Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
There are 17 Superhero shows on TV now or coming up (Powers, Daredevil, Gotham, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, Agent Carter, The Flash, Arrow, Constantine, Supergirl, AKA Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, The Defenders, Titans, Lucifer, Preacher and Global Freq.)

Combine that with all the movies and you have a carp load of Superheros in the market now. And I digest just fine. But I usually sup on substance not the American manchild diet of Doritos, Mt. Dew, and Redbull.

safe_image.php
Netflix shows have virtually zero effect on market saturation because the user has to seek them out. They're not getting pushed on anybody. Also, you're blaming Marvel for every single piece of superhero media out there. Of the ones you listed, only Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter are linear content from the MCU. And considering that Agent Carter was an 8-episode miniseries that aired during SHIELD's midseason break and in the same time slot, I'm not sure that they need to be considered two separate things.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes. There's expansions pads all over... One behind NFL. One next to Space Mountain. There's one near BTMRR. I think there's others... Martin?
NFL has the waste of space tents that should've been the location of Frozen, but that's another story.

The land behind NFL is as available but it's not a designated expansion area.

Between Space and the CoP is. Land west of BTM is a long term expansion area, but so is part of Epcots parking lot.

As said earlier, other parks need adding to before the MK. What the MK needs is its existing attractions as good as they could be. In particular pirates, BTM and Space Mountain. And a major rethink of Tomorrowland.

mahnamahna101

Is their more land for another attraction? I think NFL is a gorgeous themed land so would love to see another attraction. I will admit the story times have never drawn me in and I am sure I am not the only one.
the entire Speedway if removed
the space behind the Speedway and Space Mountain
a huge chunk behind IASW/Mermaid
space within the current Fantasyland if the Imagineers get creative with space.
a solid chunk behind Big Thunder and HM
a pad by Adventureland (earmarked for Fire Mountain 15 years ago)

There's hypothetically room for 10-15 more attractions at MK if TDO was willing to invest $200 million-$500 million in reworked infrastructure/backstage areas

Disneyhead'71

Netflix shows have virtually zero effect on market saturation because the user has to seek them out. They're not getting pushed on anybody. Also, you're blaming Marvel for every single piece of superhero media out there. Of the ones you listed, only Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter are linear content from the MCU. And considering that Agent Carter was an 8-episode miniseries that aired during SHIELD's midseason break and in the same time slot, I'm not sure that they need to be considered two separate things.
I am not blaming Marvel for all the superhero content. But they do need to be cognizant of it. Which they don't seem to be.

And it's not just Superhero movies, it's really just the over abundance of shallow action content. The Superheros, the Fast 7, alien robots, etc.

I wouldn't expect someone with the screen name of Captain America to understand, but for the average consumer, it's simply too much.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I wouldn't expect someone with the screen name of Captain America to understand, but for the average consumer, it's simply too much.
You don't do these kinds of box office numbers and merchandise sales just from people with Captain America screen names. They're drawing piles and piles of "average consumers," too.

GLaDOS

And it's not just Superhero movies, it's really just the over abundance of shallow action content. The Superheros, the Fast 7, alien robots, etc.

Serious question: How is that any different than any other time period in cinema history? Movies have always been full of fluff. Hell, at least these movies are GOOD now. We could be stuck in the 80s with the crap Segal and Van Damme were shoveling back then.

Not to mention we live in a pretty terrific age of independent cinema.

I'm sure the superhero movies will cool eventually, but let's not act like a plethora of superhero content is tarnishing cinema, because that's just not true.

lebeau

Age of Ultron isn't a disaster, but it is a bit of a disappointment. You can definitely feel Marvel fatigue setting in. Too much of the movie is spent setting up the rest of Phase 3. I'm sure it will do killer box office. But I wonder if we won't see future Marvel movies drop off a bit as audiences get tired of the formula.

My spoiler-free review.

lebeau

Serious question: How is that any different than any other time period in cinema history? Movies have always been full of fluff. Hell, at least these movies are GOOD now. We could be stuck in the 80s with the crap Segal and Van Damme were shoveling back then.

I'm sure the superhero movies will cool eventually, but let's not act like a plethora of superhero content is tarnishing cinema, because that's just not true.

Movies haven't always been full of fluff. The summer movie season wasn't even invented until Jaws. Movies have steadily gotten bigger and dumber over the years. These days, there's almost no room at the box office for smaller personal movies. For better or worse, times are definitely different. That's why Spielberg and Lucas predicted an industry implosion a while back.

GLaDOS

These days, there's almost no room at the box office for smaller personal movies.

I mean...if that's the way you feel, that's the way you feel. But I've seen plenty of great independent movies in the past 5 years, and more I want to see but didn't get around to them. I'm not seeing the death of the art form so many seem to tout. Do these smaller movies get the advertising dollars? No, of course not. But they're there, and they're really not all that hard to find.

Disneyhead'71

The main difference is the entire tent pole film philosophy. Never before have we seen the market flooded with so many "Blockbuster" $200+ million movies. And when thy are laying out that kind of cash, it is going to have an equally large advertising presence.
avengers_chicken.jpg

doctornick

I love MCU but I have to say it is getting super saturated with them pumping out so many through various outlets (Netflix, Cable TV, Movies). With DC getting into the mix, I would not be surprised if the mainstream population will get "Superhero fatigue" in a few years.

I think that's certainly possible, but I do think it's more likely to affect "other" movies more/worse than the MCU, which is well established and has more cache. For example, wouldn't be surprised to see this summer's Fantastic Four movie kinda bomb.

In terms of the DC universe, the Suicide Squad movie will be an interesting test. Batman vs Superman will do great, to be sure. But Suicide Squad has little brand awareness among "regular" people and the DC movie universe will not be established enough to draw people in on the strength of just that.

GLaDOS

The main difference is the entire tent pole film philosophy. Never before have we seen the market flooded with so many "Blockbuster" $200+ million movies. And when thy are laying out that kind of cash, it is going to have an equally large advertising presence.

I guess I'm not sure why that matters? I don't really care how much was spent on a movie as long as it's an entertaining movie.

doctornick

Right, for the MK. Marvel doesn't fit in MK, any way. Or that ride technology could be adapted with Marvel themes outside of the MK.

Eh. I wouldn't have any problem with a Guardians of the Galaxy ride in Tomorrowland. That area is basically Sci-Fi fantasyland now anyway and it would actually be a better fit than Stitch or Monsters Inc.

doctornick

Was just chatting about this with someone the other night. NFL lacks capacity. People are drawn in but there's not enough to do. It's been quietly acknowledged by the powers in Orlando. It should have been the sponge. It could have been. But it isn't.

so ridiculous that they didn't have another ride or two in the package. Just having a BatB ride or a Sleeping Beauty ride in the "forest" area or a Pinocchio ride in the Circus would have made a significant difference in how the land was received.

doctornick

The Marvel Netflix shows are part of the MCU and will probably connect a bit more as more series come out. But, really, TV shows aren't going to impact the movies that much. none of the TV shows really draw that many viewers, certainly not enough to cause "fatigue" for movie audiences which is wear the big bucks are. And I've got to think that many of the folks loyally watching the TV shows are hardcore comic people who can't get enough content.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I think that's certainly possible, but I do think it's more likely to affect "other" movies more/worse than the MCU, which is well established and has more cache.
Sorry, pet peeve. You mean cachet. Cache (pronounced cash) is a stockpile or hoard, such as weapons. Cachet (cash-ay) is prestige, appeal, gravitas.

Disneyhead'71

so ridiculous that they didn't have another ride or two in the package. Just having a BatB ride or a Sleeping Beauty ride in the "forest" area or a Pinocchio ride in the Circus would have made a significant difference in how the land was received.
Doesn't anyone else think it's frickin' hilarious that to combat the MK's capacity problems they built a low capacity small family coaster?

And aren't you glad I didn't call it a Kiddie Coaster?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
The Marvel Netflix shows are part of the MCU and will probably connect a bit more as more series come out. But, really, TV shows aren't going to impact the movies that much. none of the TV shows really draw that many viewers, certainly not enough to cause "fatigue" for movie audiences which is wear the big bucks are. And I've got to think that many of the folks loyally watching the TV shows are hardcore comic people who can't get enough content.
I meant "linear" as in the distribution model, not the narrative continuity. Linear media being broadcast, cable, traditional radio, etc. As opposed to digital, on-demand, podcasts, Netflix, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom