Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

CinematicFusion

Maybe this can shed some light on the box office percentage take debate.You can skip to 14:20 for some good insight on some of what we've been talking about.

While it's not confirming an exact percentage, Matts example of profitability for his film was
Budget+marketing than multiply by 2
for the number you need to profit. I wonder if there's anyone on the boards who's been using that same approximation? 🤔
Maybe Matts just not reputable enough, who knows?

300 million to make Mermaid
140 to market
880 million to make a profit

celluloid

If Mermaid would have made anything close to a healthy profit. It would have a sequel would have been greenlit by now.

Not what they wanted it to. Another under the green(sing it as a parody if you want) line in a year of disappointment for the company who could not catch a break this year.

Phroobar

I saw Studio Ghibli's The Boy and the Heron last night. It was beautiful and very emotional with a lot of layers. It was classic Ghibli and should be up for best picture if it meets the cutoff date. I love how Studio Ghibli still makes wonderfully crafted movies. It was worth seeing in the theater subtitled or even dubbed. Mark Hamill was part of the dubbed cast.

DKampy

I saw Studio Ghibli's The Boy and the Heron last night. It was beautiful and very emotional with a lot of layers. It was classic Ghibli and should be up for best picture if it meets the cutoff date. I love how Studio Ghibli still makes wonderfully crafted movies. It was worth seeing in the theater subtitled or even dubbed. Mark Hamill was part of the dubbed cast.

It made the cutoff… most people are predicting it will win best animated…but no one seems to
Have it even being nominated for best picture

Phroobar

It made the cutoff… most people are predicting it will win best animated…but no one seems to
Have it even being nominated for best picture
I don't think they have gotten that far yet. These are the titles up for consideration to be nominated. I think I've seen most of them. If I had to chose the nominations I would go with the red bolded ones in the list.

Animated Feature
"The Amazing Maurice"
"Blue Giant"
"The Boy and the Heron"
"Chang'an"
"Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget"
"Deep Sea"
"Elemental"
"Ernest & Celestine: A Trip to Gibberitia"
"The First Slam Dunk"
"The Inventor"
"Leo"
"Lonely Castle in the Mirror"
"The Magician's Elephant"
"Migration"
"Miraculous: Ladybug & Cat Noir, The Movie"
"The Monkey King"
"My Love Affair with Marriage"
"Nimona"
"Paw Patrol: The Mighty Movie"
"The Peasants"
"Perlimps"
"Robot Dreams"
"Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken"
"Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse"
"The Super Mario Bros. Movie"
"Suzume"
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem"
"They Shot the Piano Player"
"Titina"
"Trolls Band Together"
"Unicorn Wars"
"Warrior King"
"Wish"

DKampy

I don't think they have gotten that far yet. These are the titles up for consideration to be nominated. I think I've seen most of them. If I had to chose the nominations I would go with the red bolded ones in the list.

Animated Feature
"The Amazing Maurice"
"Blue Giant"
"The Boy and the Heron"
"Chang'an"
"Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget"
"Deep Sea"
"Elemental"
"Ernest & Celestine: A Trip to Gibberitia"
"The First Slam Dunk"
"The Inventor"
"Leo"
"Lonely Castle in the Mirror"
"The Magician's Elephant"
"Migration"
"Miraculous: Ladybug & Cat Noir, The Movie"
"The Monkey King"
"My Love Affair with Marriage"
"Nimona"
"Paw Patrol: The Mighty Movie"
"The Peasants"
"Perlimps"
"Robot Dreams"
"Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken"
"Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse"
"The Super Mario Bros. Movie"
"Suzume"
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem"
"They Shot the Piano Player"
"Titina"
"Trolls Band Together"
"Unicorn Wars"
"Warrior King"
"Wish"
Yeah they haven’t…I am just going by what some critics I have watched predicted… nothing is written in stone yet… the academy have not even voted yet… and they are different then critics… but I do agree with your choices

Phroobar

Yeah they haven’t…I am just going by what some critics I have watched predicted… nothing is written in stone yet… the academy have not even voted yet… and they are different then critics… but I do agree with your choices
I got to say out of that list, "Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken" was the worst of them all. Even Paw Patrol had some redeeming qualities.

Animaniac93-98

Per Deadline, Boy and the Heron is projected to be the #1 movie at the box office this weekend, between $10.7-$12 million.

Some stats for that number:

- Best domestic opening for a Studio Ghibli film
- Best non IP anime opening ever
- Best opening for a non IP 2D animated movie since Princess and the Frog
-
First foreign film to top domestic box office this year

Tony the Tigger

I sell those soundtracks like crazy.

celluloid

The internet sheds light these days…

and Disney is “infallible ip”…so most full well know who’s making the flops they have no intention watching these days

It's almost like ole Celluloid and most other posters know what a brand problem means. ;)
Disney's relevance has faded a lot these last couple of years(in branding terminology) not the end of the company, but an odd era to end.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's almost like ole Celluloid and moat other posters know what a brand problem means. ;)
Disney's relevance has faded a lot these last couple of years(in branding terminology) not the end of the company, but an odd era to end.
Well that’s about excuse 47 on why Disney is making crap that bombed the whole year…on their own merits. None of it was above average at best.

But the defenders are scoring less victories than Custer and the Italian army here

celluloid

Well that’s about excuse 47 on why Disney is making crap that bombed the whole year…on their own merits. None of it was above average at best.

But the defenders are scoring less victories than Custer and the Italian army here

Just remember, when all other excuses the friendly ghost and the McMickey tend to say that the hits were "Unicorns."

There are like ten this year and still many less releases than 2019 theatrically, but still, somehow, all those hits are Unicorns because Disney struggled.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just remember, when all other excuses the friendly ghost and the McMickey tend to say that the hits were "Unicorns."

There are like ten this year and still many less releases than 2019 theatrically, but still, somehow, all those hits are Unicorns because Disney struggled.
Yeah…

In 2022 avatar 2 (same confusion) and Spider-man fan service (which wasn’t good but got all the kids from the bong store to show up)…we’re hits of their own Mérits…

…but top gun…shot on this planet with like 90% real world actual photography…was a total my little pony

Yep…totally obvious

Magenta Panther

If I may digress...

I am absolutely delighted that the animated film "The Boy and the Heron" has apparently earned 12.8 million at the U.S. box office and debuted at number one. Why am I so delighted? Because it's a Hayao Miyazaki film - and Miyazaki created one of my favorite animated films of all time - "Spirited Away". The other reason I'm delighted is because it's in glorious 2D animation. What's not to celebrate? Imagine a 2D animated film topping the box office in 2023. It's a freaking miracle. It proves that an appetite and audience for 2D animation is out there, and that an animation studio can tap into it - given the right project and the right artists behind it.

Now I like CG animation. But good, quality 2D animation has a way of delighting the eye that CG doesn't. Look at the short "Once Upon A Studio", where both types of animation are mixed, and very effectively. The 2D easily stands its ground with the CG - it in no way looks inferior. Remember the scene where Mickey and Minnie jump out of the picture frame? Now imagine that animated in CG. It would lose a tremendous amount of visual appeal in that mode. 2D was the right way to go there.

It's too much to hope, I know, that Disney will ever choose to try to produce another 2D animated feature film. But if it did, what I'd like to see is a 2D animated version of "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" (didn't much care for the live-action movie) or "The Last Unicorn". Something based on a good book and has a lot of magic in it. Something that's worthy of the glorious 2D Disney animated films of yore. But yeah, that's too much to hope for...

Phroobar

It's too much to hope, I know, that Disney will ever choose to try to produce another 2D animated feature film. But if it did, what I'd like to see is a 2D animated version of "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" (didn't much care for the live-action movie) or "The Last Unicorn". Something based on a good book and has a lot of magic in it. Something that's worthy of the glorious 2D Disney animated films of yore. But yeah, that's too much to hope for...
The Boy and Heron was amazing and extremely emotional. It doesn't top my favorite of Howe's Moving Castle but it is right up there.

I don't think modern Disney would ever do anything by C.S. Lewis because of the Christian allegory. They would mangle it. However, I do think they should revisit the Chronicles of Prydain again or do The Princess and the Goblin. The 90's Hemdale version was pretty good.

iu

EPCOT-O.G.

The Boy and Heron was amazing and extremely emotional. It doesn't top my favorite of Howe's Moving Castle but it is right up there.

I don't think modern Disney would ever do anything by C.S. Lewis because of the Christian allegory. They would mangle it. However, I do think they should revisit the Chronicles of Prydain again or do The Princess and the Goblin. The 90's Hemdale version was pretty good.

iu
Given their forays into fantasy lately - e.g. Willow and a bunch of D+ stuff - I’d rather they not touch Prydain chronicles

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom