Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

lebeau

Have you seen Age of Ultron? It was brilliant and the audience last night was buzzing through the whole thing. Ant-Man won't be anywhere near as successful, but it doesn't need to make Avengers or Iron Man levels of money. Interestingly, I made note of the audience's reaction to various trailers last night. Ant-Man got the biggest reaction (because it had humor and it was a decidedly pro-Marvel crowd) followed by BvS (because it's Batman and Superman). Fantastic Four got absolutely no reaction whatsoever. I think superhero fatigue might set in well before "Marvel fatigue" but I don't think that means audiences are going to give up on comic book movies all together. Rather, they'll be more discriminating and only see the good ones. I fully expect F4 to suck (and therefore flop).

No, I can't explain Ninja Turtles or Transformers.

Yes, I saw it. I thought it was disappointing. I enjoyed it well enough, but it was over-stuffed, too long and spent way too much time setting up the Phase 3 Marvel movies.

Critics are on the same page. Even though most of the reviews are positive, they are less positive than they were for the first movie and echo these complaints.

Disneyhead'71

Come on man, at least debate honestly. I don't think ANYONE here would suggest that a World War II era Steve Rodgers would be an appropriate fit for Tomorrowland. Stark Expo, on the other hand?

expo4.jpg

Stark%20Expo%202.jpg

Compare that to the 1964 World's Fair (you may have heard of it... Walt was a fan).

New_York_Worlds_Fair_1964_Bell_Telephone_Pavilion.jpg

4248859665_87ef08c69b.jpg
The 1964 World's Fair isn't all that futuristic either, now.

mahnamahna101

You don't know how desperately I want them to fix Space Mountain! Maybe you do know... Lol

Space Mountain at DL is probably the only ride where I can completely trance into a true suspension of disbelief... And parts of DL's version of Pirates...

I agree Tomorrowland needs fixing... But in "fixing", I mean Space Mountain, a good replacement for CoP, a high tech replacement for Grand Prix, and a new E-ticket (Tron?). The rest of MK needs DL's Alice in Wonderland, upgrades to BTMRR, IASW ripped out and the DL version built in its entirety in a new show building, effect upgrades to Peter Pan, and Fire Mountain. How much would that cost the company? The most expensive parts of my plan would probably be Fire Mountain and Tron. Okay, rebuilding IASW and building Alice would be expensive too. I'm guessing... Fire Mountain... $250 million... Tron... $250 million, IASW and Alice as one project (including demomolition and replacement of original IASW building)... $150 million... Ride upgrades... $50 million... TOTAL $700 million
Personally, I'd wait until after AK gets one more big addition after Pandora, DHS gets a Pixar expansion and Star Wars Land, and Epcot gets a major addition and overhaul after Frozen before expansion of MK.

But if I had to determine MK's 10 biggest needs
  1. Fixing Tomorrowland (bulldoze the Speedway which would make room for a Fantasyland expansion and a Tomorrowland expansion behind Speedway/Space... 2 new E-tickets and I new C-ticket for Tomorrowland as a result, retheme Stitch, revamp CoP, update Space Mountain)
  2. Family dark ride for Frontierland (Western River Expedition or something original)
  3. Thrill ride for Adventureland (Fire Mountain, Indiana Jones or JttCotE - any of those three)
  4. Relocation of Philmarmagic to Main Street
  5. Peter Pan revamp/expansion
  6. Rework backstage infrastructure behind IASW/Mermaid to enable further Fantasyland expansion
  7. Better show quality for Storybook Circus
  8. Wonderland mini-land
  9. Actual dark ride for B&TB
  10. Removal of Princess Fairytale Hall for a moderate capacity dark ride

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Yes, I saw it. I thought it was disappointing. I enjoyed it well enough, but it was over-stuffed, too long and spent way too much time setting up the Phase 3 Marvel movies.
I've seen this complaint a number of times and I don't see it. I'm not trying to be combative, I'm honestly curious why you feel that way.

I guess Thor's vision set up Ragnarok a bit, but I didn't even think of that until this morning. The new lineup reveal at the end didn't bother me much because it was at the end. We didn't see anything about Strange, Panther, Captain Marvel, Spider-Man or Inhumans. Is it the Infinity Stone that bugged you? I didn't think there was too much fluff in that story line that didn't connect directly into Ultron and his quest to create offspring.

Critics are on the same page.
Audiences aren't.

Even though most of the reviews are positive, they are less positive than they were for the first movie and echo these complaints.
That's fair. But both the first Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy were unlike anything people had seen before. While I agree that AOU failed to present "something new," I still think they did a great job on delivering "something familiar that lots of people like."

Last edited:

71jason

I could see a deal where Uni is allowed to hold onto the characters they have now and use the cinematic versions while Disney may be allowed to use characters not represented like GoTG, Agent Carter, Ant Man, and such....

Then you clearly haven't seen the contract because Sharon Carter and Ant Man are easily covered by it. Cap's g/f and a founding Avenger.

Seriously, tho ... what the hell would an Agent Carter attraction entail? It was a low-rated TV show. Who is clamoring for that over Star Wars or more Frozen? Why are you so desperate to see something, anything from Marvel in WDW?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Then you clearly haven't seen the contract because Sharon Carter and Ant Man are easily covered by it. Cap's g/f and a founding Avenger.

Seriously, tho ... what the hell would an Agent Carter attraction entail? It was a low-rated TV show. Who is clamoring for that over Star Wars or more Frozen? Why are you so desperate to see something, anything from Marvel in WDW?
I'm with you. I'd love to see Marvel at WDW but I doubt I ever will. And if I ever do, I'd want "real" Marvel. Cap, Spidey, Wolverine. Not Peggy Carter.

lebeau

I've seen this complaint a number of times and I don't see it. I'm not trying to be combative, I'm honestly curious why you feel that way.

[Very mild AOU SPOILERS]

I guess Thor's vision set up Ragnarok a bit, but I didn't even think of that until this morning. The new lineup reveal at the end didn't bother me much because it was at the end. We didn't see anything about Strange, Panther, Captain Marvel, Spider-Man or Inhumans. Is it the Infinity Stone that bugged you? I didn't think there was too much fluff in that story line that didn't connect directly into Ultron and his quest to create offspring.

[END SPOILERS]

Audiences aren't.

That's fair. But both the first Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy were unlike anything people had seen before. While I agree that AOU failed to present "something new," I still think they did a great job on delivering "something familiar that lots of people like."

I'm not surprised that the audience that attended the midnight screening on a Thursday night went nuts. That's what midnight screenings are for. I've talked to several people who saw the movie who were disappointed.

I don't want to go into all the set-ups. It would be too spoilery considering most people are just getting a chance to see the movie today. But there's plenty. The entire Thor section you referenced would be one. The character played by Andy Serkis and that entire section would be another.

Is it bad? No. Did I have fun? Yes. Am I as excited for Phase 3 as I was for Phase 2 after Avengers. Not remotely.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
The character played by Andy Serkis and that entire section would be another.
Maybe. But I suspect it's much more likely that anyone to whom "Wakanda" or "Ulysses Klaw" means anything is already a fanboy and will digest whatever content Marvel puts out there. I went alone last night but I suspect when I go again with my wife tomorrow those things are going to go completely over her head.

In other words, you only notice the setting up of Phase 3 if you already know what Phase 3 is. And if you already know what Phase 3 is, then you're a Marvel fan anyways. So the unsullied* viewers will be oblivious to all that.

*Unsullied is what ASoIAF book readers call those who watch the TV show only. I think it applies here.

lazyboy97o

Come on man, at least debate honestly. I don't think ANYONE here would suggest that a World War II era Steve Rodgers would be an appropriate fit for Tomorrowland. Stark Expo, on the other hand?

expo4.jpg

Stark%20Expo%202.jpg

Compare that to the 1964 World's Fair (you may have heard of it... Walt was a fan).

New_York_Worlds_Fair_1964_Bell_Telephone_Pavilion.jpg

4248859665_87ef08c69b.jpg
Stark Expo would just be more proof of Disney's disdain for themed entertainment. The expos show the power of themed and experience entertainment as a medium. They don't need branding to work. Stark Expo is a copy of something Disney did and has dismissed as silly and irrelevant.

PhotoDave219

[Very mild AOU SPOILERS]

[END SPOILERS]

Audiences aren't.

We have a spoiler tag for a reason.

Please use it.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Stark Expo would just be more proof of Disney's disdain for themed entertainment. The expos show the power of themed and experience entertainment as a medium. They don't need branding to work. Stark Expo is a copy of something Disney did and has dismissed as silly and irrelevant.
Just because they don't need branding to work doesn't mean the branding automatically makes it somehow worse. A plain white coffee mug does a perfectly fine job holding coffee and delivering it to my mouth. But I still prefer the one on my desk with Mickey Mouse on it.

lebeau

Maybe. But I suspect it's much more likely that anyone to whom "Wakanda" or "Ulysses Klaw" means anything is already a fanboy and will digest whatever content Marvel puts out there. I went alone last night but I suspect when I go again with my wife tomorrow those things are going to go completely over her head.

In other words, you only notice the setting up of Phase 3 if you already know what Phase 3 is. And if you already know what Phase 3 is, then you're a Marvel fan anyways. So the unsullied* viewers will be oblivious to all that.

*Unsullied is what ASoIAF book readers call those who watch the TV show only. I think it applies here.

No, I know that stuff went over most people's head. Whedon had to devote runtime in his movie to introducing characters and concepts that won't come into play fully until over movies. That's why Age of Ultron runs on for over two hours. He did it relatively artfully. But the movie would have been tighter as a stand-alone movie without a half hour setting up Black Panther, Thor: Ragnorak, Infity War, etc.

Here's my full spoiler-free review.

H2O_Mouse-Ears

Critics are on the same page. Even though most of the reviews are positive, they are less positive than they were for the first movie and echo these complaints.
Agreed. Enjoyable but falls short in every facet in comparison to the first one. Two major dislikes:
Widow-Hulk romance and out-of-the-blue Hawkeye family
Soooo forced.

Last edited:

JediMasterMatt

Good discussions going on here.

Some argue EE isn't an E. I would.

EE is an E everywhere but the actual ride part of the attraction if playing by Disney Parks legacy standards; but, since we are now in a new World order - it's definitely an E ticket by WDW 2015 standards. On Frozen Pond in EPCOT will be an E by the 2015, soon to be 2016 standards. *It most definitely won't be E worthy.

The absolute last thing WDW needs is something that will draw crowds to the MK. LAST.

In fact, I'd argue that the biggest reason DHS needs to be expanded is not for DHS' own sake, but to relieve the pressure on MK's gates. New Fantasyland completely backfired in that regard. It was supposed to be a sponge to absorb capacity, but it drew more crowds than it was able to handle and actually make MK more congested, not less.

Was just chatting about this with someone the other night. NFL lacks capacity. People are drawn in but there's not enough to do. It's been quietly acknowledged by the powers in Orlando. It should have been the sponge. It could have been. But it isn't.

You know the really weird thing about NFL, is that in some ways - it may have been better for the overall health of the entire resort had the originally announced meet-and-grope heavy lineup had been implemented. It would've had more queue lines for guests to be pulled into with the additional M-n-G's with Pixie Hollow, Cinderella, and Aurora. It also would've had the Pixie Hollow themed multi-platform Whip (re-skinned Mater's Junkyard Jamboree) as another attraction with capacity and it would've likely been close to a wash in capacity when compared to 7DMT. You could also argue that the "new coaster" draw of 7DMT is bringing more people into the resort and already saturated MK than what the original plans were. So, while we would likely all still choose the current NFL lineup over the original - the extra capacity, however horrendously slow the M-n-G's would've been, did allow for more things for people to do and more importantly get in line for than the existing NFL.

Of course neither the existing or proposed NFL's are actually what MK and WDW really needed and still do. Kinda like the additional capacity for TSMM and Soarin', they are nice to haves; but, not really solving the systemic problems that are originally causing the issue for them to be in high demand to begin with.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom