love having the VHS's of the older disney movies, they have great commercials in them!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom