Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Haymarket

South Korea is certainly a good news story. Elemental was absolutely carried by that market. Inside Out 2 could have a ton of upside there.

Again... Disney... pay attention to South Korea. A part of your P&R is built to be moved around the world for example.
What's "P&R"?

Phroobar

Yeah, I don't recall that. Great Movie Ride? There was a bunch of non-Disney stuff in there, right? I do remember the Alien Encounter attraction, but that was a different creature.
iu
iu

2504369961048186868.jpg

Vegas Disney Fan

Well to be fair, I think most of the conversation is in the actual movie threads. This has definitely been a thread discussion about Disney doing poorly. But I don't think the majority of us were celebrating. They have done well and most of what I've read has given props to them. Don't get me wrong, there was celebrating, but it was hardly the majority of us. I'll rag on Disney all day if it's warranted. But it's not out of celebration, but out of wanting improvement.
I don’t find it that odd either, when someone does what you expect there typically isn’t much to say, when they dont do the expected is when you typically analyze why.

If Usain Bolt wins the 100m there’s not much to say beyond a page or 2 of “yep, he’s the best”, if he comes in last or he falls on his face we’ll all debate “why”, and that can go on for dozens, or even hundreds, of pages.

We had a pretty good side conversation going for a while but some people got upset we were getting off topic so it went silent again. When you can’t get into side topics you’re kind of left with “good job Disney”, and if that’s all that’s allowed the thread falls off the “what’s new” section into obscurity until someone revives it.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
I don’t find it that odd either, when someone does what you expect there typically isn’t much to say, when they dont do the expected is when you typically analyze why.

If Usain Bolt wins the 100m there’s not much to say beyond a page or 2 of “yep, he’s the best”, if he comes in last or he falls on his face we’ll all debate “why”, and that can go on for dozens, or even hundreds, of pages.

We had a pretty good side conversation going for a while but some people got upset we were getting off topic so it went silent again. When you can’t get into side topics you’re kind of left with “good job Disney”.
Maybe we can try again now that every third post isn’t from “You are ignoring content by this member.” 😂

Vegas Disney Fan

Maybe we can try again now that every third post isn’t from “You are ignoring content by this member.” 😂
Maybe but there really isn’t much to say, Alien is far exceeding my expectations so there’s that but otherwise there’s not much to discuss about the box office.

I editing my previous post to include that once something falls off the “what’s new” page it typically gets very quiet, I suspect that will happen here again once people congratulate Disney on Aliens doing well, then the thread will be revived to discuss Mufasa when it hits theaters in a couple months.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

We had a pretty good side conversation going for a while but some people got upset we were getting off topic so it went silent again. When you can’t get into side topics you’re kind of left with “good job Disney”.
I think the point was, if this was just a thread to gripe about the latest Disney movie to fail then its not really a "Box Office Status" thread as was claimed by many here who wanted to compare other movies to the latest Disney movie, its just a Disney gripe fest thread then. As the issue was that too many were clogging up the individual movie threads with box office comparisons, which is why this thread was created in the first place.

So if its just a gripe fest, then we don't need the thread.

LittleBuford

We had a pretty good side conversation going for a while but some people got upset we were getting off topic so it went silent again. When you can’t get into side topics you’re kind of left with “good job Disney”, and if that’s all that’s allowed the thread falls off the “what’s new” section into obscurity until someone revives it.
The claim, however, was that the posts that have suddenly disappeared were merely aimed at informing us all of the box-office numbers. Those numbers are still there, but they no longer tell the same story, which I suppose is why the endless stream of updates, tables, and graphs has suddenly dried up.

erasure fan1

We had a pretty good side conversation going for a while but some people got upset we were getting off topic so it went silent again.
That's how it goes around here. People get mad that things get analyzed and broken down. Then the thread dies and people wonder why.

The mermaid thread was the best example of this. One group was mad we were talking about the box office and what went wrong because it was disrupting the people who wanted to talk about the good things and what they loved about it. So a thread was created specifically for talking about box office. So what happened next? The main thread died almost instantly and the people who were upset we were talking about box office invaded the other thread to complain we were talking about box office and ragging on Disney. It's crazy.

erasure fan1

I think the point was, if this was just a thread to gripe about the latest Disney movie to fail then its not really a "Box Office Status" thread as was claimed by many here who wanted to compare other movies to the latest Disney movie, its just a Disney gripe fest thread then. As the issue was that too many were clogging up the individual movie threads with box office comparisons, which is why this thread was created in the first place.

So if its just a gripe fest, then we don't need the thread.
But wasn't this thread started because some people got mad because the negativity in the main threads? And didn't want to hear about box-office and that stuff?
I figured we could create a thread to discuss all things Disney, and their box office performance, instead of littering the various threads.
The problem is no one's complaining in the main threads when talking about box-office because it's been pretty positive. The people who wanted to discuss the issues were forced out of the main threads. Now, there's not much to discuss outside of what's already in the main threads. So yea, this thread has died down.

Chi84

Premium Member
That's how it goes around here. People get mad that things get analyzed and broken down. Then the thread dies and people wonder why.

The mermaid thread was the best example of this. One group was mad we were talking about the box office and what went wrong because it was disrupting the people who wanted to talk about the good things and what they loved about it. So a thread was created specifically for talking about box office. So what happened next? The main thread died almost instantly and the people who were upset we were talking about box office invaded the other thread to complain we were talking about box office and ragging on Disney. It's crazy.
Both threads went sideways because people insisted on using the box office numbers to discuss their opinions on controversial social issues.

Ripken10

With no major movies and only 2 small-to-mid budget movies opening this weekend that is almost a guarantee.
While I think Deadpool will end up on top, it is far from a guarentee, and some are predicting differentely...

Variety also has it very close

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom