Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

erasure fan1

I think you're taking things to extremes here. Do I believe that all kids across the board should be allowed in rated R movies, no. But do I believe that a parent should be able to make a judgement call for their own child, yes as they know them best.
I get the philosophy that parents should decide what's best for their kid. But there's not much evidence to say it's healthy for a 6yr old to see that kind of violence and language. We aren't talking about a 12 or 13 year old. We're talking about kindergarten or 1st grade. While having your 6yr get drunk is worse than seeing Deadpool. Let's not kid ourselves that a 6ry old, no matter how advanced you think they are, have the ability to process something like Deadpool. But too many people are afraid to say, yes, I don't think that's right so they don't offend anyone.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I get the philosophy that parents should decide what's best for their kid. But there's not much evidence to say it's healthy for a 6yr old to see that kind of violence and language. We aren't talking about a 12 or 13 year old. We're talking about kindergarten or 1st grade. While having your 6yr get drunk is worse than seeing Deadpool. Let's not kid ourselves that a 6ry old, no matter how advanced you think they are, have the ability to process something like Deadpool. But too many people are afraid to say, yes, I don't think that's right so they don't offend anyone.
Its not a blanket thing though, and that is the point that I think you're ignoring. Its on a case-by-case basis. As I said I don't believe that all kids should be allowed in to see any and all rated R movies. But I do believe that a parent has the right to decide for themselves and their kid whether a particular rated R movie is appropriate for them or not. And I'm thankful that this country allows parents that right to decide for themselves, at least for now.

erasure fan1

Its not a blanket thing though, and that is the point that I think you're ignoring. Its on a case-by-case basis. As I said I don't believe that all kids should be allowed in to see any and all rated R movies. But I do believe that a parent has the right to decide for themselves and their kid whether a particular rated R movie is appropriate for them or not. And I'm thankful that this country allows parents that right to decide for themselves, at least for now.
Im not ignoring it. There's just zero evidence that points to watching that type of content is anything but detrimental to such a young child. That's the point that you seem to ignore. I agree it's not a blanket thing. I don't think this type of movie is appropriate for any kindergartner or 1st grader no matter how much the parents think their kid is ready for it. You want to let your 6yr old watch avengers, okay, it's not anything like a Deadpool film. I guess I'm just a bit shocked that thinking Deadpool isn't appropriate for 6yr olds is such a controversial take. Morales be damned I guess.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Im not ignoring it. There's just zero evidence that points to watching that type of content is anything but detrimental to such a young child. That's the point that you seem to ignore. I agree it's not a blanket thing. I don't think this type of movie is appropriate for any kindergartner or 1st grader no matter how much the parents think their kid is ready for it. You want to let your 6yr old watch avengers, okay, it's not anything like a Deadpool film. I guess I'm just a bit shocked that thinking Deadpool isn't appropriate for 6yr olds is such a controversial take. Morales be damned I guess.
I'm not ignoring anything you've said. I understand your point of view, that you believe that its harmful to the child to watch said movies. I've even said overall that it not a blanket situation where all kids should be allowed to see all rated R movies. My point however, and I repeat, is its not for you, me, or anyone else to dictate what is appropriate or not appropriate on someone else's child. It should be the parents choice whether they feel said movie is appropriate or not.

LittleBuford

Unless I’ve misunderstood, you’ve mentioned more than once that you as a moviegoer are not comfortable with other peoples’ children sharing the theater with you to watch a rated R movie.
Thankfully, it’s nothing I’ve ever experienced; I was speaking hypothetically.

My point is that your comfort level was never a factor in putting these guidelines in place, so it has no direct bearing on the discussion of whether to change those guidelines.
My comfort levels have nothing to do with why I think the restrictions should be in place; they just happen to coincide in this instance with what I think is best for the children in question. There are plenty of things I’m personally uncomfortable with but don’t wish to see legislated against.

I’m not sure how else to put it other than to cite my earlier example of The Exorcist. No parent in the world should be able to take their six-year-old to the cinema to see such a film. Not all choices are valid or appropriate just because of some vague notion of personal freedom.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
By that logic, one should have nothing to say about parents who choose not to put seatbelts on their children or who choose to give them alcohol.
Um... technically... 🤓

Parents can give their own children alcohol in their homes. Some cultures introduce drinking wine (sometimes watered down) as part of the family meal. Totally legal.

Can't serve children in your home that aren't yours, except many states allow that if their parent is there and consents.

Businesses can't server minors.. except in Texas, of course. (Parent must be there.)

LittleBuford

Um... technically... 🤓

Parents can give their own children alcohol in their homes. Some cultures introduce drinking wine (sometimes watered down) as part of the family meal. Totally legal.

Can't serve children in your home that aren't yours, except many states allow that if their parent is there and consents.

Businesses can't server minors.. except in Texas, of course. (Parent must be there.)

I appreciate the correction. It doesn’t really change the point I was making, however. @Wendy Pleakley’s last post aligns pretty closely with my thoughts and does a better job of conveying the argument than I seem to be doing.

DKampy

Um... technically... 🤓

In Wisconsin you are able to share a drink with a kid in a bar if you are the parent…. I was shocked when my parents moved here in the 90’s… My dad tested this…. Ordered my younger brother a glass of Champaign which the sever gladly served him

celluloid

Um... technically... 🤓

Most states under 21 can possesses it on the own home, but it found to be drinking it, consuming it is still illegal.

Possession and consumption are different. And people get arrested getting that confused all the time.

Vegas Disney Fan

For Disney, really good.

Deadpool and Wolverine - $912M WW
Inside Out 2 - $1.56B WW

End of box office update.
I always chuckle when people complain about tangent discussions, if we limited this thread strictly to box office numbers it would literally consist of a couple posts a week mirroring this one… which I can easily find online, it’s the tangent discussions that makes it interesting.

See you next week for the next post.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I always chuckle when people complain about tangent discussions, if we limited this thread strictly to box office numbers it would literally consist of a couple posts a week mirroring this one… which I can easily find online, it’s the tangent discussions that makes it interesting.

See you next week for the next post.
Agreed, these forums would be pretty boring if we strictly stuck to the topic of the threads.

The Mom

Premium Member
LOL, I was just going to post that! This is going no where, because everyone has their own opinion on the matter and No One is going to change that - no matter how much it is rehashed over and over again.
So, how's the current state of the box office?
Exactly - people have different opinions as to what is or isn't appropriate for children to experience and at what age. So please stick to the box office stats - not parenting discussions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom