Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

WDW1974

Can they do anything to make The Hulk not rattle my brains each time I ride? Not that they have to, I love the ride but I don't think my head can handle it anymore. It is almost an instant headache for the rest of the day :(

That is one of multiple issues being addressed. ... It must have gotten much worse in the last 18 months or so (Despite many visits to UNI/IOA over this time, I have skipped Hulk on all of them ... when last I rode it was a bit rough, but not nearly as bad as DLP's Space Mountain!)

WDW1974

So before I try and read too much in between the lines.

1) @marni1971 hasn't said so explicitly, but this has absolutely nothing to do with WDW, correct?

2) Was the "deal" between Disneyland proper and Universal Orlando to 'pretty-please' not change the Hulk into Iron Man, as they wanted to create their own coaster in DCA? In a trade for giving the go-ahead on using more of the MCU movie depictions at IOA?

1.) Nothing at all to do with WDW. Just a Lifestyler looking for attention, which he naturally has gotten;
2.) There hasn't been any deal between DL and UNI-FL. From what I was told, Iron Man was just tossed out as a possibility. My guess is they felt leaving it alone was smart because it will be the same ride layout and it's a whole lot cheaper as Hulk is used on many UNI promo items (including shopping bags!) Micechat has reported a RnRC type coaster is coming to DCA (I know one was proposed, but no more) themed to Marvel. I'd guess it could be Spidey since that's the Parisian plan and two are cheaper than one.

WDW1974

I know Disney has been doing some SERIOUS work in planning an eventual DHS Marvel expansion behind RNRC, probably using all of that space occupied by those food stands (which were supposed to be only temporary to begin with) and those offices.

Honestly, Islands could use a booster shot, but I'll be heartbroken if and when they close Spider-Man...

Sounds like a waste of time ... not that I have heard of this ... but Disney plans lots of things and maybe 10% actually ever happen.

And I wouldn't worry, Spidey will be around for many years to come (and not moved to EPCOT!)

WDW1974

Do you know approx when that's going to happen? Anything else Marvel for WDSP in the near future?

No idea due to the recent financial issues and Disney finally wresting ownership control as they've been looking to do for over a decade now. But since this won't be a hugely costly change-out, I'm expecting within the next three years (possibly in time for the 25th of the resort in two years).

As to the other question, let's just say UNI isn't the only company working on an Avengers attraction, although I hesitate to put anything in Paris in the ''near future'' category!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
1.) Nothing at all to do with WDW. Just a Lifestyler looking for attention, which he naturally has gotten;
2.) There hasn't been any deal between DL and UNI-FL. From what I was told, Iron Man was just tossed out as a possibility. My guess is they felt leaving it alone was smart because it will be the same ride layout and it's a whole lot cheaper as Hulk is used on many UNI promo items (including shopping bags!) Micechat has reported a RnRC type coaster is coming to DCA (I know one was proposed, but no more) themed to Marvel. I'd guess it could be Spidey since that's the Parisian plan and two are cheaper than one.

Any updates on the Iron Man ride at HKDL?

Tony Perkis

The only rumor that I have heard over and over is the eventually re theming of Marvel Island to Wicked and with the film coming out next year...
original.gif

Tony Perkis

I don't see why it's so hard to even fathom Uni giving up the rights or them working out some deal with Disney, if that's even what this is. MSHI, apart from Spidey, is hardly all that impressive. Hulk is easily re-themed to something else. They can't use Marvel anywhere else anymore so why not just move on? I don't know why fans want to cling to IOA holding onto Marvel. They can do other things there and still keep Spidey.
You just relegated arguably the greatest theme park attraction ever developed to a footnote. Think about that.

HenryMystic

Good point and nice to see you back, Henry. Hope you don't have one of those Albert plushes as I've been told they're very cheaply made. Give my best to my fans under the scope.

And while island aesthetics will change some, you are absolutely right. The island will always be about the Marvel BRAND in general ... but you just 'may' see a much larger Avengers presence in a few years!
Thanks. What can I say? I'm drawn to Marvel contract threads like fanbois to the Orange Bird.

Mr. Peabody

It feels like we are no where further forward than we were 10 pages ago. We have just come full circle on understanding more on the contractual details but come to no major conclusions. I think this sums up what my understanding is too mr Peabody.

I guess a few people here know more than they can spill news about, but we are largely speculating about any possible agreements/new attractions/upgrades/updates/changes etc etc which may or may not occur soon or further into the future...it seems anything is theoretically possible...
Mini-rant coming up (not directed at you):

The only news in this whole thread is the rumor about Marvel Super Hero Island upgrades. The only reason we had to go through 10 pages of discussion about the contract to get there is because of, pardon the expression, fanboys whose desires to see Marvel in WDW have blinded them to the facts, even when others counter with links to the Marvel-Universal contract itself.

I would love it if a succinct write-up similar to my post could be stickied to the top of the news and rumors forum for people to read before they post anything related to Marvel in Orlando. That way, we could all save ourselves time and bandwidth every time Marvel is in the rumor mill.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

They can. They probably won't, because it gives publicity to a competitor's IP. Why build something where you get the direct benefits but a competitor gets the indirect benefits (licensing fees for merchandise, generating interest in movies and other projects with the characters, etc), when you could instead build something where you get the direct and indirect benefits. The only way Uni would build more Marvel stuff is if they had nothing of their own (or nothing available for license from non-competitors) that they felt could have comparable benefits to the park. So they probably won't. But they can.
I believe that your assessment is about 100% incorrect.

Disneyhead'71

There has been shrinkage within the contract. We are also not privy to any new amendments made and/or changed due to them lets certain aspects of the licensing lapse.

Its legal mumbo-jumbo right now. Universal does need to ask Marvel's permission to expand or change. That is not up for debate. What is up for debate is how good of a reason does Marvel need to give. My opinion, as several others, is that not much. Evidenced by the fact that during this Golden Age of Marvel, nothing new has been added or planned. Just cosmetic upgrades to rides and costumes to keep in line with the contract.

If I proven wrong in the future...fine.
Word of advice. Step off the soapbox before you look silly.

Disneyhead'71

Just to recap...

A D+ and an E last year
An E before that
An E currently being built
-in the same park as we're currently discussing a plussing and another E
And another E in the other park

Seems the Marvel IP, as big as it is, isn't the be all and end all for Comcast.
And an Xfinity NBC Sports Arena. And a new resort hotel.

And some vague rumors about a highly themed water park.

And wt? is gonna happen with Wet 'n Wild?

Tune in tomorrow for another exciting episode of "As The Globe Turns".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom