Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

shernernum

My hubby sent me this article earlier today...http://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-logs-first-operating-profit-in-four-years-1430994846
I would think Marvel is pulling out of Uni for sure...
How many times does it have to be said that these two things are unrelated? Cripes, read the thread and follow along.
And by your wording, Marvel can't "pull out" of Univ because they don't own the attractions or even the rights. The only way Marvel leaves IOA is if Univ allows it.

GiveMeTheMusic

lebeau

Marvel can't simply "pull out of" Universal....

Which is how this happened.

1082034254.jpeg

AEfx

So are there some Marvel properties Disney might be able to negotiate the rights to? Guardians maybe?

It's very likely that there is nothing to negotiate, at least regarding GoG.

Basically, the contract just spells out "character families" - GoG is not specifically mentioned (no one thought anyone would ever care). And because it is a relative obscurity who has interacted with various "families" but isn't specific to any one, it's pretty much left to interpretation.

GrumpyFan

It's very likely that there is nothing to negotiate, at least regarding GoG.

Basically, the contract just spells out "character families" - GoG is not specifically mentioned (no one thought anyone would ever care). And because it is a relative obscurity who has interacted with various "families" but isn't specific to any one, it's pretty much left to interpretation.

GoG is interesting, and I don't believe the Marvel contract specifically includes them. However, even if Disney can use them in Florida, which based on some of their appearances last year seems feasible, the movie and characters strike me as somewhat difficult to adapt to a theme park venue, not impossible, just difficult.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
GoG is interesting, and I don't believe the Marvel contract specifically includes them. However, even if Disney can use them in Florida, which based on some of their appearances last year seems feasible, the movie and characters strike me as somewhat difficult to adapt to a theme park venue, not impossible, just difficult.

The contract only gives an example of a family (Avengers), it doesn't call out what the familiar are or who are the member of each family are.

Mr. Peabody

So are there some Marvel properties Disney might be able to negotiate the rights to? Guardians maybe?
I'm not a comic book reader, but I think most or all of the MCU characters have been part of the Avengers family in the comics at some point, which would mean that Marvel retained the rights to those characters when the shrinkage clause went into effect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom