Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

BuddyThomas

I agree with you BUT the marketing, interviews with the actors (including directors) and headlines discuss the agenda. TLM and the Marvels are two movies that no one wanted. People are done with remakes and the Marvels were three characters either people did not know or again did not want. They are D level characters.
I’m someone. I wanted The Little Mermaid. So did millions of others. Thus, you just spread fake news, New Member, and you just spread an “agenda”.

jrice

I’m someone. I wanted The Little Mermaid. So did millions of others. Thus, you just spread fake news, New Member, and you just spread an “agenda”.
You wanted another remake? Why? It lost money and people were upset what Disney did to an iconic movie. Wouldn’t you want a new mermaid story?
Fake news? People are voting with their wallets and even Disney has acknowledged that their story telling has been sub-standard.

BuddyThomas

You wanted another remake? Why? It lost money and people were upset what Disney did to an iconic movie. Wouldn’t you want a new mermaid story?
Fake news? People are voting with their wallets and even Disney has acknowledged that their story telling has been sub-standard.
Whether you like it or not, the movie was excellent and it was not the flop that you and your brethren claim.

jrice

You brought it up - so say what you mean.
Disney is an entertainment company. It is currently not entertaining the MAJORITY of it audience. Disney is trying to weave in a typical film festival type movie into mainstream media. Not working.

Many parents are not ready to discuss LGBTQ+ with their children or have Disney tell us how to think. This is the risk they are taking and it is not resonating with the audience. Disney can make these movies for a much smaller audience or go to straight to Disney+. Again, this is why they are losing the family audience because they no longer trust Disney.

Again, Disney has acknowledged this “misalignment” with the public and consumer preference which affects demand and profitability. There is not enough of a demographic to risk these movies for the majority.

BuddyThomas

Disney is an entertainment company. It is currently not entertaining the MAJORITY of it audience. Disney is trying to weave in a typical film festival type movie into mainstream media. Not working.

Many parents are not ready to discuss LGBTQ+ with their children or have Disney tell us how to think. This is the risk they are taking and it is not resonating with the audience. Disney can make these movies for a much smaller audience or go to straight to Disney+. Again, this is why they are losing the family audience because they no longer trust Disney.

Again, Disney has acknowledged this “misalignment” with the public and consumer preference which affects demand and profitability. There is not enough of a demographic to risk these movies for the majority.
And there we have it, folks.

LittleBuford

You mean losing money is not considered a flop? What business do you run where make things to lose money? You wouldn’t.
I would call it a disappointment rather than a flop. I struggle to see how the latter term can be applied to the seventh highest-grossing film globally (and fifth domestically) of the year.

If losing money is the only criterion that matters, then one would have to consider Cleopatra a flop, even though it was the highest-grossing film of 1963 and won four Oscars.

J4546

ahhh, that "agenda", yes how dare they have gay people in their movies

LittleBuford

Many parents are not ready to discuss LGBTQ+ with their children or have Disney tell us how to think.
Disney is not alone in representing queer people. Indeed, trying to shield one’s children from knowledge of our existence will soon become as impossible as shielding them from knowledge of interracial relationships. Films and TV shows reflect the world we live in; like it or not, that world includes people who aren’t straight.

LSLS

I said it earlier, but I'll say again to me, a flop is a movie that doesn't make a profit, and underperforms expectations. To me, TLM would fall into that. Now, there are degrees of flops, but those are the criteria I would use personally.

LSLS

So, where does that fit into almost all of the Disney shows? And why has there not been backlash for the other studios doing the same thing if that's truly an issue?

imagineer97

In the Parks
No

There is no denying that their emphasis on messaging over storytelling has negatively affected their business.
So, where does that fit into almost all of the Disney shows? And why has there not been backlash for the other studios doing the same thing if that's truly an issue?
It's a lot more expensive to produce a feature released in theaters than a TV show. Disney has a reputation for being accessible for everyone...now there is a demographic that is rejecting it, for the reasons jrice and several others have stated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom